XPEnology Community

xpenoboot - autoboot

videopete

I currently have this booting from a usb stick.

Problem is, each time the NAS box boots, I have to manually hit F8, tell it to boot from USB stick, then go.

This is no problem if I have a monitor and keyboard connected (as I do when I set everything up).

However, I would like this NAS box to be self-sufficient - simply hit power button to turn it on and it goes straight into the xpenoboot and NAS becomes active.

Q: Is there a way to get this XPENOBOOT booter to load automatically without USB since my usb requires manual intervention to get booting.

Ie. can this boot loader be installed on the NAS disks themselves? or on a separate HD within the nas box that I will make bootable??

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Yes you are right. It wasn't obvious though. It's an old bios. There's a setting to make USB act like a HDD or Floppy Drive deep in the menu's which I forced it to act like a FDD and made it the first boot drive....Now it's running off the stick automatically.

Question though can this xpenoboot loader be placed on one of the actual syno drives so I don't even need to have a usb stick and have it autoboot off one of the drives??

Thanks.

Question though can this xpenoboot loader be placed on one of the actual syno drives so I don't even need to have a usb stick and have it autoboot off one of the drives??

Thanks.

I have asked this question myself! The answer is no. It needs the usb to trick the software "DSM" to think that is a real synology box.

DSM is loaded on a synology Device with USB flash drive, soldered on the motherboard, the operation system and all applications located are in special slice of the hard disk drives (on each) this method allows to increase the service life of the boot flash and increase productivity

Extra: I have tested installing a new image on a new usb, everything boots fine no data loss. I also run my box on SHR1, I have removed and hd and booted no data loss, system alert me degraded to insert a hard drive. Even more I wiped the hd and re insert it the array rebuild with no problems.

Thanks.

I have asked this question myself! The answer is no. It needs the usb to trick the software "DSM" to think that is a real synology box.

Actually I think someone figured out how to do this with nanoboot (maybe xpenoboot), but if I remember correctly they didn't document the process and didn't remember how they created the image. They had somehow managed to create an image that contained both the boot loader and a full DSM installation.