XPEnology Community

DS918 + installation problems in Asrock J5040-itx

Micoff

Hello everyone

I can't install dsm on my Asrock J5040-itx board. I have read in the update report that several colleagues from the forum have succeeded.

I have done the installation as they describe with JUN'S LOADER v1.04b - 918+ and DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3. But since it only lets me boot from the pendrive in uefi mode (I can't in any way get it to boot in legacy) I think the problem is here (in boot mode).

When I start up in uefi it detects the computer and I proceed to do the manual installation of the pat and when it finishes and restarts I no longer detect it anywhere.

I hope your answers and that you can help me solve the problem.

Thanks in advance

On 1/29/2021 at 12:06 PM, Micoff said:

it only lets me boot from the pendrive in uefi mode (I can't in any way get it to boot in legacy) I think the problem is here (in boot mode).

no uefi is fine with 1.04b 918+

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

On 1/29/2021 at 12:06 PM, Micoff said:

When I start up in uefi it detects the computer and I proceed to do the manual installation of the pat and when it finishes and restarts I no longer detect it anywhere.

if you get as far as seeing the booted loader in network you don't have boot problem

you can try to extract zImage and rd.gz. from the 6.2.3 *.pat file (using 7zip) copy that to the 2nd partition of the loader (replace the file there) and also copy new extra/extra2.lzma

from here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

to the 2nd partition, also replace the files, that way the loader will be updated to use the kernel of dsm 6.2.3

try if you still see the loader modded this way in network (before installing the *.pat file)

Edited by IG-88

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/29/2021 at 5:49 PM, IG-88 said:

if you get as far as seeing the booted loader in network you don't have boot problem

you can try to extract zImage and rd.gz. from the 6.2.3 *.pat file (using 7zip) copy that to the 2nd partition of the loader (replace the file there) and also copy new extra/extra2.lzma

from here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

to the 2nd partition, also replace the files, that way the loader will be updated to use the kernel of dsm 6.2.3

try if you still see the loader modded this way in network (before installing the *.pat file)

I dont want to open new topic......because I have exactly the same problem as OP, just with different motherboard/setup.

MSI H81M-P33

Intel G3220 Pentium (its Haswell)

Realtek NIC (8111G)

I have instaled also additional Intel PCI-E NIC (EXPI9301CTBLK)  <----- I have tought that I have realtek driver problem....

I have red everything available regarding how to resolve "no network after reboot".

1st tried ds3615 1.03b/6.2.3....no synology detected on your lan.....tried the same with extra/lzma...the same result..extra/lzma + zlmage+rd.gz....tried the same combination but with 6.2.2....no LAN

2nd ds918+ 1.04b/6.2.3.....I can see DS918 but not after reboot.....tried extra/extra2....the same.......tried extra/extra + zlimage/rd.gz....no lan....tried everything mentioned with 6.2.2....the same!

DS918+ works every time except there is no conectivity after reboot!

Tested buletproof combination......ds3615/6.1.7/1.02b.......it worked flawlessly....so it seems that with every other combination I get NIC driver problem!

Is there anythting else I can do? ds918+ would be superb......or 3615 with 6.2.3 (for safety reasons)...or am I stucked with 6.1.7 DS3615?

Tnx in advance

Edited by Kamele0N

i'm having the same problem have a working build with ds3615/6.1.7/1.02b.
and would like to update also.

The Stick boots, but stays on Screen will stop updating ....
Not getting the booting kernel message
Does not find the nas

Asus B150-PLUS on intel i5-6400

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/9/2021 at 10:24 AM, shooter01 said:

Hi... Asrock-j5040-ITX with bootloader 1.04 and DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 was installed without problems. The only change in hardware is that I disabled the built-in network and installed Intel Server Adapter PCI-E

Hello, did you disable the built-in due to some issue in operation or just to use a better PCI-E card ?

• 3 weeks later...
В 07.03.2022 в 23:45, felix_w сказал:

Hello, did you disable the built-in due to some issue in operation or just to use a better PCI-E card ?

Hi. Turned it off so it wouldn't get in the way. on the second xpenology network Realtek, 70-80 Mbit. On the server network card - 112-120Mbit

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 9:45 PM, shooter01 said:

Hi. Turned it off so it wouldn't get in the way. on the second xpenology network Realtek, 70-80 Mbit. On the server network card - 112-120Mbit

Oh, ok. On my N3700-itx, i have a solid 110-120MB/s though. I hope that doesn't change with the J5040 i'm planning to get.