XPEnology Community

T110 ii no network

m571

Question

Hi,

I have an existing xpenology ds918+ with juns loader 1.04b with an extra intel pci dual card and 4x4tb drives with onboard sata working.

I just got a Dell PowerEdge T110 II with H200 and did the sas in IT mode, I plugged in the existing usb but cant find in my network with the extra pcie intel card that I used to have in my old pc, I also tried the ds3615xs with juns 1.03 loader but can't seem to find in the network.

I installed in another hdd proxmox and all my networks are working, the onboard one is Broadcom but I dont use it in the xpenology, I also tried to disable the onboard nic but I had no luck, can somebody please help?

P.S. I need to change to this one since in my old pc the drives where not all 6GB sata.

10 answers to this question

Ivy Bridge CPU cannot run DS918+ so that won't work (moving your existing USB).

You are right to try 1.03b and DS3615xs (DS3617xs is better but no matter).  Make sure you are installing DSM 6.2.3 and not an earlier version or drivers may be a problem.

Did you remember to change to USB boot to CSM/Legacy mode?

Mmmm, I think I've got a e3 1230v1 which happens to be Sandy Bridge.

I tried with ds3615xs but with uefi, with bios (I think this is the name for CSM in this model) option the computer hangs with only the usb in! I have to add an old ssd and then when it boots to press F11 to go into the boot manager and select the ssd the to be able to select the usb! I know it is strange but this is the way they did it with this model of dell, and there is no way to have to boot straight to the usb :(

Sandy Bridge is older than Ivy Bridge, no matter it still won't run.  CSM = Legacy Boot = "BIOS" in some motherboards.  Sometimes it takes a particular combination of configuration settings to get it to work.  If you can't get it to function any other way, there is an MBR build of the 1.03b loader out there that may work for you.

Thanks for a very quick reply.

You think I can load directly from usb with a MBR build of 1.03b?

Found it here 

One other question, since I had the ds918+, my drives are not empty, will this be a problem moving to ds3615, will I lose my data?

7 hours ago, m571 said:

You think I can load directly from usb with a MBR build of 1.03b?

I can't say, it's only a suggestion.  I've never dealt directly with your hardware.  

7 hours ago, m571 said:

One other question, since I had the ds918+, my drives are not empty, will this be a problem moving to ds3615, will I lose my data?

I do not mean to be overly critical, but if you are so cavalier with your data to ask this question, then you should be prepared to lose your data.  You should ALWAYS have a backup option for your data.  If you insist on trying to install a brand new environment for the first time with your data in the mix, then please get another drive and do some test installs first, so that you are 100% on the procedure and resolution of any problems (which there will be) so that your next post is not "install failed, can't see it on the network, can I save my data" which is posted here most every day.

Soapbox off.  To answer your question, a migration install is fully supported from the DS918+ platform to DS3615xs and it can be quite painless - IF you know what you are doing.

EDIT: you found the Genesys MBR version of the 1.02b loader - this won't work for 6.2.3.  Here's the link to the 1.03b build: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/20270-dsm-62-loader-with-mbr-partition-table/

Edited by flyride