XPEnology Community

Boot loader verbose mode?

Bad Wolf

I have tried every possible conceivable combination in the BIOS and I still can't ping the new PC I have just put together. Tried all of the different boot loaders but none of them work. I am convinced that the problem is with the network card/s. On the older machine which I have XPEnology working just fine it can be found with a simple ping command.

Is there a verbose mode that can be enabled to see what is happening as the USB stick boots up? I don't think it is finding the NICs, therefore I can't ping it.

Network cards in question Intel 1219v onboard NIC and a Edimax EN-9320TX-E 10GbE Ethernet PCI Express Adapter.

Edited by Bad Wolf

According to this post the 1219-v is compatible. However that still doesn't mean the NIC is being seen at boot. Still need to know if it is working or not.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:02 PM, roy79 said:

Loader version and type (918+):  1.03a2 DS918+

DSM version in use (including critical update):  DSM 6.2-23739 Update 1

Using custom modules/ramdisk? If yes which one?:  extra.lzma for DS918+ v0.2

Hardware details:  Motherboard:  ASRock H370M-ITX;  NIC:  Intel I219V (working) & Intel I211-AT (not working), G5500T

Direct stream original of 1080p and 4K movies (Plex CPU usage ~2%) with a device does HW accl.

Transcode: 1080p (smooth) and 4K movies (stutters) (Plex CPU usage ~90% for both cases)

NVMe not recognized

Edited by Bad Wolf

5 hours ago, flyride said:

Tehuti support is also in the base 3615/3617 image.  Which DSM version and platform are you trying to install?  It should be DS3617xs (1.03b with CSM turned on) or DS918+ (1.04b and UEFI boot) and 6.2.3-25426

I am trying both.

Have CSM turned on: (and tried off)

Boot Device Control: UEFI and Legacy OPROM, Legacy OPROM only, UEFI only (tried all three)

Boot From Network Devices: UEFI only, Legacy only, Ignore (tried both UEFI and Legacy)

Boot From Storage Devices: UEFI only, Legacy only, Ignore (tried both UEFI and Legacy)

Boot From PCI-E / PCI Expansion Devices: UEFI only, Legacy only, Ignore (tried both UEFI and Legacy)

Secure Boot:

Secure Boot State: Setup (non changeable, was something else like user)

OS Type: Other OS, Windows UEFI mode

Key Management: cleared and populated (tried both)

When I try and use the option:

Launch EFI Shell from USB drives

It comes up with a warning message saying " The Secure Boot is enabled to prevent untrsuted operating sytems from loading...

With secure boot set to Other OS and the keys cleared I don't know how to further disable Secure Boot.

I tried the 3617 USB stick that runs fine in the other PC and while it loads the generic screen, I can't ping this new PC still. Doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't seem to ping / find the Synology.

I pulled out the external NIC just in case there was some kind of conflict, but that didn't help.

How would I look at console messages? Linux based... is that where I press something like Alt F1 - F8?

6 hours ago, flyride said:

Tehuti support is also in the base 3615/3617 image.  Which DSM version and platform are you trying to install?  It should be DS3617xs (1.03b with CSM turned on) or DS918+ (1.04b and UEFI boot) and 6.2.3-25426

Doesn't sound like a driver compatibility problem then, is there anything else that would stop it from recognising the NICs?

Console is output to serial only.  You need to attach a device to the serial port and run a terminal-type session to see log messages without network.

It seems like you are kind of throwing yourself at the problem without really understanding the relationship between the versions, settings and loaders.  Since you are having little success, I'd review this first, simplify your system (set the 10Gbe card aside for now) and find a base configuration that works. Then build up from there.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

14 minutes ago, flyride said:

Console is output to serial only.  You need to attach a device to the serial port and run a terminal-type session to see log messages without network.

It seems like you are kind of throwing yourself at the problem without really understanding the relationship between the versions, settings and loaders.  Since you are having little success, I'd review this first, simplify your system (set the 10Gbe card aside for now) and find a base configuration that works. Then build up from there.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

I'm assume that console might look something like what network administrators use to monitor network servers?

I'm not sure how old the new motherboard is but shouldn't 104b work regardless of what settings I use? Since it supports three different types of BIOS boot types? I have tried every possible combination, but none of them will allow me to ping the machine. Is it worth me spending money to buy a console to see what is going on? How would I get the information out of it since I have never used a console before.

Would it not be possible for the boot loader to echo what is going on to the screen?

Edited by Bad Wolf

Putty on your PC connected to a serial port, which is then connected to DSM's serial port will do it. But it honestly should be unnecessary as we are just trying to set up basic functionality.  Serial console is an advanced troubleshooting/debugging tool and not strictly required for initial install.

It's possible that your mobo has onboard LAN silicon that isn't supported by the base loader.  If that is true, you will need extra.lzma and/or buy an Intel CT PCIe card to get up and running. Regardless, we need to reduce the number of variables in this equation. So....

What motherboard, exactly, are you using?  What CPU?  What loader, platform and DSM version, specifically are you focusing on?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flyride said:

Putty on your PC connected to a serial port, which is then connected to DSM's serial port will do it. But it honestly should be unnecessary as we are just trying to set up basic functionality.  Serial console is an advanced troubleshooting/debugging tool and not strictly required for initial install.

It's possible that your mobo has onboard LAN silicon that isn't supported by the base loader.  If that is true, you will need extra.lzma and/or buy an Intel CT PCIe card to get up and running. Regardless, we need to reduce the number of variables in this equation. So....

What motherboard, exactly, are you using?  What CPU?  What loader, platform and DSM version, specifically are you focusing on?

Motherboard is Asus ROG Strix B460-F Gaming

CPU is Intel Celeron G5905 - LGA1200

Have been focusing on trying to get boot loader 1.04b trying to install 918+, or 1.03b trying to install 3615 / 3617, but until I can ping the PC, I can't do the DSM setup.

On the older PC I have 1.03b / 3617 running fine. I tried putting that USB stick in the new PC to see if I could ping the new PC using it, since I know it boots properly and there are no image issues with it.  But regardless of what BIOS settings I try on the new PC, I can't get the old PC USB stick to be reached.

Edited by Bad Wolf

The motherboard NIC is brand new with B460 chipset; Intel releases refreshed silicon with new PCIe signatures for the i219 every chipset rev.  You'll need to add extra.lzma for updated drivers from @IG-88 for the correct platform in order for it to be supported and it is possible it is too new even for that.

Perhaps we should have started with this information at the beginning and avoided all the flailing.

The failsafe is for you to order an Intel CT gigabit PCIe NIC for $20, disable the onboard NIC, and your problems will be resolved. I realize that you won't want to use your one slot for this because you want the 10Gbe card there, but you can get the system up and running and tested, then worry about drivers for your i219 NIC.

Edited by flyride

6 minutes ago, flyride said:

The motherboard NIC is brand new with B460 chipset; Intel releases refreshed silicon with new PCIe signatures for the i219 every chipset rev.  You'll need to add extra.lzma for updated drivers from @IG-88 for the correct platform in order for it to be supported and it is possible it is too new even for that.

Perhaps we should have started with this information at the beginning and avoided all the flailing.

The failsafe is for you to order an Intel CT gigabit PCIe NIC for $20, disable the onboard NIC, and your problems will be resolved. I realize that you won't want to use your one slot for this because you want the 10Gbe card there, but you can get the system up and running and tested, then worry about drivers for your i219 NIC.

Could I simple add this "extra.lzma" you speak of to the USB stick, or does it need to be injected into the image somehow?

Just checking the contents of the 1.04b USB stick and it contains 4 files... extra.lzma, extra2.lzma, rd.gz and zimage. Do I need to replace the existing extra.lzma?

Is there a repository other than the main download page that contains newer files?

1 hour ago, flyride said:

You my friend are a certified genius!!!

Tried it on the 918+ USB stick first, replaced the two files and both NICs showed up in the Synology finder tool / ping tool . Can not only ping it, but it has brought up the install page ready to go :)

You have no idea how much help you been, and the amount of frustration you have saved me.

Thank you so much for your time and effort, greatly appreciated 👍

11 hours ago, flyride said:

Tehuti support is also in the base 3615/3617 image. 

these driver is a nasty thing, it only contains older firmware and phys and even if you download a newer driver from a vendor or even tehuti website you dont get them all together even if the source references to them, its checked when compiling and then only the parts available get part of the compiled driver

took a while to find all the parts by combining drivers from 3-4 oems that used different phys

the driver in my extra.lzma should contain all used phys and would be much more "universal" (and newer) then the driver synology uses

i have two thehuti's myself one is a older qnap that is compatible to synologys own card and works ootb with 6.2.3 and one bought later from a oem (trendnet) with a "incompatible" phy that needed some work with the driver and firmware files

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

these driver is a nasty thing, it only contains older firmware and phys and even if you download a newer driver from a vendor or even tehuti website you dont get them all together even if the source references to them, its checked when compiling and then only the parts available get part of the compiled driver

took a while to find all the parts by combining drivers from 3-4 oems that used different phys

the driver in my extra.lzma should contain all used phys and would be much more "universal" (and newer) then the driver synology uses

i have two thehuti's myself one is a older qnap that is compatible to synologys own card and works ootb with 6.2.3 and one bought later from a oem (trendnet) with a "incompatible" phy that needed some work with the driver and firmware files

flyride sorted me out...

He pointed me to new versions of the extra.lzma files, which instantly solved the problem.

If you are responsible for those updated files, then I owe you a huge thank you as well. I now have the system working as expected👍

Not intended to be a criticism, but it would be really nice if there was a way to be able to find all the current versions of thing much easier.

Coming from the point of someone who has only recently discovered XPEnology, I found it hard at first to understand some of the posts, as they aren't really newbie friendly and link off to many other topics, which then leaves you wondering with path of information to take.

Anyway very happy to have it all working now, and thank you for all your hard work and effort that you have put into this project.