XPEnology Community

Synology assistant does not find the device

KlAlMlIlKlAlZlE

Hello, I am new here and hope for your help.

Like everyone here, I wanted to build a NAS based on xpenology.

For this purpose I have bought a small old computer with Gigabyte H61N Board, 4GB RAM and i3 3220T CPU (NIC: Realtek RTL8111E)

Because I need HW transcoding and wanted to start with the current version directly, i took Jun's Loader v1.04b for DS918+.

The computer booted, but I could not see the device in my avm router and Synology Assitent could not find it either. After many attempts with extra.lzma/extra2.lzma (0.8_syno ds918+/0.8_std ds918+), the device appeared in the router, unfortunately only with 10Mbit and Synology Assitent still could not see it.

After that I decided to switch down to the version for DS916+ (Jun's loader v1.02b DS916+). With this configuration, the device immediately appeared in the router (with 1Gbit), only Synology Assistant still finds nothing (The web version too).

Both devices are in the same network, firewall switched off. What am I doing wrong?

The i3-3220T is too old (Ivy Bridge) to run DS918+ platform code.

You should be able to run the DS916+ platform, but it must be loader 1.02b and DSM version 6.1.7; DS916+ loader cannot run DSM 6.2.x.  That said, there are variants in NICs etc that may be compatibility issues and DS916+ was not heavily used as everyone went to DS918+ when it was available.

It CAN run DSM 6.2.x by switching to DS3615xs/DS3617xs platform (and loader 1.03b), but transcoding is not available.

Probably not the news you were looking for, sorry.

FMI: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Edited by flyride

12 minutes ago, flyride said:

The i3-3220T is too old (Ivy Bridge) to run DS918+ platform code.

You should be able to run the DS916+ platform, but it must be loader 1.02b and DSM version 6.1.7; DS916+ loader cannot run DSM 6.2.x.  That said, there are variants in NICs etc that may be compatibility issues and DS916+ was not heavily used as everyone went to DS918+ when it was available.

It CAN run DSM 6.2.x by switching to DS3615xs/DS3617xs platform (and loader 1.03b), but transcoding is not available.

Probably not the news you were looking for, sorry.

FMI: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Thx for your feedback.

I have found this compatibility list too, therefore i switched already to Jun's loader v1.02b DS916+ but synology assistant still can't see it, so i have no chance to install dsm. Maybe you have some hint for me? How can i debug the problem? Is there some log or something? How can i check a nic connection?

The only way to see system messages without a network connection is to attach to the serial port and monitor that.

You might try updating the extra.lzma to see if that adds support for your NIC:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/

But honestly, so few people used DS916+ that activity has pretty much ceased.  @IG-88 might have some additional feedback about it.

2 hours ago, flyride said:

The only way to see system messages without a network connection is to attach to the serial port and monitor that.

You might try updating the extra.lzma to see if that adds support for your NIC:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/

But honestly, so few people used DS916+ that activity has pretty much ceased.  @IG-88 might have some additional feedback about it.

thx for your support.

i have tried it with extra.lzma for ds916+ v4.8 from your link, unfortunately the device is now not even recognized by my router, although my nic is in the list. really strange.

I just tried it with Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3617xs and the device was found by the synology wizard. I could not test it further yet because my new hdd has not arrived yet.

I will post my problem now in this thread, maybe someone can help me

For "homeuse" I have Nvidia Shield TV as stationary clients, (using either Kodi or Plex), they play "anything" without the need for transcoding.

"This Is The Way" :-D

I have a Plex server running, that I use for mobile clients, either at home or "on the road", when due to bandwith etc. transcoding might be needed.

But to use HW transcoding on the PMS, you need a PlexPass.

If your TV is "smart" it may support Plex, Emby or JellyFin (the last one is *free*).

Edit: Did you plan to use Synology's Video Station as your DLNA server?

Edited by bearcat

15 minutes ago, bearcat said:

For "homeuse" I have Nvidia Shield TV as stationary clients, (using either Kodi or Plex), they play "anything" without the need for transcoding.

"This Is The Way" :-D

I have a Plex server running, that I use for mobile clients, either at home or "on the road", when due to bandwith etc. transcoding might be needed.

But to use HW transcoding on the PMS, you need a PlexPass.

If your TV is "smart" it may support Plex, Emby or JellyFin (the last one is *free*).

Edit: Did you plan to use Synology's Video Station as your DLNA server?

I do not want to use an external player on my tv, therefore hw transcoding idea.

Yes, i can install plex on my tv, but i thought plex needs hw transcoding on the dsm side?

What is PMS in this context?

Yes, dlna or something else to stream different videos to my tv or other devices

I'm not Plex expert, but as far as I know Plex needs some computing power on DSM side indeed. 

Solution is simple: Samba + good player on TV or any other device. 
No any transcoding happen on DSM side, so even with rather old device you can stream many 1080 videos at the same time - everything depends on your network bandwidth and maximum read speed of the NAS. 
I'm using VLC on FireTV 4K Sticks (with my both TVs), VLC on Android phones for whole family, and on PC I'm using MPV Player but actually this is easy part and anything can be used. Most important thing is that VLC is doing well for both videos and music. For Photos I'm using DS Photo.
Of course Samba in recent version not let guests - so there must be some login/password set. But I don't think it's problem. VLC on FireTV and Android can connect samba without any additional software. 

44 minutes ago, bearcat said:

PMS = Plex Media Server, supporting both HW and SW transcoding.

SW is CPU "intensive" but will in many cases give a better result than HW, unless your HW is new/strong enough.

Your CPU supports Quick Sync, but beeing a 3. gen it is far from optimal.

On other "bases" than DSM, a GPU can be used for HW transcoding.

Ok, i will try sw transcoding, maybe it will be enough 🙂 GPU encoding ist probably not so easy🙂 or i will find a solition for the 916+ problem😉

29 minutes ago, amikot said:

I'm not Plex expert, but as far as I know Plex needs some computing power on DSM side indeed. 

Solution is simple: Samba + good player on TV or any other device. 
No any transcoding happen on DSM side, so even with rather old device you can stream many 1080 videos at the same time - everything depends on your network bandwidth and maximum read speed of the NAS. 
I'm using VLC on FireTV 4K Sticks (with my both TVs), VLC on Android phones for whole family, and on PC I'm using MPV Player but actually this is easy part and anything can be used. Most important thing is that VLC is doing well for both videos and music. For Photos I'm using DS Photo.
Of course Samba in recent version not let guests - so there must be some login/password set. But I don't think it's problem. VLC on FireTV and Android can connect samba without any additional software. 

I'm looking for a solution without an external player

With only one stream, sw transcoding is usually ok.  Often it's just the audio layer that needs transcoding.

If you want to run multiple streams (i.e. several users at once) then sw transcoding becomes impossible.

I have found that very few of my media files actually require transcoding, and if they do, it's often audio.  For me it's worth recoding the file in my archive to rid the offending codec so I don't have to worry about it.

2 minutes ago, KlAlMlIlKlAlZlE said:

I'm looking for a solution without an external player

To be honest I don't believe there is such of thing apart of dLNA.

I assume this is to be played on TV so for for Plex you need to use web browser or Plex app which is kind of external player anyway.
Web browser can be built in, however it may not be as good as normal, and you may have issues.

In that case I would suggest dLNA, but how to set it in DSM don't know. Never used it on DSM ... just on standalone Linux.  

On 3/3/2021 at 1:27 AM, KlAlMlIlKlAlZlE said:

For this purpose I have bought a small old computer with Gigabyte H61N Board, 4GB RAM and i3 3220T CPU (NIC: Realtek RTL8111E)

Because I need HW transcoding and wanted to start with the current version directly, i took Jun's Loader v1.04b for DS918+.

The computer booted,

that might depend on you definition of "booted" just seeing the grub menu does not say anything about the dsm kernel starting and that's whats to count as booting

918+ is well documented to not start below 4th gen intel cpu

but I could not see the device in my avm router and Synology Assitent could not find it either. After many attempts with extra.lzma/extra2.lzma (0.8_syno ds918+/0.8_std ds918+), the device appeared in the router, unfortunately only with 10Mbit and Synology Assitent still could not see it.

After that I decided to switch down to the version for DS916+ (Jun's loader v1.02b DS916+). With this configuration, the device immediately appeared in the router (with 1Gbit), only Synology Assistant still finds nothing (The web version too).

i'm not sure what you see there but the only reliable way to see if the kernel starts is to use a serial port and a null modem cable with something like putty to see the console

from memory i would have thought also 916+ does need the same 4th gen cpu as 918+, but that's not documented in @flyride tutorial about loaders

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

i did not object earlier as it seemed academical as 916+ is not used at all (i thought) - an the reason was that same minimum requirement as 918+ and as 918+ can do nvme in addition and is 6.2, so it seemed total redundant and is usually not used

so i took the time to dig out jun's quote about it that i had in the back of my head:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-61x-loader/?do=findComment&comment=67297

DS916 is added for hardware transcoding support, and its kernel is optimized for intel's braswell family processors. 
For desktop/mobile processors, 4th Gen Core processor or later is required to provide necessary instruction features.
for example, i7-4700mq works, but e3-1230v2 complains about undefined instructions. 

so from that point of view a 3rd gen cpu will not do it and as long as i don't see a log by serial port of a 3rd gen cpu i will stick to what jun wrote

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 12:54 AM, IG-88 said:

that might depend on you definition of "booted" jsut seeing the grub menu does not say anything about the dsm kernel starting and thats whats to count as booting

918+ is well documented to not start below 4th gen intel cpu

i'm not sure what you see there but the only reliable way to see if the kernel starts is to use a serial port and a null modem cable with something like putty to see the console

from memory i would have thought also 916+ does need the same 4th gen cpu as 918+, but thats not documented in @flyride tutorial about loaders

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

i did not object earlier as it seemed academical as 916+ is not used at all (i thought) - an the reason was that same minimum requirement as 918+ and as 918+ can do nvme in addition and is 6.2, so it seemed total redundant and is usually not used

so i took the time to dig out jun's quote about it that i had in the back of my head:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-61x-loader/?do=findComment&comment=67297

DS916 is added for hardware transcoding support, and its kernel is optimized for intel's braswell family processors. 
For desktop/mobile processors, 4th Gen Core processor or later is required to provide necessary instruction features.
for example, i7-4700mq works, but e3-1230v2 complains about undefined instructions. 

so from that point of view a 3rd gen cpu will not do it and as long as i dont see a log by serial port of a 3rd gen cpu i will stick to what jun wrote

Hi,

thank you for the detailed answer and looking for details. Then it really doesn't make sense to try it with my cpu.

In the meantime I have retrieved my hdd and have got it running with DS3617xs. After I have activated the software transcoding for audio and video in the media server, could my TV play some files, but not all, some of avi files are still not working. i also have plex installed, but unfortunately it cannot see/index any video files at all. I have not yet had time to look further for the cause. I will try it with plex and if it doesn't work either, I will probably have to look for another PC with the 4th generation.

I will report when there is something new.

thx

32 minutes ago, KlAlMlIlKlAlZlE said:

I will probably have to look for another PC with the 4th generation.

I will report when there is something new.

a 4th gen cpu would only give you some hardware tanscoding capability's, if videostation can't read the avi a new cpu will not change this, so plex, emby of jellyfin might be your best choice, as long as the cpu can handle the trascoding (if needed) the its ok without hardware transcoding usually if you need more the one stream transcoded the a pure cpu based process might not be enough

26 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

a 4th gen cpu would only give you some hardware tanscoding capability's, if videostation can't read the avi a new cpu will not change this, so plex, emby of jellyfin might be your best choice, as long as the cpu can handle the trascoding (if needed) the its ok without hardware transcoding usually if you need more the one stream transcoded the a pure cpu based process might not be enough

I know that hardware trascoding only solves the performance issue, if there is any.That's what I meant. I will test whether the software transcoding is enough for me in terms of performance. Otherwise I would have to switch to the 4th generation.
I don't think I will need more than one stream.

On 3/11/2021 at 9:59 PM, KlAlMlIlKlAlZlE said:

i also have plex installed, but unfortunately it cannot see/index any video files at all.

Make sure the "Plex" user have the needed rights to read the folder/files, and try to make sure they are following the naming standard.