XPEnology Community

how do I upgrade from dsm 5.2 instantly to dsm 6.2

3 84

• 3 84 changed the title to how do I upgrade from dsm 5.2 instantly to dsm 6.2
6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

what hardware are you using?

you can try 6.1 loader 1.02b for 3615 or 3617

and about how to ..., we have a dedicated section for this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

halt I managed to do a fresh install of the 6.2 loader, I realised I had to use the mac address of the pc and not from a generator but now its not showing up the one hdd, my old files don`t matter cos it`s all backed up in the google cloud

Edited by 3 84

39 minutes ago, 3 84 said:

mac address of the pc and not from a generator but now its not showing up the one hdd

the mac does not matter when installing, if you want to use WOL then the hardware mac needs to be in grub.conf, the only important thing for installing is usb vid/pid

you did not mentioned the hardware, if sata onboard then it needs to be ahci mode (check in bios)

I can`t find it in the bios but i`ll try again, and it doesn't make sense, it was working in the previous versions and the drive is showing up in the bios so it hasn`t failed also, it didn`t work until i used the pc`s mac address and it`s using the same ip address that was on the previous version.

Edited by 3 84

16 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the mac does not matter when installing, if you want to use WOL then the hardware mac needs to be in grub.conf, the only important thing for installing is usb vid/pid

you did not mentioned the hardware, if sata onboard then it needs to be ahci mode (check in bios)

it didn`t work until i used the pc`s mac address but whatever and it`s using the same ip address that was on the previous version, i already edited the pid and the vid from the start, i double checked and there is no ahci mode in bios, i know what it is though, probably its not a thing in this type of bios because this was made for windows vista (btw this is a custom built NAS)

Edited by 3 84

5 hours ago, 3 84 said:

and it doesn't make sense,

not to you maybe

it was working in the previous versions

sure, but there are massive differences in how the loader for 5.2 worked and what we have now with loaders for 6.x

there was a reason why i told you it has to be ahci mode

a quote from my post about additional drivers for 6.x

!!!all sata_* and pata_* drivers are still not working because of the kernel source changes Synology did (same as in kernel 3.10.102 used and modded by Synology), as long as no one writes a patch for this I can use to fix this, it will stay this way !!! 

whats guarantied to work is ahci, anything else depends

so to the 3rd time: whats the hardware you are using, cpu, board, storage controller (if not onboard), network controller (if not onboard)

we cant help you if you dont deliver basic inforamtion

i'm not going to continue here without these information

37 minutes ago, 3 84 said:

is IDE mode ok?

no, change to ahci

Edited by IG-88

39 minutes ago, 3 84 said:

there`s no option in bios, oops i accidentally thou u meant to turn it off in bois

crap does that mean i have to switch back to dsm 5.2 loader because theres only IDE mode? :( (Edit: i feel like the non-emoji version is better)

Edited by 3 84

2 hours ago, 3 84 said:

options enhanced, compatible or disabled

try enhanced, save, reboot and go again into bios and look if options about sata have changed and if you see something about ahci

now reboot with the loader and see if the disk is recognized

7 hours ago, 3 84 said:

Intel G31 all in a A57 lenovo thinkcenter

that chipset uses ICH7 and that is capable of ahci when its set by bios

bios updates would be here (if you dont have the latest)

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-a-series-desktops/thinkcentre-a57/downloads/ds003243-flash-bios-update-thinkcentre-a57-m57e

9 hours ago, IG-88 said:

try enhanced, save, reboot and go again into bios and look if options about sata have changed and if you see something about ahci

now reboot with the loader and see if the disk is recognized

that chipset uses ICH7 and that is capable of ahci when its set by bios

bios updates would be here (if you dont have the latest)

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-a-series-desktops/thinkcentre-a57/downloads/ds003243-flash-bios-update-thinkcentre-a57-m57e

i already tried enhanced and it never worked and also, which bios version do i use?

Edited by 3 84

1 hour ago, 3 84 said:

which bios version do i use?

how should i know what bios version you are using, thats something you will have to find out by yourself, its usually seen when booting or in bios

maybe you will have to read what lenovo writes about how to update your bios

that stuff is way to specific for every hardware vendor, i dont own lenovo hardware so i'm not familiar with there way of doing things like bios updates

my point was that if going to enhanced there might be a sata setting where you can switch to ahci mode (never seen lenovo bios gui, bigger vendors like lenovo or hp have there own gui so its not much help to know where its in a standard ami or phoenix bios)

you can also try to boot a standard live or rescue linux when bios switched to enhanced, with "lspci -k" you can check if the driver used for storage is "ata_piix" or "ahci", when its "ahci" it should work with loaders for dsm 6.x

if you rally want to use dsm 6.x and cant use another hardware then its also possible to use a pcie to "replace" the internal ports with ahci capable ones (what card depends on number of disks you use and the pcie slot you have available, can be a marvell 88se9215 pcie 1x, 4port card as a most simple one)

i dont think you can get any better performance with dsm 6.x when it comes to normal nas file transfers, so maybe staying with 5.2 is ok and just using 6.x when you have a newer hardware availible (buying a new original synology unit can be a option too)

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

my point was that if going to enhanced there might be a sata setting where you can switch to ahci mode (never seen lenovo bios gui, bigger vendors like lenovo or hp have there own gui so its not much help to know where its in a standard ami or phoenix bios)

sorry, i already tried that and it tells you nothing except this crap about a IDE config which dose`t make sense when there`s no ide port

Edited by 3 84

16 hours ago, IG-88 said:

afair it was about ide compatibility when using sata with older systems (WinXP and older?)

that does explain a lot as this pc was made for windows vista but you said win xp? btw last year in 2020 i tried it with windows 10 and it worked

Edited by 3 84

7 hours ago, 3 84 said:

but you said win xp?

winxp came without a build in ahci driver so to get it working  the sata ports where often uses in ide/compatibility mode when installing

8 hours ago, 3 84 said:

i tried it with windows 10 and it worked

sure why not, its just a special driver problem with dsm 6.x we have here, nothing in general