XPEnology Community

Success: HP ThinClient HP T620 Dual Core with Jun's 1.02b and DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3 as DS3615xs

Fratscha

Hi there,

picked up a Thin Client from HP a while ago and used it as a Ubuntu server with minecraft server running on it. As this is now obsolete, I thought about other uses for that machine.

It is this one: https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t620/  Parkytowers is the Infoportal for the repose for older ThinClients.

image.thumb.png.278e69c4c59d1694cc70fcddd94129dd.png

Mine has 4GB of RAM (up to 16GB), a GX217 SoC from AMD and a M.2 Media Converter to SATA, Power included. Used this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B084Q1NWD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is easily possible to install a 2,5 inch HDD or SSD to the ThinClient and the HDD/SSD is shown in the Bios as SATA1. You only need some sort of plastic board to fix the HDD and to remove one screw that holds the motherboard...which doesn't matter, as it is screwed down with many more.

Jun's 1.03b doesn't work, as the Bios is UEFI. Will test also DS918+ in the near future.

There is also a Quad Core, so be careful if you are interested. 6.1.7 should also work there, as it is only the SoC that differs. They go for more like 60-90€ which is not that much of a bargain. The Dual Core Models however go for less then 40€.

Best,

Fratscha

On 3/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, Fratscha said:

Jun's 1.03b doesn't work, as the Bios is UEFI.

no csm option in bios? if so and it does not boot try thr mbr version of the loader

Will test also DS918+ in the near future.

Jaguar micro architecture, should have FMA3 support so 1.04b might work

They go for more like 60-90€ which is not that much of a bargain. The Dual Core Models however go for less then 40€.

other used hardware would have more sata ports, thinclients are usually not a good match for a nas

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 8:14 PM, IG-88 said:

no csm option in bios? if so and it does not boot try thr mbr version of the loader

Jaguar micro architecture, should have FMA3 support so 1.04b might work

other used hardware would have more sata ports, thinclients are usually not a good match for a nas

Have not tried anything yet, as I already switched the hadeware to my co-location at my garage to make external backups  😉

Yes, for using as a NAS, Thin Clients are not of good use, as they don't have any more room to upgrade. But for the reason I am using this, it is an applicable solution for me. And it works quite well.

So that post was more for the usage as an external backup spot, so to say.