XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2.3 Juns Loader 1.04b 918+ booting from dedicated SSD

E-Corp

This is for anyone here, i created a small manual for anyone here who want's to give it a try:

How to install on m2 ssd and boot from instead of usb.

Get Ven/Dev number from Last know parent:

PCI\VEN_8086 = VID
&DEV_06D7& = PID

Dont rename but let the system think vid and pid are still hardware id's.

change in grub.cfg 

s/n:
mac: number of mac's needs to be upcounted

set netif_num=1 fill in number of cards you have and be sure to have mac1: and mac2:
syno_hdd_detect=0 to 1 skipped a part of the new installation and didn't ask for a .pat file

So in my case as an example:
set vid=0x8086
set pid=0x06D7
set sn=1780PDN123456
set mac1=001132123456
set mac2=001132123457
set rootdev=/dev/md0
set netif_num=2
#set extra_args_918='earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 earlyprintk loglevel=15 memmap=0x1000$223515000'
set extra_args_918=''

set common_args_918='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS918+ vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_hdd_detect=1 syno_port_thaw=1'

After this dismount in osfmount and use balenaetcher to write to ssd, if you press on the 2nd step it will show you to show hidden drives

and there you will see the option for your ssd, press yes and the you are good to go. only boot in uefi.

Sorry for disturbing, i am not such a writer just an idiot ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, E-Corp said:

Sorry for disturbing, i am not such a writer just an idiot

me too, that's good enough ;-)

isn't it a waste to just replace the usb (<10 bugs) with a m.2 device?

the loader is just 50MB and the rest of the m.2 ssd will be unused (i guess)?

there are some small site usb and it only loader some megabyte of kernel befoe switching to /dev/md0 for loading the system (aka DSM)

and with waste i think about the m.2 slot, with two of them you can have a really potent cache for 10G network (als long as its not QLC) or you could use it as "source for 4 pcie lanes (with a apdater m.2 to pcie on some ribbon cable)

in a lot of cases you might be better off to use esxi and have the m.2 ssd used as rdm or vmdk as a "normal" ssd in a virtual dsm (more or less flyrides way of using a m.2 ssd for dsm)

edit: no criticism, just some thoughts

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

Yeah no not in this case, i used an old gigabyte brix 2955u which was not able to run esxi due to lack of resources, could only run esxi 6 and whenever USB sticks are connected they heat up pretty fast so with that i used the internal m2 ssd card for the synoboot img and a 2tb ssd :) and i can back that data up on an external drive whenever needed.

Essentially using a M.2 drive like this is the equivalent of the IMG loader for ESXi (AFAIK you can just burn the IMG to a disk and then select ESXi for the grub options and it will work without all this trouble).  Maybe get a used 16GB Optane drive so as not to be so wasteful.  But also something like this will keep it clean and internal, I guess I am conflating this post and the other guy who wanted to use his internal NAND port.

https://www.amazon.com/SinLoon-Female-Motherboard-Header-Adapter-Dual/dp/B0878S6BD5/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=usb+header+to+usb+port&qid=1613093640&sr=8-5

Usually doing a disk-based loader will end up with the device visible in the Storage Manager so then tweaking of DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap is required, but I suspect most don't bother and just ignore the spurious device.

Not really sure why everyone wants to reinvent the wheel but hey, innovating and figuring stuff out is fun.

Edited by flyride

On 2/12/2021 at 12:40 AM, IG-88 said:

me too, that's good enough ;-)

isn't it a waste to just replace the usb (<10 bugs) with a m.2 device?

the loader is just 50MB and the rest of the m.2 ssd will be unused (i guess)?

there are some small site usb and it only loader some megabyte of kernel befoe switching to /dev/md0 for loading the system (aka DSM)

and with waste i think about the m.2 slot, with two of them you can have a really potent cache for 10G network (als long as its not QLC) or you could use it as "source for 4 pcie lanes (with a apdater m.2 to pcie on some ribbon cable)

in a lot of cases you might be better off to use esxi and have the m.2 ssd used as rdm or vmdk as a "normal" ssd in a virtual dsm (more or less flyrides way of using a m.2 ssd for dsm)

edit: no criticism, just some thoughts

Well some motherboards like mine (Hardkernel odroid H2+ ) have an extra slot for emmc storage wich is not on usb  tree and with this will maybe  they work . I will give it a try!

I think it is this device 8086:31cc SD Host controller that i have to choose for emmc storage. 

1 hour ago, ditheo said:

I think it is this device 8086:31cc SD Host controller that i have to choose for emmc storage. 

before trying to boot from it you should check if its even working with dsm, my guess its not

i did not find needed kernel config in synologys default kernel config "CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PCI" or a driver "sdhci-pci", so it seems like the hardware is not recognised

after installing dsm with usb try "lspci" to check if a driver is used for this hardware

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IG-88 said:

before trying to boot from it you should check if its even working with dsm, my guess its not

i did not find needed kernel config in synologys default kernel config "CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PCI" or a driver "sdhci-pci", so it seems like the hardware is not recognised

after installing dsm with usb try "lspci" to check if a driver is used for this hardware

this number I have found from dsm , so I would try it ! finger crossed!!!!

39 minutes ago, ditheo said:

this number I have found from dsm , so I would try it ! finger crossed!!!!

Bad Luck!

i have modified grub.conf with the correct vid and pid of the internal emmc slot but without successful boot. Maybe IG-88 has right for the kernel dirvers. But there is hope!

5 minutes ago, ditheo said:

But there is hope!

i dont think so, imho for booting from that the driver has to be in the kernel (zImage) and as we are bound to use the original synology kernel and its protected against tempering (checksums) in dont see how it should be doen, it mivht be possible to compile driver as module but that would not help booting, that way you would just be able to use the module when dsm is already running

From synology open source on sourcforge.net I looked on geminilake linux4.4.x.tgz on drivers i found the  file sdhci-pci.h If I not make a mistake the drivers are present on kernel.

#ifndef __SDHCI_PCI_H
#define __SDHCI_PCI_H

/*
 * PCI device IDs
 */

#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_PCH_SDIO0	0x8809
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_PCH_SDIO1	0x880a
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BYT_EMMC	0x0f14
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BYT_SDIO	0x0f15
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BYT_SD	0x0f16
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BYT_EMMC2	0x0f50
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BSW_EMMC	0x2294
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BSW_SDIO	0x2295
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BSW_SD	0x2296
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_MRFL_MMC	0x1190
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_CLV_SDIO0	0x08f9
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_CLV_SDIO1	0x08fa
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_CLV_SDIO2	0x08fb
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_CLV_EMMC0	0x08e5
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_CLV_EMMC1	0x08e6
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_QRK_SD	0x08A7
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_SPT_EMMC	0x9d2b
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_SPT_SDIO	0x9d2c
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_SPT_SD	0x9d2d
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_DNV_EMMC	0x19db
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BXT_SD	0x0aca
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BXT_EMMC	0x0acc
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BXT_SDIO	0x0ad0
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BXTM_SD	0x1aca
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BXTM_EMMC	0x1acc
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_BXTM_SDIO	0x1ad0
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_APL_SD	0x5aca
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_APL_EMMC	0x5acc
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_APL_SDIO	0x5ad0

my mmc slot  has (intel vendor) 0x31cc  which is not on that list. 

The other thing i have noticed is that the bootloader can be configured to run from sata_dom if coffeelake proccesor is selected ...

CONFIG_SYNO_BOOT_SATA_DOM=y
CONFIG_SYNO_SATA_DOM_VENDOR="SATADOM-"
CONFIG_SYNO_SATA_DOM_MODEL="TYPE D 3SE"
CONFIG_SYNO_SATA_DOM_VENDOR_SECOND_SRC="SATADOM"
CONFIG_SYNO_SATA_DOM_MODEL_SECOND_SRC="D150SH"