XPEnology Community

918+ Can Not Create Hot Spare Drives "Operation Failed"

powerplyer

Question

Hello, I have the below configuration and getting an error when trying to create two spare drives. I get  "The Operation Failed. Please log into DSM again and retry". Needless to say logging in or logging out does not work. 

Configuration:

DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 + 918+ with 0.13.3 extra.lzma/extra2.lzma + Jun 1.04b + MBR [Direct USB]

Supermicro X10SAE

• 14x 10TB SATA HDD
  • 2x 256GB SSD
  • 2x 9211-8i (8 HDD each)
  • 2x SATA from Motherboard

Set-Up:

Storage Pool - RAID 10 (with 12x 10TB)

Volume - One Volume

2x SSD for Cache

2x HDD for HOT SPARE FAILED - Creating a hot spare with above error. 

I did look at dmsg but did not see any error. 

I also tried to modify the GRUB file with "SataPortMap=288", but no luck. 

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, powerplyer said:

Sorry I am not to familiar with kernels. Where can I get the 20141121, is that 3716xs based? Are there any limitation to that kernel?

21st of November 2014  is the date code of the intel driver in kernel 3.10.105, giving a hint about hardware being released way later like 2016 will not be covered

only hardware already planned to release in 2015 might work (and from the source it seems to be max. skylake that came out 2015)

from gut feeling about what was wrong about i915 driver for 3615/17 i tried to build, it was about missing parts in the kernel of dsm and as we can't make a new kernel  we only can use drivers (aka kernel modules) that are working with the kernel synology provides, logical result it never even got tested because of this

918+ is different as it already comes with i915 drivers and jun backported a newer i915 driver for 918+ making gpu's up to coffee lake working, later with 6.2.3 synology backported a newer i915 driver by themself as they needed a gemini lake capable driver for x20+ models

1 hour ago, powerplyer said:

I originally had the way you suggested. 2x SSD were on the ASMedia SATA on-board connecter and 14x (12x active and 2x HS) HDD's on 2x LSI controller. But that would make a total of 18 ports, that's why I disabled all SATA connectors. But I think you are right, the MB has a total of 8x SATA ports (6x intel and 2x ASmedia) and even though I "disable" it in the BIOS it still counts a  port. BTW two ports on one of LSI controller were not even being use, but I can see it counting towards the port count. 

if its 6 + 2 then your lsi's usually start with port 9 on your map in dsm gui (maybe 7 if the asmedia is found later then the lsi's but thats unlikely usually its ahci first as its part of the kernel and then lsi's as the driver is loaded later on in boot process), if you get them really disabled the disks connected to the lsi's will start lower

so you can look at the disk map in the web gui where your lsi connected drives start (if you dont have anything connected to the 8 onboard sata's)

btw. the asm1061 is just one pcie 2.0 lane so its max. 500MB/s for both ports together, so best try to disable these as its the weakest part (the 6 from the chipset should be able to work at full sata3 speed), also the asm1061 can have problems when vt-d is enabled in bios

as its unclear how its configured atm i'd say a dmesg will get a better picture, as we will see all controllers found an see how the disks are numbered/counted

if you look at the dsm gui you will usually see the number of drive slots the system is configured for by the synoinfo.conf, 16 is the default for 918+

i dont know how you have done the 20 drives, it needs to be done the right way or it might not working properly, so if its not default anymore then specify what values you used  in synoinfo.conf

maxdisks=

internalportcfg=

esataportcfg=

usbportcfg=

Edited by IG-88

if all drives are on the lsi's then it will exeed the 16 port/drive limit of 918+ because the 2 sata onboard will be 1st and "block" the two drive positions

connection the two cache drives to the onboard ports would be a simple solution (at least better then making changes to synoinfo.conf)

@IG-88Thank you so much for the feedback. I tried to disable all onboard SATA ports in BIOS and hooked up 14x HDD's and 2x SSD to LSI controller. I still can not create a hot spare. All the drives are showing up in storage manager. I tried to modify the synoinfo.conf (20x slots) file but that did not work either. I am also a bit concerned about no SMART and no hot spare. I am going back to the 3617xs, seemed to work solid with my Supermicro x10SAE motherboard. Since I have a Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1285L v4 @ 3.40GHz, I really wanted transcoding (mainly for moments), but I rather have data integrity. 

I assume there is no modifications I can make to 3716xs to enable HW transcoding? 

Edited by powerplyer

51 minutes ago, powerplyer said:

I assume there is no modifications I can make to 3716xs to enable HW transcoding? 

the old 3.10.105 kernel has a i915 driver but its only supporting old/few devices from now days point of view

its date code is "20141121" and it might go up to skylake (gpu gen9), your cpu would be 8th gpu gen and covered

here a snippet from the driver of kernel 3.10.105

#define INTEL_INFO(p) 	(&__I915__(p)->info)
#define INTEL_DEVID(p)	(INTEL_INFO(p)->device_id)

#define IS_I830(dev)		(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x3577)
#define IS_845G(dev)		(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x2562)
#define IS_I85X(dev)		(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_i85x)
#define IS_I865G(dev)		(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x2572)
#define IS_I915G(dev)		(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_i915g)
#define IS_I915GM(dev)		(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x2592)
#define IS_I945G(dev)		(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x2772)
#define IS_I945GM(dev)		(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_i945gm)
#define IS_BROADWATER(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_broadwater)
#define IS_CRESTLINE(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_crestline)
#define IS_GM45(dev)		(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x2A42)
#define IS_G4X(dev)		(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_g4x)
#define IS_PINEVIEW_G(dev)	(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0xa001)
#define IS_PINEVIEW_M(dev)	(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0xa011)
#define IS_PINEVIEW(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_pineview)
#define IS_G33(dev)		(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_g33)
#define IS_IRONLAKE_M(dev)	(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x0046)
#define IS_IVYBRIDGE(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_ivybridge)
#define IS_IVB_GT1(dev)		(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x0156 || \
				 INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x0152 || \
				 INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x015a)
#define IS_SNB_GT1(dev)		(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x0102 || \
				 INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x0106 || \
				 INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x010A)
#define IS_VALLEYVIEW(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_valleyview)
#define IS_CHERRYVIEW(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_valleyview && IS_GEN8(dev))
#define IS_HASWELL(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_haswell)
#define IS_BROADWELL(dev)	(!INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_valleyview && IS_GEN8(dev))
#define IS_SKYLAKE(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_skylake)
#define IS_MOBILE(dev)		(INTEL_INFO(dev)->is_mobile)
#define IS_HSW_EARLY_SDV(dev)	(IS_HASWELL(dev) && \
				 (INTEL_DEVID(dev) & 0xFF00) == 0x0C00)
#define IS_BDW_ULT(dev)		(IS_BROADWELL(dev) && \
				 ((INTEL_DEVID(dev) & 0xf) == 0x2  || \
				 (INTEL_DEVID(dev) & 0xf) == 0x6 || \
				 (INTEL_DEVID(dev) & 0xf) == 0xe))
#define IS_BDW_GT3(dev)		(IS_BROADWELL(dev) && \
				 (INTEL_DEVID(dev) & 0x00F0) == 0x0020)
#define IS_HSW_ULT(dev)		(IS_HASWELL(dev) && \
				 (INTEL_DEVID(dev) & 0xFF00) == 0x0A00)
#define IS_HSW_GT3(dev)		(IS_HASWELL(dev) && \
				 (INTEL_DEVID(dev) & 0x00F0) == 0x0020)
/* ULX machines are also considered ULT. */
#define IS_HSW_ULX(dev)		(INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x0A0E || \
				 INTEL_DEVID(dev) == 0x0A1E)
#define IS_PRELIMINARY_HW(intel_info) ((intel_info)->is_preliminary)

/*
 * The genX designation typically refers to the render engine, so render
 * capability related checks should use IS_GEN, while display and other checks
 * have their own (e.g. HAS_PCH_SPLIT for ILK+ display, IS_foo for particular
 * chips, etc.).
 */
#define IS_GEN2(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->gen == 2)
#define IS_GEN3(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->gen == 3)
#define IS_GEN4(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->gen == 4)
#define IS_GEN5(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->gen == 5)
#define IS_GEN6(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->gen == 6)
#define IS_GEN7(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->gen == 7)
#define IS_GEN8(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->gen == 8)
#define IS_GEN9(dev)	(INTEL_INFO(dev)->gen == 9)

if the driver would load/work it would at least be possible to use plex or any package that just need the i915 device to work, videostation might be working

i do have a skylake so i should be able to test this (i did make a i915 about 2-3 years ago but was not able to test it myself so it might never have left my system, it seemed to be a fruitless idea back then, also possible something else did not work, i can't remember)

i think i will try it tomorrow, sounds interesting and less complex then trying to get in nvidia support

the other way would be to find someone who backports a more recent i915 driver to the old kernel

14 hours ago, powerplyer said:

I tried to disable all onboard SATA ports in BIOS and hooked up 14x HDD's and 2x SSD to LSI controller. I still can not create a hot spare. All the drives are showing up in storage manager.

i deliberately suggested the other way as it can be happen that even if you disable some sata stuff in bios the kernel will still find the device and still block the ports, its much safer to just have the two cache drives on the 1st two ports

its also possible that the bios offers more then the two ports you have usable, i often have seen systems with 4 ports on the board and the kernel blocking 6 ports

to be sure about that you could provide the dmesg log, in that one we would see what the kernel finds and how its counted

14 hours ago, powerplyer said:

file but that did not work either. I am also a bit concerned about no SMART and no hot spare.

you did read the red marked stuff in my extra driver thread for 6.2.3 about the lsi drivers and 918+

if you want smart you can use the older extra/extra2 that has juns driver but when using disk hibernation it would be risky

Edited by IG-88

39 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

i deliberately suggested the other way as it can be happen that even if you disable some sata stuff in bios the kernel will still find the device and still block the ports, its much safer to just have the two cache drives on the 1st two ports

its also possible that the bios offers more then the two ports you have usable, i often have seen systems with 4 ports on the board and the kernel blocking 6 ports

to be sure about that you could provide the dmesg log, in that one we would see what the kernel finds and hot its counted

I originally had the way you suggested. 2x SSD were on the ASMedia SATA on-board connecter and 14x (12x active and 2x HS) HDD's on 2x LSI controller. But that would make a total of 18 ports, that's why I disabled all SATA connectors. But I think you are right, the MB has a total of 8x SATA ports (6x intel and 2x ASmedia) and even though I "disable" it in the BIOS it still counts a  port. BTW two ports on one of LSI controller were not even being use, but I can see it counting towards the port count. 

39 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

you did read the red marked stuff in my extra driver thread for 6.2.3 about the lsi drivers and 918+

if you want smart you can use the older extra/extra2 that has juns driver but when using disk hibernation it would be risky

Yep I do read your posts very carefully :). You have been a great help as I try to navigate to a best solution. Unfortunately with 14x drives and my NAS box mainly used of 4k media library/picture streaming I do need hibernation. It is not being utilized most of the time. 

46 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

the old 3.10.105 kernel has a i915 driver but its only supporting old/few devices from now days point of view

its date code is "20141121" and it might go up to skylake (gpu gen9), your cpu would be 8th gpu gen and covered

here a snippet from the driver of kernel 3.10.105

Sorry I am not to familiar with kernels. Where can I get the 20141121, is that 3716xs based? Are there any limitation to that kernel?

BTW the Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1285L v4 @ 3.40GHz is a Broadwell with an integrated GPU "Iris Pro Graphics P6300"

Edited by powerplyer

@IG-88, thanks again for the explination. I am going back to 3716xs without transcoding. I will modify the synoinfo.conf as follows:

maxdisks= 24

internalportcfg= 0xffffff

esataportcfg=0x0

usbportcfg=0x3000000 (default)

I leave usb defaust so my external USB drives do not show up as internal drives. 

Thank you again with all your help. BTW thank you for the info on the ASMedia ports. 

5 hours ago, powerplyer said:

maxdisks= 24

internalportcfg= 0xffffff

esataportcfg=0x0

usbportcfg=0x3000000 (default)

beside the missing " "

the original/default is usb beyound internal port 20, yours match the 24 drives you choose (one 0 more) and would be correct

the following is a direct copy&pate from synoinfo.conf

usbportcfg="0x300000"