XPEnology Community

What case are you using/recommend?

dupontin

Hello all

I am using Jun's loader, 918+ with DSM6.2 x on ASUS Maxiumus VI mobo, running an i5 with 16GB RAM and 6 various HDD 3,4,5TB, successfully, in the end happy with the result, many thanks for your work Jun.

I have everything running in a Bitfennix case, but i'm looking for a dedicated case with removable drive bays, either 8 or 12 bays.

I have looked at these

• Silverstone 380 Case
  • Silverstone 381 Case
  • Antec P101 Silent Mid-Tower ATX Case
  • Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case 

I'm wondering what cases others are using, or can you recommend one of these?

I have two older Mini-ITX motherboards (E45M1-I Deluxe and GA-H55N-USB3) which I intend testing with, if they don't work I'll sell and replace with a more compatible mobo.

Cooling is an absolute must, our temps in Australia reach 40+ in summer and I always add additional fans to improve airflow, I have resorted to cable ties to place fans where i need them.

I also have a Thecus N5500 NAS for backup, which is very old, looking to replace this with Xpenology also, unless anyone has configured Jun's loader without using a video card, all remote?

all input welcome - thanks !

Edited by dupontin

I am using a Sharkoon REX8 Value in combination with hot swap enclosures from Silverstone. It's probably cheaper to buy a rack enclosure but I didn't want to have a loud NAS and I don't like how much space they need horizontally. For my second NAS I use a Node 304 as well. Both are silent and temps are great!

849641003_Blackhawk2.0.thumb.jpg.ea36162d09dcdb3e5b48264a10ed7bc9.jpg

Edited by smileyworld

Thanks for sharing, there is a lot of info on the site around configuring Mobo's, and software, DSM etc. but where we store our hardware is just as important.

Finding a case, with good airflow, able to cool the drives means longevity.  A NAS drive will cook and have a reduced life without adequate cooling.

Please continue to share your case types, I think I will go for the Node 804 as I have a mobo suitable (P8Z68-m Pro with 32GB RAM) with a PCIe SATA 8 port card.

I will likely build it using ESXi as I am thinking of installing a TV card in a second VM.

I'm Happy with the Node 804, there's plenty of room for HDDs and SSDs, I think you can feed it 10 or 12 HDDs (instead of "only" 8) by adding a custom rack with 2 or 4 slots, on the motherboard side of the case. Plus the 2 SSDs hidden behind the front panel, it's a really nice Nas case, if you don't mind the lack of hot swap slots! Used ones are really cheap, I think I bought mine for 30€ 2 years ago.

Edited by pmchan

anyone knowing a case thats not higher then ~4HE (19cm) and max. 40 cm depth that can handle 12 disks

i use a silverstone SST-GD09 that i customized to fit 12 vertical 3.5" hdd's with an micro atx board that has only slightly more depth then mini itx

i did see some rackmount units with 38-40cm but non where you could fit 12 disks ootb (either fixed mounted internal or hot plug), units with 12 x hot plug are usually 55-66 cm in depth

the thing that came near it was a silverstone RM41-506 (but it has 44.6 cm depth), with 2 x FS305 it could hold 14 disks and 10 would be hot plug

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=887&bno=0&tb=43&area=en

Edited by IG-88

#pmchan I am interested in the custom rack with 4 slots, on the motherboard side of the case. Can you please point me to the custom rack, that would be ideal, and do you have any fans on it or using internals.

I'm also looking at putting in a SATA to M.2 card as I have a 500GB Crucial M.2 which I'm looking to re-use likely to contain ESXi?

Thanks all, maybe I or someone can consolidate the chat about cases into a sticky article ?

17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

anyone knowing a case thats not higher then ~4HE (19cm) and max. 40 cm depth that can handle 12 disks

i use a silverstone SST-GD09 that i customized to fit 12 vertical 3.5" hdd's with an micro atx board that has only slightly more depth then mini itx

i did see some rackmount units with 38-40cm but non where you could fit 12 disks ootb (either fixed mounted internal or hot plug), units with 12 x hot plug are usually 55-66 cm in depth

the thing that came near it was a silverstone RM41-506 (but it has 44.6 cm depth), with 2 x FS305 it could hold 14 disks and 10 would be hot plug

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=887&bno=0&tb=43&area=en

I am not sure if it fit your needs but have a look at those:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32830477668.html

https://www.realpower.de/media/filer_public/106155.pdf

1 hour ago, smileyworld said:

thanks

1st one looks interesting as its all hotswap but placing the psu and board on top will be to much trouble as the psu will be more noisy and  my two ahci controllers will be a pain and it would need a extremely flat cooling solution, but looks like good solution for embedded cpu boards with 12 sata and 10G nic already onboard

i guess the 2nd one will fit my needs, found it on amazon under different brands now, with 4HE it could even hold more drives (but have not spotted that one as 4HE)

edit: that might be the 4HE version

https://www.amazon.de/Holzrahmen-INDUST-4U-energysaving-Tiefe-380/dp/B00GQYO8OI/

Edited by IG-88

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received my Node 804, looks good, though I have been unable to find any of the additional drive bays, they are out of stock on the Fractal Design site, doesn't look like they will make any more.  Curious if anyone has made their own ?

I've designed a frame using Vectric Aspire software to take the drives but i'll need to work out how to mount these in the case. anyone who's DIY'd these let me know any points to look out for.

Please continue to update this thread with other case options, there are some great options in the responses above.

thanks all :-)

On 1/23/2021 at 8:28 AM, flyride said:

I'm using the U-NAS 4-bay and 8-bay cases.  They are very compact but hard to build.

I've been thinking of moving my ASrock Q1900DC-ITX to a smaller case, loading XPE and placing it in a friend's house as a remote backup instead of buying something like a DS220j.

What makes the U-NAS 4-bay hard to build? (I see they have a 2-bay too)

Thanks

The U-NAS designs are focused on being compact versus convenient disassembly.  You will find you need to remove more parts of the chassis to do basic reconfiguration and/or maintenance than you would expect.  You will also probably need to look at cable configurations for SATA and power.

The 4-bay is easier than the 8-bay.  I had to make custom cables and careful routing to make the 8-bay installation sanitary, although I admit I was setting up a fully solid-state power supply.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently using a Fractal Design Node 804 which im pretty happy with, but there are room for improvements: 

1.) When drive bays are mounted it leaves very little wiggle room for power/sata adapter - SFX power supply is recommended in my opinion. 

2.) I'd like a overall better airflow although only so much could be done i suppose. 

3.) I'd like a bit more options to route the cables through the case. 

I have bought, but not yet installed a 16port hot-swap Inter-Tech 3U 3414 case which im very much looking forward to taking in use: 

image.thumb.png.9c817704a20d5125324c72a503cddb49.png

image.thumb.png.66e6fe9a19df511b1d7de3d2da6b4598.png

• Like 1