XPEnology Community

Migrate from XPEnology to Synology

TheDirector

in theory I'd say 'Yes - it should work' because its DSM that contains all of the configuration and RAID information, XPE is the 'Work of Art' that provides the boot environment and non-Syno hardware drivers to make DSM work on bare metal.

I'd think the lowest risk would be to keep to the X64 hardware but any way you should back up data first.

If you did it then I'd expect you would get lots of warnings about system partition errors and or crashed volumes but these should repair ok

Since Synology has some specific protections against XPEnology in recent releases I would recommend doing a Clean Install from the Synology box once you get it. You will not have the benefit of the XPEnoboot boot loader which patches those protections away, so the raw DSM instance might identify the XPEnology DSM installation as modified and unmount your volumes. Doing a Clean Install from the Synology machine will wipe all the XPEnology files and re-install the unmodified DSM, but will leave your data in tact. The Clean Install is essentially a factory reset for the DSM software.