XPEnology Community

6 hours ago, YAVUZ said:

This screen freezes.

thats just your interpretation, any activity (console) goes to the serial port

6 hours ago, YAVUZ said:

I can't get to my data.

the you should describe what loader and dsm type and version you had and what you have done (with what goal in mind)

in general a normal update does not delete data on volumes, that worst thing is usually that dsm does not start and that can be fixed (usually lost of dsm configuration is worst case, but its usually not impossible to reconfigure ip address, users, shares and plugins)

OK. I appreciate that english is not your native language and i will try to work with that here.

1. Please do not post this again in another forum. Dfds and IG-88 are the gurus here and have seen your problem.

2. Please do not message me directly.

3. I started in xpenology a long time ago by following a video somewhere so I know how confusing it can be.

Now. We are unable to help you unless you help us. We have no idea what hardware you are running on, what version of loader you started with, what changes you made to it and what version of DSM you are trying to install or upgrade.

All of this matters. And I did follow the link to your video but wasn't going to spend 22 minutes of my life watching it.

Your data is almost certainly safe and if all else fails  you can mount it under Linux, assemble the RAID and copy off the data.

Here is some reading 😰

usually synology suggests a update to the recent version and thats 6.2.3, if you started with 6.1 and loader 1.02b you would need a newer loader 1.03b that would need to be prepared in the same way as 6.1 loader 1.02b (grub.cfg, usb vid/pid)

Edited by IG-88

31 minutes ago, YAVUZ said:

do you have any examples of how to do this?

i assumed you would know how to prepare the loader if you had dsm 6.0 or 6.1 before you would be able to do the same with a newer version of the loader

beside the tutorial here in the forum you could also use a youtube tutorial about installing dsm 6.2.3

also you did not give any information about your hardware and the loader/dsm you used before

there might be other options like going back to the version you had before

Edited by IG-88

Method 1. Try upgrade. You want to create a USB loader version 1.03b. There are three flavours depending on what actual hardware you have. the second link I gave you explains which one you need for what age of hardware. Then follow the tutorial in the first link, but using loader 1.03b and the DSM 6.2.3 version.

Method 2. Create a "live" CD or USB with ubuntu or Linux Mint and boot your box with it. Follow the instructions in the below link to assemble a RAID so that you can copy your data off.

Edit: Ha! IG-88 also posts. They know best

Edited by billat29
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, YAVUZ said:

I didn't build this system and I don't know what version,I just want to access my data.Can I do this physically ? do you have any other suggestions ?

ok, if you dont want/need dsm to be working and just want to get access to the data i'd suggest two options

1. use a normal or recover linux and assemble raid and lvm so you can mount the volume

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

2. install open media vault aka ovm (to a different media, dsm drives not connected) and after having omv running, shut down, connect all the dsm drives and boot up omv, in theory omv should detect the data partitions of the dsm data volume (3rd partitions on each disk, 1st and 2nd are dsm system raid1 and linux swap also raid1)

https://www.openmediavault.org

why/how is that working?

dsm runs not from usb, there is just the kernl for start boot process, all the dsm system is a raid1 volume over all disk and there is swap as a 2nd partitions, also raid1, on every disks, the "volume"  where user data are stored is always after these two partitons and when only installing dsm fresh (without any automatic creation of a data volume) there would only be two partitions on  every disks, the data "volume" is then a independent created raid depending on the users choice and that is the one you are after

if the disks where different size and SHR was used for the creation the layout of partitons and lvm can be more complicated but as long as nothing is damaged a normal linux with mdadm and lvm should be able to detect that, SHR is just a clever automatic way of using standard linux tools to get things done, what synologys SHR does can also be done manually on every linux by using mdadm and lvm

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean by "freezes". At that screen you should be able to use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move up and down to select a new option and then press enter. If you do nothing, then it should time out and continue with boot anyway.

The next thing is that it should display one or two more lines of text (like you put in your first screen shot) and then nothing more. No more messages will appear on the screen and it will not respond to any keyboard input.

So what happens?

Don't panic! You will be able to get your data back.

The NAS is not freezing. This is what is supposed to happen. A genuine Synology does not have either a monitor or keyboard and installs from the network.

And that's what we need to do. Find it on your network.

If you have tried both option 1 and 2 then do the following:

1. Look in the page on your router that lists all the devices on your network. Can you find an entry there? If you can, can you connect to its IP address by putting it into your web browser?

2. If it is not there, then turn the NAS off and pull the data cables from all the hard drives. Leave the USB in place. Now restart it. Can you find the NAS now? If you can, then we know you built the USB drive OK.