XPEnology Community

Adaptec ASR 71605 (DSM 6.2.x) [solved > works]

aJa_CZ

Hello,

I'm trying to run XPEnology DSM 6.2.x on Server Supermicro 3U CSE836TQ-R800B X7DTI-F (16x HDD slot, 24GB RAM, Dual Xeon L5640)...

Installation on SATA SSD (on mother board SATA port) running good, system is stable and running fine, but RAID Adapter for front 16 HDD slot wasn't recognise :(

It's Adaptec ASR 71605, system didn't see adapter, "aacraid.ko" is missing at /lib/modules.

Im not so good with this linux distribution for fix it by myself, can someone help me how to add support for Adaptec RAID adapter, please.

Thank you!

Edited by aJa_CZ
solved

• aJa_CZ changed the title to Adaptec ASR 71605 (DSM 6.2.x)

I was not consistent in my search on forum :(

Problem fixed, Adaptec works :)

Thanks to this topic https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/32926-chines-mb-xeon-10gb-nic-adaptec/?tab=comments#comment-159520

And new extra.lzma from https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

Thanks to -iliya- and IG-88 

• aJa_CZ changed the title to Adaptec ASR 71605 (DSM 6.2.x) [solved > works]

I find aacraid source too, but your "extra.lzma for loader 1.03b ds3617 DSM 6.2.3" was faster way how to make it running :)

Which controller mode is recommended?

• HBA and make RAID by SW at DSM
  • RAID and make RAID on adaptec and use it as "single" drive at DSM

1 hour ago, aJa_CZ said:

Which controller mode is recommended?

• HBA and make RAID by SW at DSM
  • RAID and make RAID on adaptec and use it as "single" drive at DSM

dsm is made for hba and software raid and all the things like smart will only work that way, if you go with a hardware raid then you usually wont have any options to track failing disk as a custom tools the that will not be available and you will not be able to configure raids in the gui

9 hours ago, IG-88 said:

dsm is made for hba and software raid and all the things like smart will only work that way, if you go with a hardware raid then you usually wont have any options to track failing disk as a custom tools the that will not be available and you will not be able to configure raids in the gui

HBA mode: Working smart diagnostic of raid and disk on DSM :) SW RAID at DSM. But my server has 6 SATA port on MB and 16 SAS/SATA port on RAID, so I have to edit config and risky problems on update :(

RAID mode: Without smart diagnostic of raid and disk on DSM :( But this diagnostic should be available via SW directly from Adaptec or maybe also by IPMI :? HW RAID directly on Adaptec. My theoretically 16 HDD will come to DSM only as 2, 3 or 4 disk, because RAID field will be created directly on Adaptec :)

Am I right or totally wrong with that?

19 minutes ago, aJa_CZ said:

HBA mode: Working smart diagnostic of raid and disk on DSM :) SW RAID at DSM. But my server has 6 SATA port on MB and 16 SAS/SATA port on RAID, so I have to edit config and risky problems on update

as the default is 12 disks on 31617 you would even need to change synoinfo.conf for 16 ports

there is also the aspect that you dont depend on the controller, any sata port can replace the pors of the hba, if using proprietary hardware raid you cant access/recover your data without a equivalent controller

the whole dsm appliance is build around mdadm software raid, its suggested to keep as close to what synology does as possible, anything else needs special care but the reason choosing dsm is usually not wanting to care to much

59 minutes ago, aJa_CZ said:

RAID mode: Without smart diagnostic of raid and disk on DSM :( But this diagnostic should be available via SW directly from Adaptec

its not like windows, you cant just take a binary and expect it to work, most likely you will have to compile it for dsm in a environment you would need to build first and having it as *.spk package needs some more effort (or you would have to place all files manually)

and even if you install the tools, there would be no integration in dsm's webgui

if you prefer it that way maybe proxmox or esxi with dsm as vm is better suited or give open media vault a thought, its much easier to compile something or get packages installed in omv

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

there is also the aspect that you dont depend on the controller, any sata port can replace the pors of the hba, if using proprietary hardware raid you cant access/recover your data without a equivalent controller

the whole dsm appliance is build around mdadm software raid, its suggested to keep as close to what synology does as possible, anything else needs special care but the reason choosing dsm is usually not wanting to care to much

Tou are right, HBA mode will be better for solving the issue with disks or with RAID adapter (it can be replaced by any HW model).

Thank you!