XPEnology Community

DS918+ 1.04b - Moving to new hardware with "reinstallation", best approach?

NooL

Hi all

I currently have a Xpenology setup running with DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

As I am upgrading my hardware (new 10GBe NIC and motherboard) i will need to reinstall the system.

I would like to do a "clean" install, where all settings and installed apps are deleted but my movies etc kept intact, i am a bit unsure about the best approach to doing this would be.

My current setup:

Volume1: 1x SSD with no data protection (System)

Volume2: 4x4TB + 4x8TB SHR2  (Data)

Volume1 can be deleted with no issues, but volume2 cant since thats where all my data is, Volume1 acts as a system disk where i install all the apps etc.

The approach i had in mind was:

1.) Login via ssh and delete /etc.defaults

2.) Change motherboard

3.) Use existing USB stick with no changes.

4.) Select reinstall option in USB and latest PAT file from synology?

Would this work, or is there a better way of doing this? Would love your inputs.

I would install another hdd and make sure to have DSM installed on that one as well during configuring as a new volume in your NAS.

Once that'is done you can unplug all the other drives (4x4tb and 4x8tb) and play around with this new drive and see if your plan is going to work.

12 hours ago, NooL said:

My current setup:

Volume1: 1x SSD with no data protection (System)

In general my recommendation is to install DSM on each single drive in your system.

13 hours ago, NooL said:

Guess that won't work as the new NIC has is supposed to have a different MAC address, so you should edit the grub file on you USB stick accordingly.

Edited by TNa681

2 hours ago, TNa681 said:

I would install another hdd and make sure to have DSM installed on that one as well during configuring as a new volume in your NAS.

Once that'is done you can unplug all the other drives (4x4tb and 4x8tb) and play around with this new drive and see if your plan is going to work.

In general my recommendation is to install DSM on each single drive in your system.

1.) Another HDD would do the same as the standalone SSD in it, so im not sure what that would achieve? :)

2.) In regards to DSM, The system partition is installed on all drives per default. i am talking about where Package center apps etc is installed.

3.) Disregard the NIC, i have it cloned with identical MAC's but overall this shouldnt matter as you set the grub to hide your actual MAC /spoof it :)

So i am still curious if my original plan would work.

21 hours ago, NooL said:

The approach i had in mind was:

1.) Login via ssh and delete /etc.defaults

2.) Change motherboard

4.) Select reinstall option in USB and latest PAT file from synology?

Before getting started, I would do a test install to your new motherboard, a scratch drive and a clean loader to make sure all your hardware is working.

I don't know what you would accomplish by step #1 - that seems unnecessary.

You should not reuse a stick when migrating, reburn a clean loader.

Be sure to select Migrate install.

The migration should work okay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyride said:

Before getting started, I would do a test install to your new motherboard, a scratch drive and a clean loader to make sure all your hardware is working.

I don't know what you would accomplish by step #1 - that seems unnecessary.

You should not reuse a stick when migrating, reburn a clean loader.

Be sure to select Migrate install.

The migration should work okay.

Thanks Flyride, much appreciated )

Step #1 was remember an old advice from Olegin on how to make a "fresh" install: (Just without the backup and restore from dss file)

billede.thumb.png.dbbba3eb2bc444d6362b235915e293b1.png

reburn usb to Clean loader, got it.

So reinstall option in USB, but migrate in find.synology.com correct? :)

Just now, flyride said:

Your DSM configuration settings will migrate just fine so no need to delete that folder unless you want to remove them deliberately.

Just boot the USB normally.  Migrate from find.synology.com

Excellent, will do it later tonight.. Hopefully 10GBe later then :)

Again, thanks alot for your answers :)

4 hours ago, flyride said:

Your DSM configuration settings will migrate just fine so no need to delete that folder unless you want to remove them deliberately.

Just boot the USB normally.  Migrate from find.synology.com

Seem to run into a problem with the new motherboard.

I boot from the USB, see the menu and the happy hacking screen. but i am not able to find it via find.synology.com and on my router i cant see anything has taken a IP.

Tried with both the new Intel X550-T2, Old Intel 1GBIT i was using before which i know worked in the old setup, and the internal built in one (I219-v), When i tried with the pcie netcards the internal was one disabled in bios.

Any good ideas for troubleshooting?

I've tried with CSM on and off, booting the usb in UEFI non UEFI, with the internal netcard disabled and enabled.

The new motherboard is a Asrock 365m Pro4

Edited by NooL

Which platform and loader are you installing?  CSM/Legacy boot = non UEFI.  UEFI = CSM/Legacy boot off.  CSM/Legacy boot required for 1.03b and DS3615xs/DS3617xs

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Since you say you tried a supported Intel CT card, I suspect you have a CSM/Legacy boot mismatch.  There are numerous posts on this.

The newest Intel chipsets may not have NIC support unless you load extra.lzma from @IG-88. Also there are reports of a requirement for a functioning 1 GBe card be present for some 10Gbe cards to work.

2 minutes ago, flyride said:

Which platform and loader are you installing?  CSM/Legacy boot = non UEFI.  UEFI = CSM/Legacy boot off.  CSM/Legacy boot required for 1.03b and DS3615xs/DS3617xs

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Since you say you tried a supported Intel CT card, I suspect you have a CSM/Legacy boot mismatch.  There are numerous posts on this.

The newest Intel chipsets may not have NIC support unless you load extra.lzma from @IG-88. Also there are reports of a requirement for a functioning 1 GBe card be present for some 10Gbe cards to work.

I am using 1.04b for DS918.

At first i tried with UEFI only as the DS918 1.04b loader should be capable of this, but the result is the same there.

With only the X550-T2 and internal disabled - Nothing seen on network or in find.synology.com

With only the Intel 82576 and internal disabled - nothing seen on network or in find.synology.com

With only the internal one activated - nothing seen on network or in find.synology.com

Ill try try with the extra.lzma and see if that makes a change.

3 minutes ago, flyride said:

Also there are reports of a requirement for a functioning 1 GBe card be present for some 10Gbe cards to work.

afaik thats just mellanox cards for 3615/17 because the driver is not in extra.lzma and also not in rd.gz (from synology), the original hardware has 1G onboard so they dont need that to be present at boot and as the drivers from synology are working there are no drivers in the extra.lzma

10 minutes ago, flyride said:

UEFI = CSM/Legacy boot off.

i'm nitpicking here (and it depends a little on the bios settings) but if you boot with csm on and choose the uefi device as boot media you end up in uefi mode

that's partly the reason why people have problems to get it to boot in csm/legacym, the csm switch is just a option on top of uefi  (in most cases, i've also seen bios that would disable uefi boot when csm was activated, but that's rare)

if the bios is in clean uefi and csm is activated it would need one boot with csm active to see the legacy boot device and if not chosen manually at boot process the system will usually prefer the uefi boot device

so often just activating csm is not enough

Success at last!

CSM is turned off, UEFI boot only.

I edited the 2nd partition, replaced the extra and extra2 with the driver extension ones, burned the image again and now i was able to get network connectivity.

At first attempt it just booted up like my old diskstation, i had to select "Restore diskstation" in the Find.synology.com - This brought my old config back but all my data drives had "System partition" warning on them.

Rebooted and this time selected the "reinstall" option in the USB, found it in find.synology.com and this time i could select migrate first, and then either keep settings or reinstall.. I selected reinstall and it formatted etc, but when it uploaded the manually downloaded file it failed with "File is probably corrupt" - But i know for a fact its not.

Rebooted again, this time selecting the normal boot option, again i could find it in find.synology.com and had the migration option again, and for some reason the reinstall procedure worked here, it accepted the same file as i tried before and the diskstation is now successfully re-installed on the new motherboard, and the 10GBe is functioning :)

Thanks a bunch guys :)@IG-88 and @flyride

Edited by NooL
  • Like 1

Seeing alot of this stuff in messages, is this due to the smart info being disabled via the driver extension?

2021-01-28T04:10:56+01:00 DiskStation synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Storage_1_load_info[10398]: disk/disk_exceed_unc_thr_cache.c:28 Failed to get exceed unc thr from /run/synostorage/disks//sdm/exc_bad_sec_ct
2021-01-28T04:10:56+01:00 DiskStation synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Storage_1_load_info: SYSTEM:    Last message 'disk/disk_exceed_unc' repeated 1 times, suppressed by syslog-ng on DiskStation
2021-01-28T04:10:56+01:00 DiskStation synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Storage_1_load_info[10398]: disk/disk_exceed_unc_thr_cache.c:28 Failed to get exceed unc thr from /run/synostorage/disks//sdn/exc_bad_sec_ct
2021-01-28T04:10:56+01:00 DiskStation synoscgi_SYNO.Storage.CGI.Storage_1_load_info[10398]: disk/disk_exceed_unc_thr_cache.c:28 Failed to get exceed unc thr from /run/synostorage/disks//sdn/exc_bad_sec_ct

A couple of comments.

System Partition is Synology's generic term for the OS partition.  If you migrate install, you will have a damaged System Partition since the RAID 1 across all the disks is not consistent.  You could have just clicked "fix" and all would be fine as it would have propagated your booted DSM.

Depending on your tech, there may be normal SMART related errors in the syslogs.  See "suppressing SMART errors" for a workaround.

Glad you got yourself up and running on new platform.  Congrats

@IG-88 Can you confirm that the errors in seeing in messages are due to the smart info being disabled via the driver extension on drives attached to my LSI card?

I can see in storage manager that the the all the drives attached via the LSI card is missing the following information.

billede.png.59d3f06d6c7a6e60b690272804eec3ca.png

If so, guess its time to invest in a PCIe JMB585 controller instead? (Shame, i like the thin cables from the LSI compared to normal sata cables) :P
If i change it to a new controller, i could just move them physically and DSM would work the new disk order of the raid out on its own, right?

It should be mentioned that i do not use hibernation.

Edited by NooL

To further dig into the above with missing smart info.

Am I correct in assuming that i have 3 choices:

1.) Live with the missing smart info, possible supress the messages.

2.) Reinstall but this time with the v0.12.1 driver extension (Which as i read it, keeps smart data on LSI)

3.) Change to a standard sata controller (Such as JMB585 based)

?