XPEnology Community

setting up vpn gateway

AbleArcher

I have a similar setup as described by @flyride. Pfsense is directly connected to my ISP's modem and I have OpenVPN set up on it. I also have the OpenVPN setup on the XPEnology in-case for some reason I cannot access Pfsense's OpenVPN but if that happens it usually means the ISP is down or a power outage anyway.

Edited by gadreel

15 hours ago, flyride said:

It's arguably better to have a separate and dedicated device for VPN termination. Best practice would actually have the VPN terminating at your perimeter. Can you run Wireguard on your firewall?

hmm i dont know its not something ive thought about, this is all fairly new to me, ive got a couple of raspberry pi's knocking about not doing anything and thought id try the pi  gateway if its not going to be too hard to set up.

13 hours ago, gadreel said:

I have a similar setup as described by @flyride. Pfsense is directly connected to my ISP's modem and I have OpenVPN set up on it. I also have the OpenVPN setup on the XPEnology in-case for some reason I cannot access Pfsense's OpenVPN but if that happens it usually means the ISP is down or a power outage anyway.

do you have pfsense set up on a raspberry pi gadreel?

Edited by AbleArcher

1 hour ago, AbleArcher said:

hmm i dont know its not something ive thought about, this is all fairly new to me, ive got a couple of raspberry pi's knocking about not doing anything and thought id try the pi  gateway if its not going to be too hard to set up.

do you have pfsense set up on a raspberry pi gadreel?

Nope, I bought the pfsense SG-1100 Firewall Appliance. https://www.netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-1100.html