XPEnology Community

DS918+ Problems with Intel X520-DA2

Spats

Board: Asus Prime Z270-P

CPU: I5 6400 (Skylake)

RAM: 8GB

Intel X520-DA2

Had it setup on DS3617xs all working good with the original mac's from cousins faulty machine.

so ended up going the DS918+ migrated no problem with original mac's from mate's machine , the mac's were also burned onto the Intel X520-DA2.

added the 2 mac's into the grub but it does not work, the onboard mac is off in bios i do not have access to the web.

my two nic's are given me 169.254. xx.xx. how do i change that as its not recognized in the router.

I cannot access the synoinfo.conf to make changes as it always gives access denied, with putty and winSCP. (Noob when it comes to linux, go easy lol) 

Lastly when i take the Intel card out of the machine, it works ok, put it back in no access to the web.

I just can't get my head round it and do not know how to fix been trying for days lol 

Tried with extra.lzma and extra2 extra918plus_v0.13.3.

Sorry for the long post

Cheers

EDIT:  1.04b Loader and DSM_DS918+_2546 Pat

Edited by Spats

You have some homework to do.  I will point out two problems that need fixing:

169.254.x.x is the default IP given to a device that fails to retrieve an address via DHCP.  So you do not have a valid DHCP server on your network, or the NIC cannot see the DHCP server to retrieve an address.  It basically indicates a lack of communication.  You can also manually assign addresses via the UI (static IP addressing).

Modifying synoinfo.conf requires root access.  In Linux and therefore DSM, this involves logging in (to SSH) and then elevating your access with the command

sudo -i

Edited by flyride

2 hours ago, Spats said:

Lastly when i take the Intel card out of the machine, it works ok, put it back in no access to the web.

that might happen because 918+ is limited to 2 nic's by default and if the added card go's 1st the onboard is 3rd nic and will not work anymore until the synoinfo.conf is extended to support morn then two nic's (i guess you already altered the grub.cfg in the loader for 3 nic's?)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12679-progress-of-62-loader/?do=findComment&comment=92682

imho best way is to remove the intel 2port card, change the synoinfo.conf to support 4 or 8 cards and then add the 2port nic again

that way you should still be able to access the dsm box (might be having a dhcp now as its not eth0 anymore) and you can look into /var/log/dmesg to check about the intel 2port nic imho driver should work as its not a new chipset, you would see in dmesg what happens if the driver gets loaded

Thanks guys

@flyrideusing putty login with my user:pass added sudo -i and got this

login as: Spats
Spats@192.168.1.80's password:
Could not chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/Spats: No such file or dir                                                                                                                                                             ectory
Spats@Nas:/$ sudo -i
root@Nas:~# dir
total 40
drwx------  3 root root  4096 Feb  6 12:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root  4096 Feb  6 12:14 ..
-rw-------  1 root root    63 Feb  5 09:23 .bash_history
drwx------  2 root root  4096 Feb  6 12:03 .gnupg
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  1113 May  6  2020 .profile
-rw-------  1 root root 12288 Feb  4 15:29 .swp
-rw-------  1 root root  3978 Feb  6 11:41 .viminfo
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   178 Feb  5 18:55 .wget-hsts
root@Nas:~#

lost me as i would have thought when inputting a dir command i should see all even when i type ls i get nothing.

@IG-88Took the card out gave me access to the web now just to try the proper commands in the root dir to change the synoinfo.conf.

cheers guys

Edited by Spats

Ok got it sorted through winSCP changed maxlan port from "2" to "8" in etc and etc defaults.

got the 3 macs in grub.cfg file,

all 3 have DHCP, but 2 still have 169.254.x.x should they be like that or are they supposed to be assigned 192.168.x.x also.

ie all three have 192.168.x.x

@IG-88 eth4_mtu="1500" eth5_mtu="1500" eth6_mtu="1500" eth7_mtu="1500" was there anyway, not bothered about WOL.

thanks again guys 

2 hours ago, Spats said:

Ok got it sorted through winSCP changed maxlan port from "2" to "8" in etc and etc defaults.

hopefully you did use a unix aware editor like notepad++

if you changed the synoinfo.conf for more nic's you should at leat be able to boot with the 2port nic in the system and the onboard should be working

you should see 3 nic's in dsm's web gui now

di the nic's show a link status/connection in the webgui?

are the intel ports connected to a switch with connection to a dhcp server?

attatch the /var/log/dmesg so we can have a look whats going on when the system starts (drivers loading)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

hopefully you did use a unix aware editor like notepad++

used winSCP editor just to edit the lines.

dsm's  web gui all 3 were connected but 2 were still showing 169.254.x.x that was with direct connection using SFP+ dac's

I have a microtik 4 port 10gbe switch when i connected that up i got 192.168.x.x on the 169.

attached are the logs from /var/log/dmesg

thanks again for your help in getting this sorted.

cheers

dmesg.txt

5 hours ago, Spats said:

2 were still showing 169.254.x.x that was with direct connection using SFP+ dac's

I have a microtik 4 port 10gbe switch when i connected

so you connect the 1G port to a normal switch and that one is connected to a router with dhcp

what about the 4 port SFP+?, two ports are connected to the DA2 card and how is that 4 port switch connected to anything else? where would the 2 nic ports on that switch get in contact witha dhcp server to get a address?

the log looks ok, driver ixgbe is loaded and the 10G link is recognized

@IG-88two DA2 cards in both pc and nas.

Connect 2 dac's from pc that goes to 2 10gb ports on microtik switch (input) then from the other 2 dac ports in the 10gb switch (output) to the nas, the  1gb port from switch connects to DHCP router.

from nas 1gb port goes to same DHCP router that gives me the access to the web.

I don't know any other way to do it, and i know that I only need one dac from pc to switch then from switch to nas.

cheers

Edited by Spats

9 hours ago, Spats said:

I don't know any other way to do it, and i know that I only need one dac from pc to switch then from switch to nas.

do the 2 ports on the pc get a dhcp address?

you could try to configure the ip addrerss manually on the 10G nic's to see if you can ping the 10G ip address of the nas from the pc (remove the 1G cable from the 10G switch when trying it)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

do the 2 ports on the pc get a dhcp address?

no, it reverts back to 169.254.x.x.

so what i did was in the dsm gui i changed it back to manual the 192.168.x.x on both ports, rebooted nas, I can ping both ports no cable in the 1gb switch port. 

on the pc 2 ports they are assigned an auto ip address, no DHCP tho.

should the 2 ports on the pc have a DHCP i don't know but it's working.

thanks again bud.

13 minutes ago, Spats said:

on the pc 2 ports they are assigned an auto ip address, no DHCP tho.

should the 2 ports on the pc have a DHCP i don't know but it's working.

if all 4 ports are connected and the switch is connected to the router (that does dhcp)  the all 4 should get addresses, if its not working for both there is something wrong with the configuration, might be vlan on the microtik (seems unlikely that the switch would block dhcp)

if you assign addresses manually its ok as long as its outlide the dhcp area, you dont want a ip address to be used on two systems at the same time

12 hours ago, IG-88 said:

if all 4 ports are connected and the switch is connected to the router (that does dhcp)  the all 4 should get addresses, if its not working for both there is something wrong with the configuration, might be vlan on the microtik (seems unlikely that the switch would block dhcp)

if you assign addresses manually its ok as long as its outlide the dhcp area, you dont want a ip address to be used on two systems at the same time

@IG-88 I have connected all cables back up, SFP+ PC ---> to Switch --> to DSM, then all get connected to 1Gb Router, Switch gives DHCP TO SFP+, that gives DSM  192.168 x.x after that.

Dsm and pc get DHCP from Router.

I only get 3 192.168.x.x DHCP in DSM as its only 3 mac's in the grub.cfg.

If i disconnect the 1gb cable from switch  reboot dsm then the SFP+ just reverts back to 192.254.x.x, so the microtik switch is giving me DHCP.

Router is an Asus  RT-AC66U B1, with dd-wrt Merlin.

If I disconnect the 2 dac's in the pc my 2 port card doesn't get assigned any ip address other that it gets done automatically, maybe i should look into that and see if it's a config i need to make for all ports to be assigned an ip address.  

Thanks bud 

10 hours ago, Spats said:

If i disconnect the 1gb cable from switch  reboot dsm then the SFP+ just reverts back to 192.254.x.x, so the microtik switch is giving me DHCP.

no thats apipa and dsm does this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

atm i cant see a problem all 10G ports get DHCP addresses when the router is connected to the swich its working as it should

nothing wrong with the drivers or dsm, anything else is a logical network problem that depends on the configuration

not sure whats you want to do or achieve or whats not working for you

@IG-88everything is working fine, am happy with that, so thanks a lot for your help.

now i am going to take a look as to why there is no dev/dri dir, as i got   cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf then i have success i also have a plex pass so wondering why i cannot get hardware transcoding.

cheers