XPEnology Community

New server for photo / media storage

Okami

Hello All! Not new to computer builds but new to Xpenology! We had young ones the last year so looking for a good way to store / edit all the pictures on our network.

Processing power

Memory-heavy applications - Moments ? Probably some video transcoding in the future.

Storage (how many disks, mainly) - 4

Space restrictions - None

Network interface requirements - 1Gbit 

I have some old parts (h270 plus , celeron etc) but i'm fine buying a fully updated kit if it will help longevity

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Okami said:

Hello All! Not new to computer builds but new to Xpenology! We had young ones the last year so looking for a good way to store / edit all the pictures on our network.

Processing power

Memory-heavy applications - Moments ? Probably some video transcoding in the future.

Storage (how many disks, mainly) - 4

Space restrictions - None

Network interface requirements - 1Gbit 

I have some old parts (h270 plus , celeron etc) but i'm fine buying a fully updated kit if it will help longevity

Thanks!

First of all, congratulations on the young ones.

As a father of a young child myself, I can assure you that money will be tight for the next 20 years. Depending on where you live, it can be cheaper in the long run to get a Google One subscription instead of a building a new server. 

Currently I live in a country where the yearly energy costs for my server (old i3 laptop with a broken screen running DSM 6.2.3) pretty much equal the price of a bottle of Vodka and I host everything myself. 

Your setup will probably be more power hungry and more expensive than a Google One subscription and to be honest, the Google Photos face and object recognition is superior to Synology. If you live in a country where energy is pretty much free, use your old parts and get started with Xpenology

I was preety much in the same situation few months ago : quite easy in money and space but short in knowledge.

My choice went to copy the bundle of the Guru Master IG-88. You can have a look at may bundles on the updates reports. The one of IGG goes :

- Outcome of the update:  SUCCESSFUL
- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.3-25423
- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.04b - DS918+
- Using custom extra.lzma: Yes, 0.11 for 6.2.3
- Installation type: BAREMETAL - Gigabyte B365M HD3 | i3 9100 | 2xJMB585 5 port AHCI PCIe 3.0 | BCM57840-2T 2port 10GbE
- Additional comments: reboot required, hardware transcoding working with VideoStation 2.4.8

I just didn' take the 10Gb Nic and the additional AHI port, but the MB and CPU works very well.

Since the MB is quite large (micro ATX) I choose a large and confortable case : FRACTAL Design Node 804.

I hope it can help.