XPEnology Community

Upgraded PC now it won't work

Bad Wolf

I had Xpenology working just fine on a Asus mobo / Gen 4 CPU (4570), after a lot of mucking around I finally got it to boot and work properly. Every time I would boot to the USB stick, and the Intro text came up, it was in small writing, I couldn't ping the PC (like it was stalled at the intro message).  But if I went into the BIOS and chose a specific USB boot option (from memory it didn't have UEFI in the USB stick name), large Intro text (double the size or bigger) would come up and I could ping the PC just fine (and it also worked).

Well I want to use the PC without a TV screen attached, so that means in order to get the PC to reboot after a power failure without me having the screen attached to select a specific entry, I might need to update my PC to one that is more compatible with booting from USB.

So I did just that bought a new Asus mobo / Gen 10 Celeron CPU (wanted low power usage) and it will boot off the same USB stick now without any effort, but it is booting to the small writing which basically doesn't work. Back to not being able to ping the machine.

From all the playing around I did previously this is some kind of legacy issue. So I went into "Boot" section of the BIOS and changed it to "Other OS" but that made no difference. I tried following some instruction to disable Secure Boot by deleting the PK key but that made no difference either, I am still booting to the same small writing screen.

I have 5 SATA HDD installed and I can see them being recognised in the BIOS (listed in the right SATA spot and size details - enabled), but they aren't available for booting from under "Boot", which is a bit weird. Does the BIOS some how know they are data disks and there are no bootable OS on them? Although two of the drives (mirrored) have the DSM installation on them.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Edited by Bad Wolf

OK sorted some of the problem after a lot of research on trying to find out how to disable Secure Boot and enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) I finally had a win. None of the online suggestions worked. I update the BIOS on this brand new motherboard (was about 5 BIOS versions and 7 months out of date) Now I suddenly have the non UEFI USB stick option showing up, along with a new 500GB M.2 drive I installed, still no signs of the other 5 SATA HDDs in the boot order option list. (but showing in other parts of the BIOS).

But... I do have the magic non UEFI option which allowed me to boot into the big writing version of the Intro text. But it doesn't appear in the list when I ping it, so I am not 100% sure I am there yet. The cursor isn't flashing (I thought it was before but I could be mistaken).

Do I need to do a re-installation for it to work? Being that it still doesn't show up the SATA drives that the DSM is installed on, that could be the problem still?

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

t when I ping it, so I am not 100% sure I am there yet. The cursor isn't flashing (I thought it was before but I could be mistaken).

if you use a 4th gen or newer you could use 1.04b 918+ dsm 6.2.3 in uefi  (works csm too), only 1.03b 3615/17 needs csm/legacy

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

without exact information about the board we cant say anything about the nic

if its a intel i225 its not going to work even with a extended driver version of the extra.lzma, in that case you can start looking for  a additional nic

any other nic will be at least possible

46 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

if you use a 4th gen or newer you could use 1.04b 918+ dsm 6.2.3 in uefi  (works csm too), only 1.03b 3615/17 needs csm/legacy

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

without exact information about the board we cant say anything about the nic

if its a intel i225 its not going to work even with a extended driver version of the extra.lzma, in that case you can start looking for  a additional nic

any other nic will be at least possible

Board is an Asus ROG Strix B460-F Gaming

It uses an Intel 1219v NIC

Originally installed DSM_DS3617xs_23739.pat

then updated to DSM_DS3617xs_25426.pat

Think I used 103b because it was the only one I could get to work if I recall on the old board.

Need DS3617xs for the extra drives.

Edited by Bad Wolf

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Need DS3617xs for the extra drives.

There are actually 16 drive slots available on DS918+ so that should not be a consideration for you.  DS3617xs is only needed if your CPU cannot handle it (not your concern) or if you need 16 CPU threads, or RAIDF1.

7 hours ago, flyride said:

There are actually 16 drive slots available on DS918+ so that should not be a consideration for you.  DS3617xs is only needed if your CPU cannot handle it (not your concern) or if you need 16 CPU threads, or RAIDF1.

Yes I forgot they were expandable with add on units. Currently having problems with the PC, can't even get Linux to install. Won't allow me to use the recognised HDDs, so I have to solve that problem first.