XPEnology Community

Dischi HHD

PincoPalla

Hello everyone, I'm continuing to do the functionality tests with respect to the functions I need from the DSM, today I reinstalled for the umpteenth time the DSM vers. 918+ on virtual machine; I configured 6 virtual disks on virtualbox (to see if he saw them all, the 918 would be a 4 disk) of 5Gb each and once the machine started and all the installation operations were done I went to configure the volume and the pool; In SHR it does not make me do it (which in an installation the same it had made me do) then if I do the volume in RAID5 (6 5Gb disks in RAID5) at the end it gives me an available volume of 2Gb. It's correct??? I don't think so, also I noticed that he sees the drives starting from 5 (the first is the boot) why ??? Thank you

1.png

6 hours ago, PincoPalla said:

(to see if he saw them all, the 918 would be a 4 disk)

the 918+ loader makes sure its 16 disks

6 hours ago, PincoPalla said:

In SHR it does not make me do it (which in an installation the same it had made me do) then if I do the volume in RAID5 (6 5Gb disks in RAID5) at the end it gives me an available volume of 2Gb

check the disks you confugured and count the availible sapce properly

every disks hold 2.4GB as system partiton plus 2GB as swap both raid1 over all disks

so if you configured 5GB then 4.4GB are already taken by "initializing" the disk for use (dsm system is a raid1 over all disks, usb is just the kernel to start loading from disk)

maybe try thin disks and make them bigger (as long as you dont copy data to the new raid volume the thin disks will only take very little real disk space)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

the 918+ loader makes sure its 16 disks

check the disks you confugured and count the availible sapce properly

every disks hold 2.4GB as system partiton plus 2GB as swap both raid1 over all disks

so if you configured 5GB then 4.4GB are already taken by "initializing" the disk for use (dsm system is a raid1 over all disks, usb is just the kernel to start loading from disk)

maybe try thin disks and make them bigger (as long as you dont copy data to the new raid volume the thin disks will only take very little real disk space)

Hi IG 88 yes thanks I tried to redo the installation with 15Gb disks, 5 15Gb disks in SHR (after 3 disks it's like RAID5) it gives me a volume of about 42 Gb, the 5 Gb disks are too small, but on the other hand I'm doing tests. thank you, by the way, I see that in this forum you are one of the most prepared, I wanted to ask you if there is a list of processors supported by synoboot, I seem to have seen it days ago but I can't find it anymore. Thanks again

there was a old list when we tried to find out what was working with 918+

we know it needs 4th gen intel to boot

for the lowers possible specs you can look here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

when it comes to new cpus there is just a core limit ( see link above) and as long as you dont want to use hardware transcoding even the latest intel and ryzen are ok

for hardware transcoding (intel quick sync video)  there is some kind of list in my driver for 6.2.3 thread

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

up to 10th gen lower tier cpu it can be made working 10600K and above seemed not to work

Edited by IG-88