XPEnology Community

Headless EX495

synapse007

I have a headless EX495 that runs Xpenology well. The only issue is that whenever there is a power failure or I reboot the system, the Xpenology stops and cannot reboot. This is due to the fact that the headless mediasmart machines need the lowest sata drive tray pulled out and usb booted and sata drive pushed in at the correct time to boot. For a server build, this is inconvenient. Is there a way to edit syslinux.cfg to boot without pulling and then pushing sata drive to improve reliablility as a server.

Anyone have any thoughts ? (This is a fantastic project but I am always tinkering.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi synapse007,

The only way is to get a debug cable which gives you access to onboard VGA + Serial & perhaps comm 1 as well.

Once you get the cable and you plugin your VGA Monitor and Serial Keyboard (PS/2 Style) then you can gain access to the BIOS and change the boot order to USB instead of SATA0 (default).

Anyway, this link will provide you with more info: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14074

• 4 weeks later...

Got the cable and can now access bios. When I have no hdd attached, I can enter bios and select UAB flash drive as 1st boot device. When I add hdd in lowest slot, boot hangs at ahci0 and I cannot enter bios. Can I get you (@vicrod74) to post screenshots or help me with settings of your hard drive ? TIA.