XPEnology Community

Volume expansion

merve04

Question

13 answers to this question

i cant see why it should be a problem, yiu add a drive to the underlying raid (if its SHR the the added part is added to the lvm2) and then the file system is extended

for standard procedures like that you could use synology faq and that doesn not mention a limit in that kind

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSMUC/help/DSMUC/StorageManager/volume_expand_volume

Thanks for the info, as you mentioned I also looked on synologys site but couldn't find anything that said i cant. It just would seem unusual why someone would wait till they have merely a few gigs left before doing an expansion and didn't want to be in a position where it wouldn't work.

On 3/13/2021 at 12:22 AM, flyride said:

The array doesn't care about expanding when the partitions inside it are full, but the btrfs filesystem will have problems if it gets to 100% full.

I mean i estimate i will have between 300~400GB available once transfer is done and can begin expanding. Hopefully thats enough for btrfs?

I assembled a shr-2 with 6x 12TB drives to start as the temp mobo only had 6 satas. Transferred all my data which left me with about the 500GB space free, hence the earlier questions. Now I've moved my drives to the permanent server with the addition of 2 more 12TB drives. Shockingly, when i initiated the expand, it prompt the 2 additional drives, and final calculation of array size was 65.46TB up from 43.64TB. I thought expansions only happened 1 drive at a time, bonus if it does this all in one shot though.

When i look at resource monitor, under disk, i can see disk 1-6 are reading and writing at a decent speed, and disk 7-8 are only writing. This leads me to believe both drives will be added.

When i looked up mdstat, it was going at over 60000kbps in the begining, its down to around 50000~55000kbps as I'm letting people stream away from my plex and sonarr\radarr still rolling and downloading as need be. Its been 33 hours and its at 51.5% done.

Edited by merve04

My volume was at 99% full, had like 450GB remaining. I inserted all 6x12TB drives from original built plus 2 additional 12TB in my permanent server, started the expansion with both drives selected, took 56h to complete. There was no need to offload any data.

Edited by merve04

1 hour ago, Max85 said:

Moving data because it was too full allow you to expand your volume finally ?

Mine is at 97% and after changing 2 drives for bigger, i cannot expand the volume on DSM (did it easily on a real Synology).

If you want to CHANGE disks for bigger it will work only if you have SHR volume and you can change at once only your redundancy number of disks, but I wouldn't suggest that. If you have just RAID5 or RAID6 disk change for bigger ones wont add any capacity to the volume because of RAID limitations. 

Another situation is when you're ADDING disks as merve04, then if you have SHR you will add full capacity of the drives. In case of RAID5/6, for each added disk you will get additionally capacity of smallest unit in the raid (or nothing if you added drive for additional redundancy).