XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2.4-25554 Install experience

On 3/1/2021 at 2:38 AM, IG-88 said:

pretty sure you will not be the last

download a rescue/live linux like system rescue cd, transfer it to a usb (not your dsm boot usb) to boot from it

assemble your raid1 system partition like here (1st partitions of all disks as /dev/md0)

skip anything about swap or volume1 data partition, we only need access to the dsm system partiton
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

mount the assembled raid1 to /mnt with this

mount /dev/md0 /mnt

then remove some files with this

rm -rf /mnt/SynoUpgradePackages
rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgrade.tar
rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgradeindex.txz
rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgradeSynohdpackImg.txz
rm -f /mnt/checksum.syno
rm -f /mnt/.syno/patch/*

and shutdown the linux

shutdown -h now

now you will have to restore the kernel files on your boot usb to 6.2.3 (the udpate also replace files on the loaders 2nd partition)

win10 can have some difficulties with mounting the 2nd partitons of the loader, so look here
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

(it can also be done with linux but i have not tried what other tools will extract the kernel files but if you are familiar with linux you will find out

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/25833-tutorial-use-linux-to-create-bootable-xpenology-usb/)

on 2nd partition delete all files except extra.lzma and extra2.lzma (if its 3615/3617 then its just extra.lzma)
use 7zip to open "DSM_xxxxx_25426.pat" (dsm 6.2.3 install file, depends on you dsm type 3615/3617/918+)

extract "rd.gz" and "zImage" and copy it to the 2nd partition of your xpenology usb

put back your usb to the xpenology system, boot up, find it in network (i used synology assistant) and migrate to version 6.2.3 (aka reinstall 6.2.3)
it will boot two times, one for 6.2.3, 2nd for 6.2.3_U3 (it will be downloaded automatically if internet connection is present)

everything should be back to normal except patches like nvme ssd patch (or other stuff you patched after installing 6.2.3 that is not dsm update resistant)

if that all works you i will  make a new thread in the tutorial section because if synology starts offering 6.2.4 with the web update there will be more people asking for a fix to come back to 6.2.3

please comment on how to make it easier to follow, its just a short version i tried once

if that sounds all to complicated then its still possible to use the other downgrade method (but you will loos all settings and end with a factory default DSM)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12778-tutorial-how-to-downgrade-from-62-to-61-recovering-a-bricked-system/

any solutions for esxi users

Did anyone try serial debugging to see what's happening in the console?

yes

On 3/3/2021 at 4:13 AM, amikot said:

I have feeling it's all just network driver issue.

i don't, i know its not a nic driver problem

Edited by IG-88

10 hours ago, tpsxx said:

any solutions for esxi users

same thing, boot a iso file as recovery linux, mount anf fix the system raid1

and the *.img file (or whatever you use for booting) can be opened with a tool like osf mount (-> install tutorial) to fix the kernel files on the 2nd partition of the laoder

i'd expect to use the same way you did to prepare the loader before installing, i changed the grub.cfg and might have used a new extra.lzma, both things would need to edit the content of the loader, afair there is also something in the tutorial section for changing the img file from linux

On 3/10/2021 at 2:56 AM, IG-88 said:

same thing, boot a iso file as recovery linux, mount anf fix the system raid1

and the *.img file (or whatever you use for booting) can be opened with a tool like osf mount (-> install tutorial) to fix the kernel files on the 2nd partition of the laoder

i'd expect to use the same way you did to prepare the loader before installing, i changed the grub.cfg and might have used a new extra.lzma, both things would need to edit the content of the loader, afair there is also something in the tutorial section for changing the img file from linux

i have followed all steps, but failed at the final step with error "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupt. (13).". I haved searched at this forum and tried a lot but still has the same problem. any tips? thanks

2 hours ago, tpsxx said:

i have followed all steps, but failed at the final step with error "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupt. (13).". I haved searched at this forum and tried a lot but still has the same problem. any tips? thanks

append:

• i've changed the vm's disks order by mistake
  • i even tried to make a new loader with replaced files(rd.gz and zImage), but failed to with error 13 too

dsm-synoboot.png

esxi.png

Edited by tpsxx

31 minutes ago, Hostilian said:

Anyone tried with a 'legit' serial number - one that corresponds to the model being updated??

Nice idea, but the loader fails prior to the OS booting to the point where it could check for a legit serial number (on the network).

The 3615xs/3617xs serial number generators do create algorithmically correct serials.  They just are likely to be blacklisted when presented to a Synology cloud server.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:33 PM, flyride said:

Nice idea, but the loader fails prior to the OS booting to the point where it could check for a legit serial number (on the network).

The 3615xs/3617xs serial number generators do create algorithmically correct serials.  They just are likely to be blacklisted when presented to a Synology cloud server.

I meant a legit one - from a known device - rather than one generated; but good to know!

Overall, I've had more success with serials that correspond to the model it's known to have been used on (g**gle image search, ahem), than with generated ones.

Edited by Hostilian

Actually there is something that could be checked without network to determine if it's genuine machine.
New firmware may do check if NIC MAC addresses belongs to expected pool (brand).
This is easy to check actually because MAC addresses can be set easily in loader - just need to obtain what address pools belongs to which DS models. 

7 hours ago, amikot said:

This is easy to check actually because MAC addresses can be set easily in loader - just need to obtain what address pools belongs to which DS models. 

you would need to code all that into a kernel module and then anyone can read that code and take (counter-)measures

seem like a way to short to last and to easy to circumvent

but with 918+ original data it's easy to check

On 3/2/2021 at 12:44 AM, ilovepancakes said:

No, I really mean for DSM OS full image backups to run on a hypervisor as DSM, not just backups of VMs and bare metal like ABB does now. Synology said it themselves in this video (watch from 13:15 mark). Hopefully they actually pull through with coming out with that feature. There is a little note on bottom of video that says Coming Later in 2021 so we'll see but I am hopefully this code/feature either eliminated the need for Xpenology on ESXi or provides code that Xpenology can use to much better make a bootloader for ESXi DSM installs.

Abolsutely interesting video. I was just about to get my hands down on a ds920+ and migrate my data to hot (DS920+) and archive data (Unraid) which is currently a single host on Xpenology. But the migration would be a nightmare, and the option to run DSM in ESXi would be awesome (natively). However I guess they will check of a valid license, because they mentioned it is just for a migration/backup intention, so could be an issue for assigning more disks etc. They strongly mentioned the Synology Ecosystem....

Le 28/02/2021 à 19:38, IG-88 a dit :

download a rescue/live linux like system rescue cd, transfer it to a usb (not your dsm boot usb) to boot from it

assemble your raid1 system partition like here (1st partitions of all disks as /dev/md0)

skip anything about swap or volume1 data partition, we only need access to the dsm system partiton
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/ > Works REALLY great !

mount /dev/md0 /mnt

rm -rf /mnt/SynoUpgradePackages > Doesn't exist
rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgrade.tar > Doesn't exist
rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgradeindex.txz > Doesn't exist
rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgradeSynohdpackImg.txz > Doesn't exist
rm -f /mnt/checksum.syno  > Present in the Patch folder
rm -f /mnt/.syno/patch/* > Folder renamed patch_old

and shutdown the linux

shutdown -h now

Hi guys,

I have installed the 6.2.4 by mistake, trying to update to latest version after staying at 6.1.7 for a while.

Your tutorial works, i'm able to see and most important upload a pat file again \o/ but it wants the latest version that i have installed previously, i cannot install the 6.2.3, is there any other file i can remove ?

I have a Gen8, with standard NIC and i3 inside with DS3615xs version. (File i want to install is DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat)

DSM error update.PNG

36 minutes ago, Max85 said:

is there any other file i can remove ?

there is a "VERSION" file in /etc and /etc.defauls

replace the content or the whole file with the one from 6.2.3 *.pat file (use 7zip, you will need to go into hda1.tgz)

(just to make sure, you did reset the kernel files on the loader?)

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.3"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25426"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2020/05/12"
buildtime="06:07:06"

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

The USB loader is brand new (1.03b), i have just put the pid vid mac and sn corresponding of the key / server. I still have my old 6.1.7 untouched.

This is the content of the VERSION file in the etc folder:

majorversion="6"
minorversion="1"
productversion="6.1.7"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="15284"
smallfixnumber="3"
builddate="2018/12/26"
buildtime="08:39:07"

This is the content of the VERSION in the etc.default folder :

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
major="6"
minor="2"
micro="4"
productversion="6.2.4"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25556"
smallfixnumber="0"
nano="0"
base="25556"
builddate="2021/03/18"
buildtime="15:00:24"

AWESOME ! You are the best ! DSM is back online and i can access all the data ;)

There are 2 issues :

- When i open the config panel, i get "Operation failed. Reconnect to DSM and retry" and all the package are killed and needs to be reopen

- Impossible to map CIFS folder from another Synology (Check if CIFS is available on the other device)

Edited by Max85

1 hour ago, Max85 said:

- When i open the config panel, i get "Operation failed. Reconnect to DSM and retry" and all the package are killed and needs to be reopen

never heard of that, the only thing that comes to mind is related to 5.x (no problems with 6.1) and coming to 6.2, but usually the whole webgui does not start if thats the case

but it does not hurt to check

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/26723-network-down-after-dsm-login/?do=findComment&comment=137953

did you install update3 to 6.2.3? if not do so

1 hour ago, Max85 said:

- Impossible to map CIFS folder from another Synology (Check if CIFS is available on the other device)

maybe related to smb v1, check if the other dsm has smb v3 enabled

• Like 1

Yes, Update 3 is installed.

I have seen the .xpenoboot to delete earlier (before you fix the main issue) but i was not able to access the content, so i have ignore it ...  after removing it (the ssh drops every second ... long live cut/paste) and reboot ....

giphy.gif

Thank you so much, i tried for 3 hours to fix this without any progress and 2 posts later you have fixed everything.

Edited by Max85

3 hours ago, billat29 said:

.. or it does start but no filestation, no packages and a "locked" Resource Monitor.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/35752-n40l-with-latest-dsm-623/?do=findComment&comment=176991

not thought about that before but as i already modded jun's patch for deleting the old i915 drivers i could also add one line to remove the old /.xpenoboot

might prevent it for some people and even if you have the problem you would just need to copy the extra.lzma to the loader and boot, nothing else would be needed

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 12:38 PM, IG-88 said:

IG-88, with your instructions, I was able to restore my baremetal back to 6.2.3 from 6.2.4.

A couple notes I will add, this could be specific to my setup. I am using Jun1.04b DS918+

1. I didn't have luck with "System Rescue CD". It couldn't "apt-get install mdadm lvm2". I used a Ubuntu 14.04.6 USB drive. I then continued to follow the steps to mount the Raid 1 and delete the files and folders specified in your guide.

2. I was having difficulty understanding how to mount the RAID. I have 8 drives in a SHR and another 6 drives in a SHR. After trying to run the commands in https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/ all of a sudden a /media/14.xx.xxxxx (I can't remember the numbers) was mounted. I was able to then delete the files/folders in your guide.

3. Fixed the boot USB drive as guided. I was then able to see the system from Synology Assistant. I uploaded the DSM_DS918+_25426.pat. System rebooted a few times. All my settings were back like nothing happened. I did need to go into Storage Manager and fix the System Partition.

Thanks again!

Il y a 5 heures, LeoDaso a dit :

1. I didn't have luck with "System Rescue CD". It couldn't "apt-get install mdadm lvm2". I used a Ubuntu 14.04.6 USB drive. I then continued to follow the steps to mount the Raid 1 and delete the files and folders specified in your guide.

I have used a Fedora Live CD, everything is already embedded (if you have a corsair Keyboard, be preapare to do everything with the virtual keyboard .. Nightmare ! but i was able to install putty, enable it and change the password of the "liveuser" account, to do a putty).

You should definitly do a tutorial ;)

On 3/21/2021 at 5:10 PM, IceBoosteR said:

Abolsutely interesting video. I was just about to get my hands down on a ds920+ and migrate my data to hot (DS920+) and archive data (Unraid) which is currently a single host on Xpenology. But the migration would be a nightmare, and the option to run DSM in ESXi would be awesome (natively). However I guess they will check of a valid license, because they mentioned it is just for a migration/backup intention, so could be an issue for assigning more disks etc. They strongly mentioned the Synology Ecosystem....

Yeah my hope is more that Synology implementing this features provides resources to jun to implement a loader for DSM 7 since Synology will have to make a native "loader" of their own to boot DSM on ESXi, rather than actually using DSM that way as a replacement for Xpenology. However, I still would love to see Synology release an official "private cloud" version of DSM like Qnap did for their QuTS. For what I use DSM for, I would gladly pay Synology like people do for Qnap for the ability to run DSM on an ESXi VM.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 2:38 AM, IG-88 said:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

mount /dev/md0 /mnt

rm -rf /mnt/SynoUpgradePackages
rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgrade.tar
rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgradeindex.txz
rm -f /mnt/SynoUpgradeSynohdpackImg.txz
rm -f /mnt/checksum.syno
rm -f /mnt/.syno/patch/*

and shutdown the linux

shutdown -h now

now you will have to restore the kernel files on your boot usb to 6.2.3 (the udpate also replace files on the loaders 2nd partition)

win10 can have some difficulties with mounting the 2nd partitons of the loader, so look here
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

(it can also be done with linux but i have not tried what other tools will extract the kernel files but if you are familiar with linux you will find out

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/25833-tutorial-use-linux-to-create-bootable-xpenology-usb/)

on 2nd partition delete all files except extra.lzma and extra2.lzma (if its 3615/3617 then its just extra.lzma)
use 7zip to open "DSM_xxxxx_25426.pat" (dsm 6.2.3 install file, depends on you dsm type 3615/3617/918+)

extract "rd.gz" and "zImage" and copy it to the 2nd partition of your xpenology usb

put back your usb to the xpenology system, boot up, find it in network (i used synology assistant) and migrate to version 6.2.3 (aka reinstall 6.2.3)
it will boot two times, one for 6.2.3, 2nd for 6.2.3_U3 (it will be downloaded automatically if internet connection is present)

everything should be back to normal except patches like nvme ssd patch (or other stuff you patched after installing 6.2.3 that is not dsm update resistant)

if that all works you i will  make a new thread in the tutorial section because if synology starts offering 6.2.4 with the web update there will be more people asking for a fix to come back to 6.2.3

please comment on how to make it easier to follow, its just a short version i tried once

if that sounds all to complicated then its still possible to use the other downgrade method (but you will loos all settings and end with a factory default DSM)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12778-tutorial-how-to-downgrade-from-62-to-61-recovering-a-bricked-system/

Thanks for this after about 2 day's trying to fix it I followed the above and was able to get to the point of seeing it in finder asking to update DSM, I manually loaded DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat and it did the rebooting 10min screen. after this it dropped off and was not able to see it again. I really thought I had it fixed :( I also looked at the VERSION file in etc and etc.defaults. I'm at a total loss now if anyone has any hints or clues that would be great?

tired time to force myself to bed.

Thanks