XPEnology Community

Why I can connect to Xpenology THROUGH Netgear Switch with SAMBA/FTP, BUT I CANNOT ACCESS to Xpenology THROUGH the WEB IP?

Mary Andrea

I built a home 10G net between Mac >> Netgear Switch >>> Server Xpenology. LAN 10G works between both devices connected on 10g ports, and Netgear Switch to Modem. But randomly LAN IP XPENOLOGY (DSM 6.2.3 xs3617) became missing. No more IP, but I can see Synology by Samba connection. So, What I am doing wrong ? Could be standard/cross cable connecting Switch to Modem? or What could be ? (I add a picture how I built LAN network). I'll appreciate any tips/ideas to find a solution?  

Captura de Pantalla 2021-01-29 a la(s) 20.45.32.jpg

12 hours ago, flyride said:

Is there a second NIC in the NAS or PC? / Is there an IP address for the switch? Is any routing being done by the switch?

Thk Flyrider for answer !

Yes, there is a second NIC on the NAS (I think you already imagine the problem!) 

I have not configured static IP for the switch (should I?) 

There is no routing through the switch, I just plugged the cables there. 

----

Note: If I activate Wifi on Mac I can already enter the Synolgy WEB, but of course, the connection is established in this way in another LAN, and I would like the connection between the MAC or PC and the NAS running at 10G.

I believe it’s a setting problem of how I configure the submasks and LANs on each machine. But I can't understand how do it.  Thanks very much. 

Attach how is setted now, (in this way doesnt work Web DSM connection)

Finally, Should I edit USB synoboot Grub macaddress NIC?

Thks very much!

1513753705_NICssetting.thumb.jpg.669c9a74c8f01da1cdd45d4063525ca0.jpg

Edited by Mary Andrea

An IP network is a logical entity defined by the address and mask, it's not the physical connection between devices but is governed by physical connectivity rules.

You have two networks defined right now:

192.168.1.0/24 (/24 is the 24 bit mask which is the same as 255.255.255.0) - this network has 255 potential members

10.10.0.0/16 (/16 is a 16 bit mask which is the same as 255.255.0.0) - this network has 65,535 potential members

Your Modem can talk with your PC and with the NAS Intel port because everyone is on the same IP network 192.168.1.0/16 and it is all connected on the switch.

One IP network cannot talk with the other IP network unless there is a router involved, which you say you do not have (technically your modem is a router as it has a public IP lease on the Internet port, but it does not factor into this problem).

How did you verify that 10GBe traffic was working.  I don't think it is (unless you are using a layer 2 protocol like AppleTalk). The NAS is not a router so it will not pass traffic from the 10.10.0.0/16 network to 192.168.1.0/24, and unless the switch has a 10.10.0.0/16 address and it is also routing, it will not pass the 10Gbe traffic to your PC.

I think you should change your 10Gbe port to a 192.168.1.0/16 address and start using that IP to connect to the NAS instead of 192.168.1.40, which is then just a backup IP.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

I still do not understand, sorry.  

did you said

1) "unless there is a router involved,which you say you do not have .

Netgear 10G switch does not do that task?  

did you said

2) "How did you verify that 10GBe traffic was working".

Because I tested (Blackmagic speed Test) by Samba between Mac to Server , through

moreover

3) Switch is manageable, should I in this case configure some IP on the switch? 

4) Server (Xpeno) has two NICs, so should the NIC LAN1 have one mask and the NIC LAN2 another?

thk very much!

54 minutes ago, Mary Andrea said:

1) "unless there is a router involved,which you say you do not have .

Netgear 10G switch does not do that task?  

A switch does not route between IP networks unless it is a routing switch (most consumer/low-end switches do not have this ability), AND

1. The correct IP network is configured on each physical port, so it knows how to divide the networks, or
  2. Overlapping IP networks are configured on all interfaces (in this case, what is the point of having multiple networks), or
  3. VLANs are configured, assigned to IP networks, and mapped to physical ports

2) "How did you verify that 10GBe traffic was working".

Because I tested (Blackmagic speed Test) by Samba between Mac to Server , through

moreover

The only way I think it can be working is if it is not using TCP/IP protocol (a layer 3 protocol) and is instead using Layer 2 - i.e. AppleTalk or NetBEUI.  This traffic is forwarded by the switch to all ports regardless of the way the IP networks are configured.  But it will not allow you to access the web UI, which is TCP/IP only.

3) Switch is manageable, should I in this case configure some IP on the switch? 

Not necessarily.  If you need to configured advanced features like VLANs etc, you will need to assign an IP to the switch so that you can get access.  It probably took one via DHCP already and you aren't using it.  However, I asked the question to see if you were trying to route with the switch, which you are not.  So it's really irrelevant at the moment.  What model is the switch and we can confirm whether it has routing capabilities.

4) Server (Xpeno) has two NICs, so should the NIC LAN1 have one mask and the NIC LAN2 another?

IP networks are defined by the network number and mask. They go together. There are 32 bits available (four 8-bit numbers). The mask decides how many bits are assigned to the network number, and how many are assigned to identify devices on the network.  You cannot have different masks on the same IP network.

Your current physical network has no way to route between multiple IP networks, so the solution is to stop using the odd (10.10.0.0/16) IP network and assign the only device using it (NAS 10GBe) to the 192.168.1.0/24 network.  Your NAS will then have two IP addresses on the same network - one for the 1Gbe port and the other for the 10Gbe port.  This is fine.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, flyride said:

What model is the switch and we can confirm whether it has routing capabilities.

Model switch I've its the up pic "netgear GS110EMX". 

Ohhhh flyride , thks so much !! Topic is complex to me, but you are doing simple, step and step I'm understanding and improving my home Network with Xpeno!!! 

17 hours ago, flyride said:

Your current physical network has no way to route between multiple IP networks, so the solution is to stop using the odd (10.10.0.0/16) IP network and assign the only device using it (NAS 10GBe) to the 192.168.1.0/24 network.  Your NAS will then have two IP addresses on the same network - one for the 1Gbe port and the other for the 10Gbe port.  This is fine.

Works !!! Works !! Yesss, One IP (and mask) on NAS was definitely wrong, I change 10.0.x.x  and included same Mask of network and router, and now everything is fine. Many, many. thank you - issue resolved.

Glad to hear that you could sort it out.  Looking at the datasheet for the GS110EMX, it's definitely a managed switch, supports VLAN tagging and port assignment, but does not have Layer 3 (routing) capabilities.  If you were to want multiple IP networks, you will still need a routing service.

• Thanks 1