XPEnology Community

If the boot usb stick dies

She

The only concern you would have is if you changed the serial/mac address or vid/pid for the usb drive. Otherwise, the stick is only used to boot the device and is not particularly unique.

so we can make another boot usb anytime with any version of nanoboot?

or we need the exact same version, that we had, when we first installed xpenology?

thanks

They are typically tied to the same release nowadays. Meaning, use 5592.x of the boot image for 5592 builds of DSM. But the boot image is really just to give the appropriate HAL for the DSM to run (trick DMS into thinking it is on Syno hardware).

They are typically tied to the same release nowadays. Meaning, use 5592.x of the boot image for 5592 builds of DSM. But the boot image is really just to give the appropriate HAL for the DSM to run (trick DMS into thinking it is on Syno hardware).

yes i know that.

so if i shut down my n54l and unplug the usb stick,

plug it to my pc

and copy/paste all the contents to another usb stick

would i have a back up of the original bootloader usb stick?

thanks

Most likely not. You would just extract the img file again, then modify the syslinux.cfg (IIRC) to the settings you had or you could just back that file up and restore it to the new usb drive after preparation (what I do).

yes i know that.

so if i shut down my n54l and unplug the usb stick,

plug it to my pc

and copy/paste all the contents to another usb stick

would i have a back up of the original bootloader usb stick?

thanks

Using imaging software to make a backup and then restoring to another USB stick will work fine.

I use Win32DiskImager on Windows.