XPEnology Community

Adding External Storage To Gen8

Vodka2014

Hi All

So i have an Gen8 and i was thinking to add an external 4 bay so i can make another RAID 5 or extend my RAID 5 to 7 disks and 1 spare.

First can i do this.

Second if so what card do i need or can i do this via the e-SATA or second LAN Port on the GEN8.

IF anyone has done this or has idea or makes of hardware please let me know since i do not want to spend cash on another Gen8.

Thanks

Hi

Not done this myself but would think its possible with a 4 port sata PCI card, cables and external 4 hdd enclosure.

looking at the costs of the expansion enclosure option and possible problems with disk power up and being seen by DSM etc might be easier just to get another Gen8 !

Well i have been thinking of that but the cost vs external bay is a big difference. I have a CFI Unit that can take 8 drives over 2x e-SATA and i have a PCI Card so i might give it a try.

I just do not know if the DSM will see the controller. Have to see how the Synology External units works.

The 8 bay unit sounds interesting, could be a great option.

If I'm guessing right, the drive bay unit might have two sata port multipliers built in. I've seen some threads about these and tried one myself and most times only the drive on channel 1 is seen by Xpenology, I think because of the drivers etc.

I recently got two of these 8 port cards, which work perfectly with Xpenology

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supermicro-AO ... 1663878200