XPEnology Community

SataPortMap for HP N40L for esata multiplier support

Hello,

I run a HP N40L with the latest DSM 6.2.3. 

I have been happy so far, but now I decided to extend my SHR with additional drives attached by esata using a FANTEC QB-35US3-6G (4 bays esata/usb3.0 case).

I attached it by esata, and I have the modified BIOS and double checked alls BIOS settings, including Southbridge settings.  

However, DSM only recognises the first drive of the esata case. (out of currently 3).

The grub.cfg currently shows SataPortMap=1, which might be the problem.

However, what is the correct setting? I found some possibilities in the forum:

- delete this entry completely

- SataPortMap=51

- SataPortMap=6

- SataPortMap=54

Could anyone please give me a hint?

Edited by Tomte

• Tomte changed the title to SataPortMap for HP N40L for esata multiplier support

You have not provided enough information to answer yet.

What is an eSATA multiplier?  If you are referring to a SATA controller multiplier, that is not supported by the DSM AHCI driver.

Please information about all the drives in your system and how they are currently connecting.  Some useful information would be:

1) Platform?  DS3615xs, DS3617xs or DS918+

2) Virtualized or baremetal?

3) Storage Manager screenshot of all your disks, your slot map, and your current Storage Pools

4) Output of ls /dev/sd* and cat /proc/mdstat

Hello,

thank you for the quick reply!

Sorry, that I missed some information. 

1) DS3615xs

2) baremetal

3) see attachments

4) 

admin@Syno-N40L:/$ ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda   /dev/sda6  /dev/sdb5  /dev/sdc5  /dev/sdd2  /dev/sde1  /dev/sdf
/dev/sda1  /dev/sdb   /dev/sdb6  /dev/sdc6  /dev/sdd5  /dev/sde2  /dev/sdf1
/dev/sda2  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sdc   /dev/sdc7  /dev/sdd6  /dev/sde5
/dev/sda3  /dev/sdb2  /dev/sdc1  /dev/sdd   /dev/sdd7  /dev/sde6
/dev/sda5  /dev/sdb3  /dev/sdc2  /dev/sdd1  /dev/sde   /dev/sde7
admin@Syno-N40L:/$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raidF1]
md2 : active raid5 sde5[7] sda5[4] sdd5[6] sdc5[5] sdb5[1]
      3887725824 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]

md4 : active raid5 sde6[5] sda6[2] sdd6[4] sdc6[3] sdb6[1]
      1953467648 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]

md3 : active raid5 sde7[3] sdc7[0] sdd7[1]
      16602564864 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/3] [UUU]

md5 : active raid0 sdf1[0]
      125031808 blocks super 1.2 64k chunks [1/1] [U]

md1 : active raid1 sde2[4] sdd2[3] sdc2[2] sdb2[1] sda2[0]
      2097088 blocks [12/5] [UUUUU_______]

md0 : active raid1 sde1[4] sda1[0] sdb1[1] sdc1[2] sdd1[3]
      2490176 blocks [12/5] [UUUUU_______]

unused devices: <none>
admin@Syno-N40L:/$

The problem is, that there are more drives attached by esata, which don't show up. Only the first one. 

This is not a hardware limitation, because I have a second HP N40L, running openmediavault/debian, which has no problems accessing 4 drives attached to the esata port, same bios, same configuration. if it not supported by the DSM AHCI driver, are there any further options?

Kind Regards, Tomte

Speicher1.PNG

Speicher2.PNG

What I am not seeing here is evidence of which disk is the eSATA connected device.  Can you tell me which device it is?

If you can't figure it out, see if you can create a new test storage pool with the eSATA device as a single disk, and then post another cat /proc/mdstat

Also, what device are you plugging the eSATA cable into on your computer?

Edited by flyride

Hello,

the drive of the esata is the 10.9TB drive. 

The case is  FANTEC QB-35US3-6G, one emply slot, 3 in use.

It also has an USB 3.0 Mode. If I use this one, all drives show up in DSM. But I can not add USB drives to a SHR or any other RAID, as far as I know.

It is an N40L, so it has a build in esata controller by AMD.

Not sure, if I have answered all of your questions. But I highly appreciate your help!

Regards, Tomte

Looking at your specifications, it appears that there is an embedded port multiplier function in the AMD controller which serves the eSATA port.  DSM does not support port multipliers (which would have a negative impact on the bandwidth available to the external enclosure), so it is unlikely to be able to be made to work.

In theory you can remap the USB drives into the data drive assignments, but this can wreak some havoc on hiding your bootloader and it will revert on an upgrade which will crash your array until you can restore the settings.  If you want to look into this it would require changing internalportcfg and usbportcfg in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

• Like 1

Just stumbled here looking to see how to make DSM speak with port multiplier SATA hardware.  In my case I don't care about speed, I want a  ton of drives to be accessible on the LAN for backups and single SATA channel is more than enough with GBe. My hardware is ASM1061.  There's absolutely no hack or kernel modules or anything to activate this eventhough its not supported out of the box?

2 hours ago, Jean Bon said:

Just stumbled here looking to see how to make DSM speak with port multiplier SATA hardware.  In my case I don't care about speed, I want a  ton of drives to be accessible on the LAN for backups and single SATA channel is more than enough with GBe. My hardware is ASM1061.  There's absolutely no hack or kernel modules or anything to activate this eventhough its not supported out of the box?

thats the best information about it afaik

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/17/post/54396

alsokeep in mind with the 6.x loaders from jun we are bound to use the original kernel, so even if you find out how to mod the kernel source, you can't use it

only if its a loadable *.ko kernel module then it would be possible

if its that important i'd suggest using omv

if you can baer it, there are two 8port ahci controller with 2 pcie 2.0 lanes, beside lsi sas controller (only 8 port hba's are usually cheap) there is not much

look for "IO Crest SI-PEX40137" and "SSU SA3008" for the two 8 port ahci controllers

lsi 9211-8i and it mode for lsi sas (there are lots of oem controllers too)

also keep in mind that xpenology is limited to 24 drives so far, quicknicks loader for 6.1 might do more but no one took the time to find out if its really working and how its done

• Like 1