XPEnology Community

Setup Questions and Help

DarkNAS

I have sucessfully installed Xpenology 5.2-5562.2 on a dedicated machine and ported my data over to a created volume. The system seems to run stable without errors for days on end.

My questions:

I created a DDNS through NO-IP and have tried numerous settings on the xpenology box and my router but never really get a good remote connection reliably. What am I missing here?

I purchased the motherboard with 4 intel LAN cards in the hopes of doing some kind of bonding or Link Aggregation which I also have a D-Link DGS-1100-08 switch to possibly utilize in this setup but how?

With my two ideas is it possible to use the switch an/or the router to effectively get remote access as well as Link Aggregation or bonding of the 4 NIC's on my motherboard? I am trying to gain access to the box both at home and away using one address if possible to eliminate confusion for others in my family who may also want to access the box at the same time.

If different equipment is needed please advise. If I just need to change some settings somewhere that would be great. I am just at a loss as to what else to try.

My Equipment:

Supermicro MBD-A1SRi-2758F-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard

Kingston 8GBx4 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 Server Memory Model KVR16LSE11/8KF

Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD10EFRX 4x1TB

Mushkin Enhanced atom 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - used as boot device

Seasonic SS-460FL2 Active PFC F3, 460W power supply

D-Link 8-Port EasySmart Gigabit Ethernet Switch

Netgear WND3700v2 Router

Xfinity cable internet running through Motorola Surfboard SB6141

Yes in DSM it shows a connection of NORMAL...

However when I try to connect via one of the apps it basically times out... I had it working once but now all I get is errors.

When I had it working it would not work with the same address both at home on network and away on another network... That would be great if i could get it to work that way.

Thanks for the help

I have remote access on both my real Synology and xpenology NAS's, its just a matter of correct router/firewall settings

I would test remote access step by step

1) create the necessary 1:1 port forwarding on the router from external IP to internal Xpenology, ports 5000 and 5001

2) test remote connection using the public IP address eg http:/yourpublicip:5000

If that works you then need to check your ddns setup, the router should have a log showing status or look at the no-ip site to see the address matches your current external address, otherwise you have a problem with the ddns setup

Ok so I have basic access at home and away using my phone via wifi or4G.. I have a lot of settings to go through now for each application to work how I want which is fine.

Is there a method or specific hardware to use so that I can login both at home and away using the same address so I don't have to setup to addresses for each app I intend to use?

Tough Question... I would feel fairly comfortable saying Most routers support or have an option to support Nat Loopback...

Most people I find are pretty confident recommending the ASUS or Buffalo lines of routers, Engenius is an unknown but pretty decent brand as well...

as for "playing nice" with DSM, if you mean being listed in the "Router Configuration" list, it's a fairly limited and i think fairly outdated list...

Well my older Netgear WND3700v2 is recognized by DSM and the DSM configuration wizard will write the port forwarding to the Netgear. That would be all I would want for compatibility.

As for the Nat Loopback I cant find anything in the router settings that shows support for that feature

No need for nat loopback.

Do not set up ddns on dsm, set it up other router.

Forward the ports to the dsm up from the router. Should be good to go from there.

You should be able to use the host name in or out of your network.

No need for nat loopback.

Do not set up ddns on dsm, set it up other router.

Forward the ports to the dsm up from the router. Should be good to go from there.

You should be able to use the host name in or out of your network.

Sorry, but no. NAT Loopback will be required to use a DDNS hostname inside your LAN, this is even stated on the Netgear knowledgebase here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13297/~/i-am-unable-to-access-my-web-server-via-host-name

Well I guess my 5 year old linksys has that then. If that's the case they should all have it.

Ddns works fine in and out of the lan on the router. I had issues with ddns on the server.

Yes, your 5 year old linksys does have it... Other routers do not, if you read the link I posted, you'd see the Netgear is specifically excluding the "feature", citing security reasons.

I'm glad DDNS is working for you, and it works with my relatively cheap EnGenius router too... and many if not most routers out there. Just not this particular one. Perhaps if you've had the same linksys router for 5 years straight you haven't had as much exposure to different routers out there.

As another unanswered question...

Is it possible to place all of my network equipment behind a switch and still somehow manage and access the DSM box remotely and also while on the network?

I had intentions of running some sort of network bonding setup or maybe a link aggregation setup but whenever I try to connect just one port of the xpenology box to the switch I can not find it on my network at all.

Thanks again for the help

What switch are we talking about?

A Regular "Dumb" switch should just plug in and give you more ports... anything plugged into the switch, (While the switch is plugged into the router) should interact perfectly with anything else on the switch or on the router... but then again a dumb switch couldn't be used in networking bonding or link aggregation (for the most part).

A smart or managed switch... can be configured in all kinds of different ways, such that different ports are different speeds, or bonded, or not even on the same network as one another.

Link Aggregation gets into kindof advanced networking stuff that might not be the best thing for a networking beginner to get into... Proceed with caution down this path.

I have a Dlink DGS-1100-08 switch that I was attempting to use but it has never been easy. It is a "Smart Switch" but it has limited smart capabilities.

I think it will be a while before I get to try to use the switch again as I haven't even fully fixed the initial router issue yet.

It was mostly an issue I had that I never got any answers to. So thank you for the insight but at this point I will stick to the router and try to get it functioning the way I want it to.

Furthermore I am not sure the hassle of trying to bond or make a Link Aggregation setup work would be worth the extra speed I might see at this point. Maybe in the future but right now so early on in the NAS use and learning I would probably be best off leaving that alone.

I just downloaded the manual for your switch... it looks like even out of the box it has configuration necessary...

Page 11 of the manual...

ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DGS-1100-08/REVA/DGS-1100-08_MANUAL_1.04_EN.PDF

In order to login and configure the switch via an Ethernet connection, the PC must have an IP address in the

same subnet as the switch. For example, if the switch has an IP address of 10.90.90.90, the PC should have

an IP address of 10.x.y.z (where x/y is a number between 0 ~ 254 and z is a number between 1 ~ 254), and

a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0. There are two ways to launch the Web-based Management, you may either click

the Web Access button at the top of the SmartConsole Utility or open the web browser and enter 10.90.90.90

(the factory-default IP address) in the address bar. Then press .

So, if your router is set to a different IP Range than the one the switch defaults to... then anything you plug into the switch will definitely yes be on a different network than those plugged into your router..... Until you adjust the switches settings to match the rest of your network.