XPEnology Community

USB LAN CARD - Install

enerel

Hello everyone i am new user currently just exploring all this NAS thing, Synology is most user-friendly and best software so i thought i should give it a try to my old desktop that i almost throw away.

Anyway the Question is:

My Ethernet read write speed is only 10MB, my router cable and everything is high speed, i think my old desktop built in enthernet is too old so i decided to plug USB2.0 LAN converter by Lenovo but when i swap the LAN cable to USB converter it could not find on find.synology.com. how to configure it?

My PC:  P5E3 CPUQ9550, 8GB ram, 16GB SSD(boot), 980GB intel SSD (server model) for data.

Loader: DS3615xs 6.1 Jun’s Mod V1.02-alpha

DSM: DSM_DS3615xs_15047.pat

Edited by enerel

• enerel changed the title to USB LAN CARD - Install
2 hours ago, enerel said:

i swap the LAN cable to USB converter it could not find on find.synology.com. how to configure it?

imho install with usb nic is not supported, you should install with a onboard nic or a pci/pcie card nic and after that you could add the usb nic (before starting dsm)

if the usb nic is supported you should see a additional network card in dsm and should be able to use it (keep in mind that the usb 2.0 bandwidth can't be more then 40 MB/s)

whats wrong with the onboard nic?  according to asus its a  marvell 88E8056 gigabit nic and its driver sky2 is supported in the loader

also i would suggest using loader 1.02b, the "a" and "a2" had problems and where replaced by "b"

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7848-links-to-loaders/

not shure why is has to be 1.02 and dsm 6.1, you could also use 1.03b and dsm 6.2.3, all the same when it comes to installing and loader preparation

8 hours ago, IG-88 said:

not sure why is has to be 1.02 and DSM 6.1, you could also use 1.03b and DSM 6.2.3, all the same when it comes to installing and loader preparation

I tried to upgrade to loader 1.3 and DSM 6.2.3 but failed when installing DSM so i decided to go back to 6.1