XPEnology Community

CPU and RAM Upgrade

Cleo

Hi everyone,

I would like to update my Xpenology NAS and I really need your help, so if you have time I appreciate it,

At the moment I just use my NAS to do backups and organize my files, the problem is that some times when I’m organizing the files It freezes for about 40sec or so, it also happens to my DS218j too, is this because la lack of power? how important is the CPU on a NAS like this? It will help to update the CPU and the RAM?

My motherboard is an Asus H61M-K, and I’m thinking about update the CPU and the RAM.

Right now I have an Intel Celeron G1620 @ 2.70GHz, for the new one it has to be a 2nd or 3rd generation Intel processor, so I’m thinking about an Intel Core i5-3570 3,4GHz as it is very affordable today.

Is there any specific model that will work better for a NAS, I mean an specific Product Line Suffix ? it has to have integrated graphics

if I change the CUP do I have to reinstall DSM or do something special?, or just install it and boot the NAS as I do normally?

Does anyone know how to look if this motherboard supports ECC memory? From what I see it doesn’t support it but the actual CPU it does.

Right know I have 4GB of RAM (KVR16N11S8/4 4GB 1Rx8 512M x 64-Bit PC3-12800 CL11 240-Pin DIMM) , the motherboard is up to 32GB. What’s the minimum amount recommended 8GB?

Thanks a lot for your time

Edited by Cleo

15 hours ago, IG-88 said:

you cant use 918+ with that, you would at least need 4th gen cpu

so maybe if investing some money it might be better to check if you cant get a new systemboard too

Hi IG-88, 

Now I’m on D36617xs, I think that my motherboard doesn’t work with 918+,

In a near future I will build a new NAS, but for now I just would like to upgrade a little this old computer than a friend give me.

The motherboard just accepts Intel® Socket 1155 for 3rd/2nd Generation Core™ i7/Core™ i5/Core™ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors.

That’s why I was asking for the right CPU for a NAS, is it better low power than power?

Right now I'm running a Intel Celeron G1620 @ 2.70GHz

I'm thinking on:

Core i5-3470 3.4 GHz– Normal

Core i5-3470T 2.9 GHz (Power-optimized lifestyle)

Core i5-3570T 2.3 GHz Ultra-low power

Core i5-3570S 3.1 GHz Low power

thanks for your time 

Edited by Cleo

14 hours ago, Cleo said:

Core i5-3470 3.4 GHz– Normal

Core i5-3470T 2.9 GHz (Power-optimized lifestyle)

Core i5-3570T 2.3 GHz Ultra-low power

Core i5-3570S 3.1 GHz Low power

these "T" types have only 2 cores compared to the normal 3470, so i guess that settles it

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/codename/29902/ivy-bridge.html

you might be able to reduce clock and core voltage to save some money if its ok for the workload

2 hours ago, Dfds said:

According to the ark database the i5-3570T is a  4 core CPU.

yes, i did read wrong, overlooked the lower two 3570T, read them as 3470

3470T -  2 cores

3570T - 4 core

so 3570T might be the one, lower power consumption and still 4 cores

On 3/7/2021 at 12:35 AM, IG-88 said:

yes, i did read wrong, overlooked the lower two 3570T, read them as 3470

3470T -  2 cores

3570T - 4 core

so 3570T might be the one, lower power consumption and still 4 cores

Ok, I will try to find the 3570T and if is not possible just the 3570, and upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 8GB, do you think this will solve the issue that some times frizzes the navigation on my computer explorer?

thanks 

1 hour ago, Cleo said:

do you think this will solve the issue that some times frizzes the navigation on my computer explorer?

no, that sound more like a network or windows problem, especially when it happens with two different nas

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 12:26 PM, Cleo said:

At the moment I just use my NAS to do backups and organize my files, the problem is that some times when I’m organizing the files It freezes for about 40sec or so, it also happens to my DS218j too, is this because la lack of power? how important is the CPU on a NAS like this? It will help to update the CPU and the RAM?

18 hours ago, Cleo said:

Hi, is there any way to check where is the problem?

use a different client OS or new installed OS on the same hardware to test with, tracking down such behaviors  can more complex when using a win10 with lots of software installed and there can be lots of specific problems, so starting to test with a freshly installed system can reduce dependencies from added software, that might help to find out or rule out hardware and network problems, might me easy to use a live linux booted from usb as 1st try and then going to a fresh win10 )if the client in question is a win10)

• 1 month later...