XPEnology Community

MAC & Serial number change? Is it necessary

best74

Hi, i just installed DSM 5.2-5565 + Update 2.

It has been a while since i used xpenology, and i am wondering why different guides point out that i need to change serial/mac address on my install?

I've noticed a few Syno services that dont work, but i'm able to install packages without modding serial/mac..?

afaik, mostly why people are talking changing serial/mac is to use Synology ddns/heartbeat/QuickConnect services...

Xpenology consensus is to avoid using these services anyway, so as to not encourage Synology to make life more difficult for Xpenology users.

Leave Synology's servers for Genuine Synology products... besides, with a tiny bit of networking knowledge, most, if not all of the services offered by their services can be replicated with 3rd party (and often Free) providers.

(That having been said, some people started with actual Synology brand products and have one (or more) collecting dust in their attic, and it's certainly more of a gray area repurposing a Genuine synology products serial/mac for use with an Xpenology build)

Yeah, that was my thoughts exactly.

I have a synology ds212j, but im considering making my own xpenology, so that i can use Plex with transcoding capabilities.

I can manage without ddns (i have static ip, and my own domain anyways). The only thing i would consider, (which seems to use Synology Quickconnect) is the Cloud solution for remote backup, for my family. But there is problably tons of ways to do that.. And i haven't really had any good results with Quickconnect service, actually i dont even bother using it in my current setup...

afaik, mostly why people are talking changing serial/mac is to use Synology ddns/heartbeat/QuickConnect services...

Xpenology consensus is to avoid using these services anyway, so as to not encourage Synology to make life more difficult for Xpenology users.

Leave Synology's servers for Genuine Synology products... besides, with a tiny bit of networking knowledge, most, if not all of the services offered by their services can be replicated with 3rd party (and often Free) providers.

(That having been said, some people started with actual Synology brand products and have one (or more) collecting dust in their attic, and it's certainly more of a gray area repurposing a Genuine synology products serial/mac for use with an Xpenology build)

+1 totally agree

Yes, it's necessary

• because Syno gets a free lesson, but Google pays
  • quickconnect is a part of DSM

I'm not sure i understand what you're trying to say here....

Synology gets what lesson? and Google has What to do with this?

and yes QuickConnect is a part of DSM... sure.. but it uses Synology's servers...

It just seems a bit... rude?... to use their servers for products that aren't theirs.

Just to answer the title of this post, if you are not running a couple of of XPEnologized PCs, and you got 1 to play, then you no need to mess around the serial no. to make it unique.

If want to use QuickConnect ( strongly not encourage) then you need to make your serial number unique and matching MAC address, you need to refer to http://xpenology.me , refer to the tutorial tab, and find how to do change serial no. And matching MAC address for your system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I keep struggling to understand your meaning, perhaps a language barrier...

Are you saying that Synology is over charging for their ds415+? Welcome to Capitalism.

As for "Quick Connect server is part of Synology"... yes, Synology owns and operates and pays for the servers and the Internet traffic for the Quick Connect service.

Thus using THEIR traffic and THEIR servers for your nonSynology product does seem rude to me, yes.

Welcome to Capitalism.

fuck Capitalism!

fuck Germany!

since when is germany the "home" of the capitalism?

do you even know waht you are talkin about?

if so please keep objectively an tell u why you think capitalism and germany is bad...

btw..afaik synology is a taiwan based company and the wall street (home of capitalism?) is in the u.s.

also no one forces you to use xpenology or to buy a genuine synology....if you've got a bit of honor you'd think about the guys who made this project alive.....by your ignorant and rude behavior all of them might get pushed back as syno makes it harder or impossible...or do you pay all the guys here for their work, only THEN! of course i could agree with you....

just my 2 cent

snoopy78

do you even know what youre talking about?

btw..afaik synology is a taiwan based company and the wall street (home of capitalism?) is in the u.s.

I don't need lessons!

if so please keep objectively an tell u why you think capitalism and germany is bad...

[spoiler=because they have badly learned in Russia!]gh.jpg?psid=1

Coming from a non-moderator, but XPEnoboot Team Member: Please try to stay on topic...

This is actually a valid question for new users (and even myself up until recently). The original answers are correct. Synology provides a whole series of services which integrate with DSM and utilize Serial Numbers & MAC Addresses. Synology provides those services in good faith that they will be used by paying Synology customers. If you have purchased Synology hardware then I would say you are entitled to using those services, BUT IF YOU HAVE NOT THEN YOU SHOULD AVOID USING THEM!

It is also true that with a little bit of research & networking knowledge you don't need any of those Synology provided services. I also advocate learning these topics anyway, since you will be administering a live server with no support outside of the XPEnology Community.