XPEnology Community

NAS keeps disappearing from the network

nrg5009

Hello, hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction.

I have been running xpenology since November and things were great until the last few weeks. Now my NAS keeps disappearing from my network, router says it is not online and WoLAN gets no response. Device is still running but there is no way to reach it over the network without manually rebooting it. At first it was a week or more between instances, now it only last a few hours or less before disappearing. After rebooting there are no apparent messages or issues in the log application to hint at what the issue is. 

System Details:

Jun’s loader v1.02b DS3615xs running DSM 6.1.7

Jetway NF98-QM57 Mini-ITX Motherboard

1st Gen Intel Core i7 Mobile 640M

8GB DDR3 Memory

Three HHDs in RAID5 plus an SSD Cache and Hot Spare

More than willing to try any suggestions or upload additional information, very nooby here and with linux in general.

Edited by nrg5009

• nrg5009 changed the title to NAS keeps disappearing from the network

Check your SSD cache - is it full? I had something similar where it would fall off the network when SSD cache was full. At that moment I had WRITE cache with 2 SSDs in perfect condition(no dead blocks).

It could be a bug in SSD cache mechanism or something.

Be very careful removing SSD cache! I would backup everything that is critical on the NAS somewhere else just as precaution.

8 hours ago, nrg5009 said:

Hello @test4321, thanks for your response. My cache is read only and it is only about 20% full at the moment, it has fluctuated as high as 70% in the past. It is also a pretty small SSD (120GB) compared to the 2TB HDDs if that makes any difference?

Any other suggestions?

I would start with looking at the logs like @IG-88 says. Maybe post them here?

If not SSD cache then could be just old motherboard - its for first generation of i7. 

My Asus Z-97K at 5 years old was already dropping LAN connections if it ran longer than 5 minute file transfers. 

Your motherboard is at least 10 years old. 

Edited by test4321

13 minutes ago, test4321 said:

My Asus Z-97K at 5 years old was already dropping LAN connections if it ran longer than 5 minute file transfers. 

from my experience thats not typical, its most often capacitors (swelling or already blown, inspect the board) or RAM problems (use memtest from a bootable linux media), psu problem might be up next in line

with dsm's lack of a normal console over video out  its hard to tell if its a network problem or the system is frozen/crashed

it would be possible with serial console (null-modem-cable) to check if a local login is still possible

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IG-88 said:

you would need to look into log files in /var/log/

like messages or other files with a recent file date

Ok, I generated the log files. Whoa there are alot. Where should I look, what can I post that would help decipher all this data.

Attached is messages file. Does this help?

4 hours ago, test4321 said:

I would start with looking at the logs like @IG-88 says. Maybe post them here?

If not SSD cache then could be just old motherboard - its for first generation of i7. 

Your motherboard is at least 10 years old. 

@test4321 I uploaded the messages file from /var/log/dsm above but like I said in my original post very noob. Not sure what I am looking at/looking for.

As far as hardware goes, yes the CPU is very old (ebay find for another project that didn't pan out) and the motherboard is old but I bought NiB from ebay still sealed in packaging in October of last year. From ebay so I'm taking that with a grain of salt could be a repackaged scam but seemed all there and sealed. Ram and HDDs/SSD were all bought new for this build after I had the extra CPU laying around without a purpose.

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

from my experience thats not typical, its most often capacitors (swelling or already blown, inspect the board) or RAM problems (use memtest from a bootable linux media), psu problem might be up next in line

with dsm's lack of a normal console over video out  its hard to tell if its a network problem or the system is frozen/crashed

it would be possible with serial console (null-modem-cable) to check if a local login is still possible

@IG-88 I really appreciate your help but I am only following half of what you have suggested here.

System just rebooted up for me to pull the log files (posted messages above) so can I assume that the ram, capacitors and PSU are ok? They were new purchases in 2020.

I think my old school motherboard included a serial cable and has a port on it some where. How do I connect to it and check for a local login? Does it just plug into an old monitor or dongle adapter?

18 hours ago, nrg5009 said:

so can I assume that the ram, capacitors and PSU are ok?

no, if the voltage or current is not stable the system can crash at any time depending on temp. and current drawn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

https://www.memtest.org/

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-104

psu is not so easy to test as things depend on how much power is drawn

easiest usually is to use a psu from another computer to check if the problem is still there with a different psu

just use a search engine, this are basic things and there are ton's of information