XPEnology Community

Hard disks installable on loader 1.04b

PincoPalla

Hello everyone, sorry, I think I have read on some posts that all loaders from 1.02 onwards support 12 disks, for example 1.04b for the DS918 + (the DS918 + model has 4 HDD bays) you can "show them" 8/10 HDD ?? I got it right ??? Also I have always read about the same topic

Tutorial/Reference: 6.x Loaders and Platforms

that only with loader 1.04b it is possible to install and show NV.Me as chache, the other loaders do not see them, this is also correct ??? Thanks

2 hours ago, PincoPalla said:

Hello everyone, sorry, I think I have read on some posts that all loaders from 1.02 onwards support 12 disks, for example 1.04b for the DS918 + (the DS918 + model has 4 HDD bays) you can "show them" 8/10 HDD ?? I got it right ??? Also I have always read about the same topic

3615/17 use the default of 12 drives, as the 4 drives of 918+ where kind of useless jun extended that in his patch (part of the loader) to 16 (thats checked/corrected on every boot so if a update sats it back it will be 16 when the system is booted as part of the update, as 3615/17 loader dont check or touch the values around disks numbers its always 12 and if you manually mangle the files it will be reset to 12 on updates and you would need to take care of this by yourself after the update)

2 hours ago, PincoPalla said:

that only with loader 1.04b it is possible to install and show NV.Me as chache, the other loaders do not see them, this is also correct ??? Thanks

its not the loader its a feature of that dsm version, the older units 3615/17 dont have hardware for m.2 and use a older kernel, i do provide nvme drivers with my extended extra.lzma but as all the synology nvme tools are missing in 3615/17 its not much use, you would need to handle and mount the nvme yourself in 3615/17

and even in 918+ you would need to patch to get any nvme usable as cache and there is a risk of loosing the cache when updating and the patched lib is renewed

not much of a problem with read only cache but with a r/w cache that might be a huge problem so its mandatory to disable cache before updating dsm or at least know that the lib in question in snot replaced before updating