XPEnology Community

@appstore Disk Migration

Vodka2014

Question

Hi,

I would like to know how I can move my App Disk from 120GB to 500GB Disk.

So what I mean is that i have the @appstore on the 120GB with all packages installed. Now i want to move this to my new 500GB Disk.

What is the best method for this please.

Thanks

Edited by Vodka2014

I would like to know at what stage you get "disk full". If it is during the file move, then I am thinking about a permissions problem somewhere.

What I did was the move, changed the symlinks and restarted DSM, I confirmed that the applications seemed to be working before I removed my original disk.

But there was more work to do before removing the disk. I remember that I had to move the user home service from volume1 to volume2

Edited by billat29
reread earlier post

Just now, Vodka2014 said:

Thanks @flyride and the easy way to do this and keep all my data ?

I am really having a hard time to get this all to work. 

Yeah, this stuff can get complicated and there are a lot of tricks.  The @appstore folder is not a shared folder, but it is part of the data array.  This allows us to use array manipulation to do what we need and not screw up your volume location or put your data at additional risk. Here is what I would try.  You need a spare disk larger than the new 500GB disk that you can use temporarily.

The assumption is that you have a RAID0 Basic volume now (/volume1) with your app store on it .  If you built a SHR with it, do not follow this guide immediately and post the results of a df and a cat /proc/mdstat and let's evaluate before you proceed.

1. Convert your RAID0 Basic volume with the 120GB disk into a RAID1, adding the new 500GB disk.  Do not make a SHR.  The result will be a 120GB RAID1
  2. Shutdown and remove your 120GB disk. If it was the #1 disk slot on the controller, move the new 500GB disk into it.
  3. Add your spare disk, boot and repair the RAID1 array with it (again do not make SHR). The array will be expanded automatically.
  4. Once it's done, shutdown, remove the spare disk, reboot and you will have a "broken" RAID1 array (which is a RAID0)
  5. Confirm which /dev/md device it is by running cat /proc/mdstat
  6. Assuming it's /dev/md2 (substitute whatever you figure out from the mdstat command), issue the following command as root:
    mdadm --grow --raid-devices=1 --force /dev/md2

@Vodka2014 I broke my virtual environment. That was while I was setting up to test this. I didn't get as far as trying it.

Then @flyride came in and they really, really know their stuff. So I edited my post and crossed my offer out.

I have watched flyride sort out the most difficult problems and would have every confidence that if anyone can sort you out, they can.

My concern now, having reread all this, is what state is your system in? I don't understand why you need to order another 500GB disk right now.

You started with a 120GB and tried to move @appstore onto the 500GB. That didn't work,

so where is @appstore now? Is it back on the 120GB? Does your system work without the 500GB or are you now spread over the two disks?

And looking at flyrides post are you RAID0 or SHR?

I started with my virtual machine on 6.2.3 U3. It had one 8GB drive.

I then defined and added a 128GB virtual drive and rebooted the machine:

image.thumb.png.2bdbfe1096efa313a5952bc974989353.png

I have two unused drives as the first is the bootloader and I haven't applied the fix for hiding it when running in a VM.

I then went to Storage Manager>Storage Pool>Action and selected "change RAID type".

I selected RAID1 and dragged and dropped my new drive

image.thumb.png.61d181883773b14ef71602b7b9c85087.png

Next it resynchronised.

image.thumb.png.e5e9cba753143bcacb1ba23b58be6a78.png

Then I shut down and removed the old drive before restarting ..

When I restarted, the storage pool had crashed

image.thumb.png.8f775ce84e4b75588d5974c8be86b34c.png

I ignored that and connected by SSH and ran the magic command:

sudo mdadm --grow --raid-devices=1 --force /dev/md2

That immediately sorted the crashed storage pool and started an expansion

image.thumb.png.da93f690a20c146e18cc385fbd6ee0cd.png

When that was done, I went to expand the volume as the link said but found it was already done

image.thumb.png.b5cdeb80437e3a5cff064f6d0826d599.png

and that was it. It seemed to have worked. My packages were still there as was my (limited) data.