XPEnology Community

Replacing HDD

George

Question

Hi Hi all.

I've had the same drive go into "faulty" state a couple of times now (every time a repair worked perfectly and brought it back to healthy state), decided as I have a spare drive, of the exact same make/model (and the repeated problem), I'm going to swop the drive out.

I did the swop, when the NAS was back up it showed the drive... in a Not Intialized state, I hit repair, and well 2 seconds latter it went into a crashed state.

Although when I click on Health Info on the drive it comes back perfect.

So #1 I'd like to remove the drive from the Volume Group first and then Re-add it back.

DSM: version DSM 6.1.7-15284

G

15 answers to this question

No.

to be totally accurate, drive was in case, but not connected, never used... straight out of the anti static rapping, placed it in case as it was the safest place to keep it, but never powered on.

I also don't have any other machine to connect it to. house of MAC Book Pro's and iPad's.

G

6 hours ago, flyride said:

Maybe wasn't seated/connected fully?  I'd try again in any case.  "Crashed" means different things depending on where in Storage Manager it is displayed.  You might try posting a screenshot if it persists.

was checked... also, before i tried to "add" the disk by clicking repair" via think it was "manage" and then selecting this disk 4" I did a health check on the disk... the one that takes just over a minute, which I'd assume does more than just is there power on the disk.

when I google it spoke about clicking storage manager and selecting the volume and then "add" but could not find this, was this a old version feature, or is this a feature that only shows if some criteria is passed.

Will have to figure out how I will zero the disk now. and then retry, but I really don't like opening/closing this NAS as my entire house runs off it.

G

so I placed the original drive 4 back... had it complete a rebuild, figuring once rebuild might b easier to then instruct the volume to remove the drive from the group, btw the insert/rebuild all ended good, finished yesterday afternoon,

I was logging in now, figured I'd configure email notification for if/when it fails again, and well as I logged din, same drive causing degraded availability...

ok, how do I remove the drive from the SHR group. I'm asking as the manage button is grey'd out at the moment and well the previous attempt to simply remove it and insert another drive/brand new drive did not end with expected results.

This is now concerning, any more failures will cause data loss.

G

PS: I'm looking at how I can delete all partitions from that other "new" drive in preparation. Got hold of a external case, so will insert it there, and then delete the partition via the MAC disk manager.

so zero'd the disk, re-inserted it, went Raid Group, Manage -> Repair, selected the now zero'd drive and not long, under minute of starting the initilize phased it failed again.

My primary wish now is to remove the failed drive from the volume group, aka reduce the group from 5 to 4 drives,

please assist?

G

... wondering... if I looked at current space used 10.4TB... and it's still reporting the 5 drive configuration of 14TB, assuming that the 5th failed drive added 4TB, that might mean it's refusing me to remove the 5th failed drive, demanding I replace it as the space used currently is more than what will be available if that drive is removed,

comment ?

Adding, I see the drive itself is shown as 3.6TB useable.

G

Edited by George

F F F F

PLASE Help, tried to remove the faulty drive again, by doing a secure delete on it, it was available, not initialised, see attached, went manage/repair, and not I've go trouble.

the volume crashed, it seems to have now kicked out another drive. a this point I'm not touching it.

please HELP.

This was before the attempted re-add

593299645_ScreenShot2021-02-20at16_52_30.thumb.png.02dccbc9c4a37fcad5ccfaea24036ddc.png

This was was as I was adding the drive back.

1295578847_ScreenShot2021-02-20at16_52_21.thumb.png.48a0a33b47887ae628138356e1660313.png

this was immediately after the add, after the apply, you can see the "repairing"

77270733_ScreenShot2021-02-20at16_52_45.thumb.png.9da0508a78dc8643a5b33ef6da4010dd.png

this immediately resulted in this... :(

595446138_ScreenShot2021-02-20at16_53_18.thumb.png.06af93d785c5f94d2f7c2102cfaf63c3.png

If I click on HDD I see this now.

1225830323_ScreenShot2021-02-20at16_55_52.thumb.png.e618486380d2c3aaa9d972eb999ea50e.png

I'm to scared to touch anything, I believe all my data is still there, BUT...

If I go File Station all my directories with media/music/photos etc is gone, aka volume Group 2 located.

G

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 16.52.30.png

Update...

I rebooted the NAS and when it came back up... the Volume 2 was back, I can see it... at this point I'm stopping, going to buy a 8-10TB drive on Monday, copy everything off, before I loose data... and then take this from there.

See attached, Drive 4 is still gone, with drive 3 now showing problem.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 17.12.00.png

Be very careful about your drive numbering.  The numbering in DSM may not match the physical numbering on your controller ports.

At least once in the series of screenshots above, a valid drive appeared to become unavailable to DSM which resulted in a crash of your array.  However, your last reboot recovered it, and DSM is telling you that the array is consistent, but using its parity features to stay alive. I suspect you may have inadvertently removed a valid drive thinking it was the problem device.

The System Partition error can be ignored for now, it's just saying that the copy of DSM on that particular drive is now out of date and it isn't being used.  DSM is on each of the other drives so you don't have much of a risk there.

The failure symptoms you describe suggest the possibility of a power supply or even a cabling problem.

Power supply was replaced on Monday after the system repeatedly just shut down a couple of weeks, during the open /work /close it (volume group) would come back degraded (assume it was me bumping a cable), resulting in me initiating a rebuild, which then left it all good. But then it started doing this, on the same drive, drive 4 without me having been close to the unit which set of the alarm bells.

Last rebuild like that was last night, and it ended good, and well this morning when I got to the machine it (drive) was dead again, same drive, every time. so this time decided can't continue like this, replace the drive before we go further... I had a space 4TB drive, brand new, same model, but as you can see above what should be a easy stop out and repair has not gone to well.

My concern is my volume group was based on 5 drives, I've now had repeated problem with drive 4, which I ws trying to fix... and ye I could live with that, knowing I need to get it fixed, what scared me was during the last attempt drive 3 also failed, with drive 4 being a problem already, which then crashed the volume, luckily after a reboot it came back, 

it's now switched off, going to stay off until I get a temporary off system backup drive to copy the most important media onto, before I try anything more with this volume group.

As it was also my Plex media server volume, would like to rebuild it, get it back to being volume group 2 and then copy all the media back onto it, into the same directory structures so that Plex does not have a fit.

it was also my Time Machine backup, but to reduce the volume from a odd 10TB down I deleted that, have some more directories I can delete to get the total volume under 8TB.

Also have a 2 TB drive onto which I can offload some docs/folders so that I can fit in on a 8TB drive.

Will start that copy tomorrow. (photos and documents first)

G

... so system is seriously not happy.

Was busy copying data off, volume crashed again.

I'm restarting it and seeing how much I can continue copying before anything needs to be tried.

after restart. volume back, in degraded state, but it's back... make that it was back, immediately upon trying to start copying it crashed again, this is not looking good.

G

Edited by George