XPEnology Community

What UPS for NAS+Router?

amikot

Hi,
I'm not sure if it's perfect category for that question, but I thought it's safe place that nobody will complain.
As new user of Xpenology installed on HP Microserver N54L I'm very interested how to protect that server against power outages?
Since a week I'm trying to find cheap, possibly green, not essentially brand new UPS that would cooperate with Synology and will gently turn it off in case of power loss.
Already found that there is compatibility list on Synology portal, but as I noticed - it's definitely not complete. There is many brands missing (like Riello or Salicru, or Amazon Basics) as the models of existing brands as well.
Apart of that, Xpenology isn't real Synology - there might be hardware issues.
So, how it is with UPSes for Xpenology ? 
What UPSes are you using?
What about cheapest UPSes that gives just enough power to switch NAS off ?

Compatibility list is useful, UPS's connect generally via USB and this works on XPe just fine.  If your UPS is cheap such that it has no connectivity options - well then it won't work in the way you imagine.

The underlying software is the open source Linux NUT package and it can be modified to support most any USB UPS connectivity if it doesn't work out of the box.

Can't speak about cheap UPS's (this is an oxymoron to my ears) but I am using a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFS correcting, sine wave UPS.

2 hours ago, Goby said:

Bought this one :

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B082TGFYFH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quite cheap, obviously a low cost and low tech device, but with the Xpeno setup to shutdown properly 3 min after a power cut the it works pretty well.

Good example how the price of the same product differs depending of the country. In UK (with just different output plugs) this one costs £109.99
But even that £110 is not much regarding that what price range we have here. UPSes are expensive - probably one of most expensive devices, and they're not getting cheaper much over time. 10 years old units still costs 50% of the price - even if its completely ridiculous. Unfortunately paying even £110 too much. My whole NAS isn't worth this money.  Precious data I have stored on disks in the drawer ;). UPS is only optional addition to save hardware if it's possible and not expensive. Paying £110 to save PSU that costs maybe £30 and actually may never get broke? Or maybe to save disks that I bought second hand anyway for £25 each ? Disks are dying anyway, so it's better to save money for spares. 

For me UPS must be below £50 :) - then I can think about - but must be sure that's not rubbish. I don't expect hours, I want just 3-5 minutes to power down the NAS. 
I'm interested in things like: 

Salicru 500 VA SPS ONE UPS

or
V7 UPS1P600E
or
V7 UPS1DT750-1K

or second hand device, but not too old as old UPSes are not very efficient.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:14 AM, amikot said:

Hi,
I'm not sure if it's perfect category for that question, but I thought it's safe place that nobody will complain.
As new user of Xpenology installed on HP Microserver N54L I'm very interested how to protect that server against power outages?
Since a week I'm trying to find cheap, possibly green, not essentially brand new UPS that would cooperate with Synology and will gently turn it off in case of power loss.
Already found that there is compatibility list on Synology portal, but as I noticed - it's definitely not complete. There is many brands missing (like Riello or Salicru, or Amazon Basics) as the models of existing brands as well.
Apart of that, Xpenology isn't real Synology - there might be hardware issues.
So, how it is with UPSes for Xpenology ? 
What UPSes are you using?
What about cheapest UPSes that gives just enough power to switch NAS off ?

Check out your compatibility list:

https://anon.to/mn0R9h

I used previously:

CyberPower BRG1500AVRLCD

CyberPower EC850LCD

If your CPU is hungry, you need to match its power draw. I would recommend anything above 1000VA UPS if you want to have the NAS running at least 5-10 minutes before shutting down.

If you get like a 850VA that might not be enough.

Here is a runtime calculator:

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/tools/runtimes/

^^^ mind you, this calculator is probably not super accurate because batteries slowly lose their storage capacity and by the time you have a brownout or power outage, it might be only at 50-75% of capacity. So you want to OVERbuy a UPS instead of just getting what might do.

Edited by test4321

On 2/12/2021 at 2:48 PM, amikot said:

Good example how the price of the same product differs depending of the country. In UK (with just different output plugs) this one costs £109.99
But even that £110 is not much regarding that what price range we have here. UPSes are expensive - probably one of most expensive devices, and they're not getting cheaper much over time. 10 years old units still costs 50% of the price - even if its completely ridiculous. Unfortunately paying even £110 too much. My whole NAS isn't worth this money.  Precious data I have stored on disks in the drawer ;). UPS is only optional addition to save hardware if it's possible and not expensive. Paying £110 to save PSU that costs maybe £30 and actually may never get broke? Or maybe to save disks that I bought second hand anyway for £25 each ? Disks are dying anyway, so it's better to save money for spares. 

For me UPS must be below £50 :) - then I can think about - but must be sure that's not rubbish. I don't expect hours, I want just 3-5 minutes to power down the NAS. 
I'm interested in things like: 

Salicru 500 VA SPS ONE UPS

or
V7 UPS1P600E
or
V7 UPS1DT750-1K

or second hand device, but not too old as old UPSes are not very efficient.

Unless your PC is like 50-100W of power draw, these might work. But anything more and they are not enough.

8 hours ago, test4321 said:

You can find your current usage by using PSU calculator:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Unluckily all these pages have no Turion II Neo processor for selection, so I'm not sure how accurate calculation can be. 
However whole server has 150W PSU, so I don't think that real power consumption is higher than 100W. 

Edited by amikot

On 2/14/2021 at 9:04 AM, amikot said:

Unluckily all these pages have no Turion II Neo processor for selection, so I'm not sure how accurate calculation can be. 
However whole server has 150W PSU, so I don't think that real power consumption is higher than 100W. 

Looks like it's only 15W chip.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Turion II Neo N40L - TEN40LGAV23GME.html

image.png.6cd509c5724cf8f9a0d055f0395a9680.png

If looking at compatibility list, this one might work welll:

https://www.apc.com/shop/ca/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-BE600M1-600VA-120V-1-USB-charging-port/P-BE600M1#

Its about 300W at full load can be sustained for 3 minutes. That should be enough for a 100W machine for 10-15 minutes for everything to be shut down. It also has replaceable battery and is around your budget.

17 hours ago, test4321 said:

Looks like it's only 15W chip.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Turion II Neo N40L - TEN40LGAV23GME.html

image.png.6cd509c5724cf8f9a0d055f0395a9680.png

If looking at compatibility list, this one might work welll:

https://www.apc.com/shop/ca/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-BE600M1-600VA-120V-1-USB-charging-port/P-BE600M1#

Its about 300W at full load can be sustained for 3 minutes. That should be enough for a 100W machine for 10-15 minutes for everything to be shut down. It also has replaceable battery and is around your budget.

My CPU is N54L so its TDP is 25W, but still total consumption should be lower than 100W.
Your suggestion of UPS unfortunately not match UK market - I think there is no exactly that model. Also prices of APC are higher here - probably because APC is American brand, or maybe taxes are higher in the UK ;( 
That's why I'm looking at PowerWalker which is also on compatibility list and it's much cheaper here.