XPEnology Community

How to hide drives ( micro SD ) ?

Running bare metal on a gen8 Microserver. I’d like to hide the onboard micro sd card (which shows up / mounts as usb in xpenology ) 

I have esxi on this microsd which I’ll sometime change the boot order from the ilo to boot esxi .. I’d prefer not these to mount when xpenology boots. 
(Yes I can eject / up mount the sd, and ignore the drive , but would prefer for it not to show. ) 

You need to post more information.

If a loader device shows up as USB, that may mean that it is not being recognized properly, and it is not been remapped as a Synoboot device.  This is not unique to your micro sd and will break upgrades and a few other nasty things.

What DSM version and platform have you installed?  Which loader?  If you inventory the /dev/sd devices, which one is the micro sd card?

Thanks flyride. 
it’s not a loader device , it’s a microsd in the sdcard slot. It’s correct that it’s showing up, I’m just wondering if there is a way of hiding it. 
The loader is on usb and hidden correctly. 

I’m on the latest 6.2.3 ds3615xs with loader 1.03b (gen8 microserver baremetal) fresh install. Hard drives and ssd on a 9207-8i lsi card in IT mode. 

Ok, I think I understand (would help if I went back and reread the first post).  You have a dual-use server, and the USB is for ESXi boot but you don't want it accessible when using DSM, and you don't want to unplug it.  I presume you also don't want to disable all USB disk support.  So somehow we need to be able to identify that device specifically.  The easiest way I can think of is to adapt my Synoboot script to dismount and clean up that specific USB dev.

If you are a good Linux shell scripter, take a look at the embedded script and you'll see how to do this.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28183-running-623-on-esxi-synoboot-is-broken-fix-available/

If not, you'll need to identify the device is it mapping to so that I can mod the script.  It should be something like /dev/sdn.

51 minutes ago, flyride said:

I guess the other question is... why aren't you using DSM as a VM inside ESXi?  Then this would all be moot and you would have no reason to dual-boot.

That’s a plan I’ve had on my mind. Been waiting for a hba card to allow me to pass the drives. 
Got a h220 which I’ve flashed today and installed , working on baremetal, and a bit of extra memory. 

will likely try this route very soon. Don’t have a lot of experience with esxi so have just been playing around so far , and getting a grasp with a couple of small vm’s

ive moved from a N54l to a fair bit faster gen8 so would like to make the jump. 

When you do this will be a lot simpler.

But I'm confused, what's stopping you from passing the current controller through now?  On-board AHCI works fine.

If the issue is that the drives are split between ESXi and DSM, you can RDM the ones you want DSM to use into your VM with no issue, and leave the controller attached to ESXi.

Edited by flyride

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, scoobdriver said:

I don’t think it has a vid / pid like a usb.

I'm late for the party, sorry but just wanted to say: And there is where you are wrong ;-)

When using a MicroSD card to boot XPE on a HP Gen8 Microserver we must use: VID 0x0424 - PID 0x4030 to "hide" it from DSM.

That is the internal card reader, (located on the USB bus

So, if you want to keep esxi on the SD card, and hide it from DSM, that is the VID/PID you must "hide".

Edited by bearcat