XPEnology Community

6.2.3 LSI 9211-8i issues/migration concerns

Erik29gamer

Question

Hello everyone!

Currently running 1.03b/3615xs/6.2.3 on an old HP workstation. Recently purchased a supermicro 2u server and intend on using that for Xpenology going forward. It has an e3-1220v3, so new enough for the 918+ loader. The backplane is currently connected to an LSI 9211-8i in IT mode. I'm also planning on adding a Mellanox Connectx-3 NIC for 10gb. However, I'm having trouble finding what the best build to run is, and what kind of migration path that leaves me, as I'll be reusing my existing disks. 

From what I can tell, 6.2.3 is broken when using an LSI controller, with either hibernation not working, or waking up from hibernation causing corruption. Is this still accurate? If so that leaves with with running an older build of DSM. That wouldn't bother me, except I plan on doing an "HDD Migration" using my existing disks, which I believe requires the source and destination machine to be on the same build, or newer on the destination. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by Erik29gamer

3 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Erik29gamer said:

From what I can tell, 6.2.3 is broken when using an LSI controller, with either hibernation not working, or waking up from hibernation causing corruption.

for one thats only true for 918+ and the other thing is even when present since loader 1.04b existed it only came to attention years later, there seem to be lot of users not having trouble with it, there might be other factors involved like what bios version the controller hast a what chip version

you could test it with 3 disk in a raid5 and hibernation on, i di provide a extra version with the old driver (that can do sn and smart)

you are safe when using 3617, just do a migration with 1.03b 3617 loader and thats it, you cant use hardware transcoding with that but most/all devices can replay higher grade streams so in most cases (in LAN) there is no real need for on the fly transcoding

13 hours ago, Erik29gamer said:

HDD Migration" using my existing disks, which I believe requires the source and destination machine to be on the same build, or newer on the destination. 

yes, you cant downgrade in a migration step

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

i did provide a extra version with the old driver (that can do sn and smart)

you are safe when using 3617, just do a migration with 1.03b 3617 loader and thats it, you cant use hardware transcoding with that but most/all devices can replay higher grade streams so in most cases (in LAN) there is no real need for on the fly transcoding

Thank you for the the assistance! 

Just to clarify, your "v0.11.2_test" extra.lzma for 3617/1.03b is the one you're referring to, correct?

And no concerns there, I've moved to using a separate proxmox host for Plex,Docker, etc. To be honest, if I could switch to TrueNAS without having to buy new drives, I would. But as it stands I'm kind of locked into synology for now.

8 hours ago, Erik29gamer said:

Just to clarify, your "v0.11.2_test" extra.lzma for 3617/1.03b is the one you're referring to, correct?

no the reference about the extra with the old driver was about 918+

for 3617 you might not even need a extra, you use 0.11.2 but as you hardware is not that new the onboard nic should work with the drivers jun provides with the loader

beside lsi sas drivers even the mellanox drivers have native drives from synology

8 hours ago, Erik29gamer said:

if I could switch to TrueNAS without having to buy new drives, I would. But as it stands I'm kind of locked into synology for now.

you could user open media vault with the synology disks, it would ignore the system/swap partitions and you should be able to use the data volume(2)

install omv and it its ready connnect the dsm disks