Recommended Posts

Hi everyone new member here

I'm possibly looking Adam stalling xpenology on a HP XW4600

Intel Core2Quad Q9300 CPU 4gb ram 640gb HD

My Current Nas is too small it's 2 bay nas  from Synology 

would like to add 4 X 2 TB Hard disks for 8 TB of space 5 

any thing should be worried about ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 could also buy this instead CPU: Intel E6420 RAM: 3GB @ 800 Mhz MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5B-V POWER SUPPLY: 350W STORAGE: 300GB Hdd I'm look to do this on the cheep and then go buy the harddisk

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Onknight said:

I see this one 

yes and the solution is also there, look in bios to set sata to ahci (ide or raid are wrong) - if there is such switch, you never know with HP as they customize the bios heavily

 

2 hours ago, Onknight said:

 could also buy this instead CPU: Intel E6420 RAM: 3GB @ 800 Mhz MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5B-V

its not going to be much better, you would not need mbr loader and the switch for sata ahci might be present and easier to find but you would still be bound to 3615/3617

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

31 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

yes and the solution is also there, look in bios to set sata to ahci (ide or raid are wrong) - if there is such switch, you never know with HP as they customize the bios heavily

 

its not going to be much better, you would not need mbr loader and the switch for sata ahci might be present and easier to find but you would still be bound to 3615/3617

Decided to go with Intel6420 System 

what do I need to get it going  

Can you give me steps 

or Links to area of the site I can Read to get me up to speed 

 

I found thus youtube vid 

Thanks IG88

 

Edited by Onknight
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Onknight said:

Can you give me steps 

or Links to area of the site I can Read to get me up to speed

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

1.03b 3617 dsm 6.2.3 would be the one to choose if there are any problems you can try one generation back loader 1.02b with dsm 6.1

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

for dsm 6.2.3 just use loader 1.03b instead, all the steps are the same

 

there are some minor problems editing the loader with windows 10

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

 

also the faq is good to read for some basics (like that the loader is usb and the system (dsm itself) is raid1 over all disks

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, IG-88 said:

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

1.03b 3617 dsm 6.2.3 would be the one to choose if there are any problems you can try one generation back loader 1.02b with dsm 6.1

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

for dsm 6.2.3 just use loader 1.03b instead, all the steps are the same

 

there are some minor problems editing the loader with windows 10

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

 

also the faq is good to read for some basics (like that the loader is usb and the system (dsm itself) is raid1 over all disks

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

Thanks for your help I have XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5565.1  Running with DSM_DS3615xs_5565.pat

It tells me there upgrade DSM-6.0-8754   do I ignore it ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Onknight said:

I have XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5565.1  Running with DSM_DS3615xs_5565.pat

It tells me there upgrade DSM-6.0-8754   do I ignore it ?

 

if you dont want to create a new loader for 6.0 you would need to ignore that

 

my intention would have been to steer you at least to loader 1.02b with dsm 6.1 (that one does uefi and csm/legacy, 1.03b for dsm 6.2.3 does only csm/legacy bios and some people have problems to get that working as it need certain bios settings and also booting from the non uefi usb boot device)

 

so if you just started and dont have data an your nas i would suggest you give loader 1.03b a try as this dsm version get's (security) updates

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, IG-88 said:

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

1.03b 3617 dsm 6.2.3 would be the one to choose if there are any problems you can try one generation back loader 1.02b with dsm 6.1

 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

for dsm 6.2.3 just use loader 1.03b instead, all the steps are the same

 

there are some minor problems editing the loader with windows 10

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

 

also the faq is good to read for some basics (like that the loader is usb and the system (dsm itself) is raid1 over all disks

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

 

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

 

if you dont want to create a new loader for 6.0 you would need to ignore that

 

my intention would have been to steer you at least to loader 1.02b with dsm 6.1 (that one does uefi and csm/legacy, 1.03b for dsm 6.2.3 does only csm/legacy bios and some people have problems to get that working as it need certain bios settings and also booting from the non uefi usb boot device)

 

so if you just started and dont have data an your nas i would suggest you give loader 1.03b a try as this dsm version get's (security) updates

There really not alot data on it  I am using as Test Bench anyways to learn how to use docker 

I still need to buy 3  3TB hard Desk later this year 

Tried install 103b and it gets suck

CPU: Intel E6420 RAM: 7GB @ 800 Mhz MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5B-V POWER SUPPLY: 350W STORAGE: 300GB Hdd + 500GB Drive 

 

 

353739215_ScreenShot2018-08-01at4_00_50PM.png.3a28b3849450c22c6ce808c2e9554c6c.png

Edited by Onknight
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.