XPEnology Community

Hyper-V with DSM 6.2

XGhosT

Good afternoon!

Has anyone managed to run 6.2 under Hyper-V?

I tried it and realized that, first of all, it is not so much the lack of drivers (they can be rebuilt) that interferes with the incomprehensible system of the boot loader.

For some reason, a special kernel is loaded first, which then calls the kernel from the Jun.

And for some reason, the first kernel cannot call the second with the IDE controller - i'v get error 'mount failed'

Why did you need to launch the first kernel?
What does it do?

If this can be understood, it will be possible to build and run under hyper-present, the second kernel for DSM

4 hours ago, XGhosT said:

with the incomprehensible system of the boot loader.

not really, as the loader uses the original dsm kernel it depends whats on the kernel and hyper-v needs kernel options that the dsm kernel does not have (that cant be loaded as a module later)

it runs fine with esxi, kvm or virtualbox

For some reason, a special kernel is loaded first, which then calls the kernel from the Jun

presumably this makes fake pci devices available the protection in dsm is looking for

if you do a lspci -k on a installed system you will see some "special" devices not using a driver

btw. did you read the faq or tried to use the forum search about hyper-v?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9393-hardware-faq/?tab=comments#comment-82383

What does it do?

the one who made the "hack" (loader) did not make everything available, partly to not make it to easy for synology to get around the hack

there where hints from jun about one or the other thing, you would need to read his posts to gather these things

If this can be understood, it will be possible to build and run under hyper-present, the second kernel for DSM

i'm not so sure that is going to work

the old approach of loader for dsm 4/5 where based of a custom kernel, making some synology custom things available by revers engineering, jun's approach is less invasive and try's to make dsm not see that its not running on a non-synology hardware, on long term its less problems with updates i guess, you can just install the original updates in the webgui as you would on a original system

the last thing i remember about building a new custom kernel was about thr missing source for synobios.ko, but i guess there might be more to adjust as dsm check for checksums when installing/booting for integrity and also is using driver signing (but might not force that atm)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/27005-synology-sources-for-24922branch/?tab=comments#comment-170723

circumvent the protections is one thing but a custom kernel seems to be more difficult

1 hour ago, flyride said:

Microsoft chose not to emulate any of the popular NICs XPE uses

with hyper-v v1 it was just a 100MBit tulip nic and with its v2 version MS even removed that and now there is only the synthetic nic that needs kernel support in linux (that we don't have)