XPEnology Community

Moving disks (migration) from DS509+ (DSM4.2) to Xpenology DS3615xs (6.2.3) ?

amikot

I have DS509+ which is good but old. It s 5 bay NAS, but I'm using only 3 bays (RAID5) + forth is Hot Spare.
I want to move to just installed Xpenology, but I have no new disks to install.
So I want to keep old disks for now.
There is several options that I see:
1. I could take 2 disks from old NAS (one hot spare and one working) and create RAID0 on new NAS - copy all data over the network and than move 2 outlasting disks, converting RAID0 to RAID5 as final move. However I'm a bit afraid of that, as my data will be exposed to risk for time of copying (I have backup, but...).
2. I could just move all my disks from 509+ to Xpenology and install new DSM - hoping that all data will stay on. I don't know if it's possible specially that I can't see SHR mode in my new Xpenology - is it obsolate or what?  DS509+ is SHR raid matrix. 
3. I could buy one more drive and use it to extend security while moving as in option 1.
4. Maybe there is kind of temporary service with capacity of few TB to use for few days where I could back my data UP?

BTW. I wonder, what if after time I will buy bigger disk - how to will it be beneficial at all? Or I always have to buy in couples at least?

36 minutes ago, amikot said:

4. Maybe there is kind of temporary service with capacity of few TB to use for few days where I could back my data UP?

Don't ever subject your data to a migration event without a backup.

37 minutes ago, amikot said:

1. I could take 2 disks from old NAS (one hot spare and one working) and create RAID0 on new NAS - copy all data over the network and than move 2 outlasting disks, converting RAID0 to RAID5 as final move. However I'm a bit afraid of that, as my data will be exposed to risk for time of copying (I have backup, but...).
2. I could just move all my disks from 509+ to Xpenology and install new DSM - hoping that all data will stay on. I don't know if it's possible specially that I can't see SHR mode in my new Xpenology - is it obsolate or what?  DS509+ is SHR raid matrix. 

These are probably Bad Ideas.

37 minutes ago, amikot said:

If you installed DS3615xs or DS3617xs, you can turn on SHR, see the FAQ post.

Normally I would say migrate the drives as part of the install but from DSM as old as you have, I really suggest you invest in at least one high capacity drive so that you can migrate to a new system while your old system is still intact.  Then you can re-establish the RAID configuration you wish to use.