XPEnology Community

Various questions / queries

Kenzox13

The first thing ... Sorry my English but it is worse than the google translator ...

I have a "hp proLiant ML110 G6" server and I am testing XPEnology and ebuno, testing but I have several doubts and some queries.

Comment that I am using version "ds3617_6.2" if someone advises another ... Welcome and thanks.

My questions or queries are ...

- Where is the system installed, on the USB stick or on the HDD?
- In case of being USB, if it dies, is there any problem in recovering the data?

Any advice knowing the type of server / pc that I use?

Thanks, I'll keep looking at the forum.

1. The USB stick contains the bootloader. DSM is installed on HDD.

See this:

2. The USB is only used at boot time. If it dies, then you can create another one by the same method as the original.

3. Your data is kept on a separate partition on HDD. If for some reason, you cannot start DSM any more and it can't be fixed, then it is always possible to boot your box with a linux live USB stick to recover the data. The procedure for this is documented in the forum.

4. This post explains the link between loader versions and DSM versions, it also makes recommendations on how to choose depending on your hardware

5. You should be able to run 6.2.3 Update 3 on your hardware, This is latest version. Make sure that you turn automatic updates off.

If you have further questions (or need these answers explained) just ask.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, it has been quite clear to me.
In fact, I have installed a new usb and it has recognized the whole system and reset (I am testing things)

And yes, I have one more question ...
My idea is to make a raid 5 or similar (equivalent), I have 3 HDDs of 2TB each.
Do I install the system on one of those 3 HDDs? In case one of the HDD breaks, it can be replaced with another without loss of data. Or I install it in another independent HHD of smaller capacity or usb memory.

Again thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Kenzox13 said:

- In case of being USB, if it dies, is there any problem in recovering the data?

dsm uses normal linux stuff like mdadm and lvm2 to create its raid volumes and a normal recovery linux can be used if needed

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

but the loader can easily reproduced if you have thing documented

you could save the grub.cfg you modified for the loader and the single really important thing to know is that the vendor and product id of the usb used for booting needs to mach the entry's in grub.cfg

often the bios settings are worth documenting too

its also possible to make a copy of the usb with tools like dd or Win32DiskImager, but when using a different usb then you will need to match usb's vid/pid again to the new one

so its of not that much use to have a backup of the usb, having a plan, a documentation and knowledge is more important

usb's failing is a rare case more often its disk trouble and having a backup of the data is most important as in most cases the hardware used is not as reliable as the one used in a new original synology system (they migh look under powered but beside intels atom disaster the nas systems hardware is working >5 years reliable - my old 509+ is still working at its 3rd home as backup unit)

you will find the information you need in the tutorial, just replace 1.02b with 1.03b and 6.1 with 6.2, the steps are the same, only important to know is with 1.03b you will need old legacy bios mode aka CSM mode in a uefi bios

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

edit: you can use synology knowledge base for most things and even they tell people to use a recovery linux if things go wrong and they need access to the content of the disks

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 9:35 PM, billat29 said:

Regarding this ... if I don't get it wrong (which is very possible) my best option is:
- DSM Platform
DS3617xs
- DSM Version
6.2.3 - DSM_DS3617xs_25426.pat
- Jun's Loader
1.03b

5. You should be able to run 6.2.3 Update 3 on your hardware, This is latest version. Make sure that you turn automatic updates off.

If you have further questions (or need these answers explained) just ask.

Just to be clear, you are installing 6.2.3:  DSM_DS3617xs_25426.pat  

Once installed and running, you should go to Control Panel > Update and Restore and make sure that it is set to install updates manually:

image.thumb.png.07c2b7882f232251abcb43dc096bd529.png

You should never install an update until you have checked the "updates" forum.

It should at this time offer to install the minor update, Update 3, to 6.2.3. It is safe to install that.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:01 PM, billat29 said:

Yes, that should work.

I have seen reports of people successfully running this version on ML110, so I am confident!

When you have it up and running, DSM should offer an update to 6.2.3 update 3. That should be safe to accept.

mmm I have a little problem.
Before saying, that always trying with formatted HDD and sata mode selection AHCI (AHCi because in normal mode the loader does not detect hDD)
I try to install these two options.
- DSM Platform
DS3617xs
- DSM Version
6.2.3 - DSM_DS3617xs_25426.pat
- Jun's Loader
1.03b

or the same with the version "DS3615xs" and its DSM and its Loader
But it won't let me finish installing, it gives me an error. (attached image)
* The file cannot be installed. The file is probably corrupted (error 10)

But, if I try to install the DS3617xs version and it gives me that error, and then I try to install the DS3615xs version with the HDD without formatting (with the installation that leaves me the error) it lets me install it and work ...

nas_00.jpg

nas_01.jpg

nas_02.jpg

nas_03.jpg

AHCI mode is what is needed.

Your image says "error 13".

Error 13 doesn't usually mean that the file you downloaded is bad. It says "I tried to initialise the disk and load DSM onto it. Something went wrong."

I don't know why 3617 doesn't seem to work, but I can see by searching the forum that people have had success with 3615xs. There is no problem with using that.

Is DSM now working?

If you are still getting error 13, then the first thing to check is that you modified grub.config in the loader to match the values for the USB stick you are using and that they are correct.

If it is working and you log in to the desktop and look at Storage Manager does it show any errors? Can you set up a storage pool and volume?

• Like 1

It only works for me this way ...
I use the boot of the 3617, I start the system, I enter by http, load the DSM of the 3617 and it gives the error, now.
I use the boot of the 3615, I start the system, I enter through htto, I load the DSM 3615 and it loads it perfectly. I go in, create pools, share ...
I don't know, there is something strange lol

I am reading that as either DS3617 doesn't work on your hardware or maybe there is a problem with the config on that stick.

but I think you are saying that DS3615xs works perfectly. If it boots normally from the DS3615xs stick and all works, I would say that it is fine. Erase the other stick and move on!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenzox13 said:

If because of GPT and others ... I will try to format USB and HDD and install DSM_DS3615xs_25426

the loaders are all gpt, if it would be a loader gpt vs. mbr problem is would not boot at all (mbr loader is often needed with older hp desktops and only if uefi boot is not working like with loader 1.03b), if you find you system in network its not a boot problem

3617 uses the same kernel as 3615, just some minor kernel settings different then 3615, never seen it behave different when installing, most likely usb vid/pid wrong, sometimes it can be a problem if the disk is not empty (have partitions on it)

if 3615 works for you dont bother,  3617 only supports 16 instead of 8 cpu cores and has some newer lsi sas drivers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

the loaders are all gpt, if it would be a loader gpt vs. mbr problem is would not boot at all (mbr loader is often needed with older hp desktops and only if uefi boot is not working like with loader 1.03b), if you find you system in network its not a boot problem

3617 uses the same kernel as 3615, just some minor kernel settings different then 3615, never seen it behave different when installing, most likely usb vid/pid wrong, sometimes it can be a problem if the disk is not empty (have partitions on it)

if 3615 works for you dont bother,  3617 only supports 16 instead of 8 cpu cores and has some newer lsi sas drivers

Thanks

I keep trying to install DSM_DS3615xs_25426 with loader synoboot_3615 ds3615_6.2
I enter from Http I look for the path but it keeps giving me error 13

I think it fails to create the USB boot, I create it directly with rufus

Without problems I install the version DSM_DS3615xs_5644 with XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5, but I would like to have something more updated ...

maybe try to install with a fresh loader (redo usb vid/pid and check),

(the loader originally comes with kernel from dsm 6.2.0, if you install a newer version with it the loader gets updated and will contain a newer kernel resulting in not being able to install a lower dsm version with it, like when used with 6.2.3 and kernel of 6.2.3 is on the loader you cant install 6.2.0 with it, synology assistant will show a info that you if its the case)

!!! do not use internet, use a file and user dsm 6.2.0 (first dms 6.2 version), following link

https://global.download.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2/23739/DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat

if that works out install a fix for 6.2.3 from here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28183-running-623-on-esxi-synoboot-is-broken-fix-available/

then update to 6..2.3 (or 6.2.3 u3) by web gui

as long as you get 6.2 installed (like 6.2.0) without error the loader is proven to work and the problem must be something else

and just to rule out other problems start installing to a empty disk that does not have partitions (you dont need to zero it completely or anything just no partitions)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

Well

First, I wanted to apologize to everyone, there is a step that I did not take ... and it was to enter the USB IDs, serial number etc.

But your help has been more than satisfactory and good.

I have followed the following tutorial (I don't know if I can share vines here) https://youtu.be/UU81TIv2W4M
And it has served me very well, I have done that first process as it appears in the video and working!

Now I will try to install the latest update manually and have it updated and not touch anymore for years ... LOL

Really, thank you very much to everyone.

Edited by Kenzox13