XPEnology Community

Improper Shutdown Issues - USB Over Heating ?

Vodka2014

Hi All,

So I moved to a 918+ and the System is working to a point just now I got a Improper Shutdown of the unit. I have an SanDisk 32GB USB.

What I want to know what should I use as when I checked the USB is getting a bit hot. 

Can I move the bootup files to a M.2 or SSD and use the rest of the disk for Data or better to keep it on an USB. 

Thanks in advanced. 

The stick is only needed for the boot process and is not monitored. When the stick gets hot this means your mainboard is not well cooled and you should check your case, especially the cpu cooler and fan. If the cpu fan doesn’t work properly the heat is not blown away and concentraded around the socket. Usually systems shut down on temperatures above 90 degrees celsius, this would explain the improper shutdown.

• Thanks 1

Hi @IG-88

I have found the issue. When i copy files to to the new NAS it hangs and then Reboots. This is the reason why i am getting issues.

So how can i fix this since i am using my HP NC360T on the DS918+

This did not happen when i was running the HP MicroServer GEN8 on DS3156xs. 

Can I move back to DS3156xs on my new Setup Yes i know M.2 Support will not work that is 100%. I take it I still need to extra/extra2 Files as well for this .

Thanks

Edited by Vodka2014

8 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

Can I move back to DS3156xs on my new Setup Yes i know M.2 Support will not work that is 100%.

you just need to boot with loader 1.03b for 3615 and it will offer to migrate to the new system, it will use all settings and (if possible) plugins, also your date in volumes will remain the way they are

8 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

I take it I still need to extra/extra2 Files as well for this .

no, for one 1.03b only hat one file (extra.lzma) and the default extra.lzma (meant to be used for 6.2.0) is also working for 6.2.3 and should have working drivers for the intel based nic

you would only use the newer 6.2.3 extra.lzma (for 3615) when something does not work

the new 6.2.3 extra/extra2 for 918+ is mandatory because of jun's added i915 drivers, 3615/17 don't have these drivers

12 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

Oh 1 more thing do I need to enable CSM in the BIOS

and you need to reboot with that enabled to see the non uefi (legacy) usb boot device

if csm is active and you choosed the uefi usb boot device then the csm will have no effect

12 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

and disabled above 4G Decoding ?

i think thats not important in our case

Hi @IG-88

So it is not the Loader of what i have tried so far 918+ & 3615xs not sure if i should try 3617xs ?. There is an issue with maybe the Driver of the Controller that i have on the Motherboard Or the BackPlane of the unit i have. I wonder if this is an Driver Crash when i copy files....

This is what i have. 

Server - S1

MotherBoard - Asus TUF H370-Pro Gaming

RAM - 16 GB Corsair DDR4

Thanks in advanced.

Edited by Vodka2014

3 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

Driver of the Controller

what controller?

the normal onboard sata can't be a problem, if its a lsi sas then 918+ can have issues when disk hibernation is active

imho 3617 is a better choice as it has some newer drivers then 3615 and supports more cpu cores, just a better 3615

2-3 years ago there might have been some packages that where available for 3615 bot not showed for 3617, that should not be much of a thing now and if you have the spk file at hand you can change the INFO file make it work

i'd say make sure the hardware is working by using 3615 or 3617, if you don't need hardware transcoding and nvme you are fine with 3617 (its even better suited for ssd raid's as of F1 mode that 918+ does not have)

Hi @IG-88

So i have tried all Loaders on my New Setup and all have the same issue. With doing all this I got my Volume 1 Crashed and decided to move back to my HP MicroServer GEN8.

After i moved back the System did a File Check and my Volume came back. Then i did an repair for the System as it asked for it.

Now i am back to where i started and Pray to everyone who i prayed to all is up and working :)

I have no clue what is going on with the New System but will now add a temp disk and see if i can get this fixed. 

All i have is 4x WD RED PRO Disks and 1 SSD.

What could be this issue as i am stuck since i need to move to this new platform.

Thanks Again

So i have done a Test with 918+ with an 500GB Disk and the same issues happens. I changed Ports on the MB.

The File Copy stops then the Web Interface Crashes and then it reboots. 

So could this be the H370 Driver Issue / Chipset ? 

Edited by Vodka2014

6 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

So could this be the H370 Driver Issue / Chipset ? 

i'm not aware of a general problem with the ahci kernel driver (3.10.105 and 4.4.59), more likely something is wrong with your hardware

i'd suggest checking the ram with a live linux and memtest (usually a boot option)

you can search the forum for anything special about the chipset

1 hour ago, Vodka2014 said:

So yes you where correct I had an 1x 8GB RAM Module that has failed and was full of Errors with memtest.

you would need to test the module in a 2nd computer or test with replacement module in the nas

in theory the problem can be the pairing of modules or the systemboard in the nas