Installation on IOMega PX4-300R

My PX4 recently failed and all attempts to recover using various resources from the Internet (as Lenovo no longer provide any support) were unsuccessful at resurrecting it.  There appears to be nothing wrong with the hardware, the CMOS battery had gone flat but has been replaced.  I thought I'd have a go at installing XPenology as I replaced the PX4 with a Synology RS819.

After spending a lot more time on this than I had expected, I am now hoping someone else has managed to do it.  I can boot the loader off the USB and get the GRUB screen on my Putty screen, but when selecting any of the options, I get messages saying

error: no suitable video mode found.
error: no suitable video mode found.
Booting in blind modeBooting in blind mode

But as far as I can tell, it doesnt. I have put the correct MAC addresses and USB IDs in the grub.cfg file.

If anyone has been successful with a PX4 that can help, it would be much appreciated.

what loader and dsm type did you use?

1.04b 918+ will not work, i has to be 1.03b, you might try 3615

On 1/8/2021 at 4:08 AM, GodZone said:

But as far as I can tell, it doesnt. I have put the correct MAC addresses and USB IDs in the grub.cfg file.

you dont need there two for just booting and finding it in network,, vid/pid is needed when installing dsm to disk and mac only when using WOL

Edited by IG-88

Some progress, the load now boots 1.03b and I can find the NAS over the network but when I try to connect, it says there are no disks.  I had the original PX4 configured with a 3 disk RAID-5 + spare, I am hoping I can possible retrieve stuff off the RAID volume so at the stage I only put the spare into the 1st disk position. But it isnt seen.  Can I login at the Diskstation logn: prompt?  If so what are the credentials?  I'd like to see what the kernel actual sees as devices.

7 hours ago, GodZone said:

it says there are no disks. 

if there is no specific controller you should see that its set in bios to ahci mode

dsm wants every disk to be as a single disk and then make a software raid using mdadm

there are limits on the controllers that can be used after loader 6.0 there where some drivers "lost"

you can try to boot a live/rescue linux and check with "lspci -k" about the drivers to be used, if its sata_* or pata_* then its not going to work, it needs to be ahci

maybe post what xou find with "lspci -k"

17 hours ago, GodZone said:

Hmm, looks like I might be out of luck with XPenology on this hardware then.

not so fast

you log shows 2 port ICH9 and if you cant switch them to ahci you cant use them

but there is also

01:00.0 RAID bus controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6440 SAS/SATA PCIe controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6440 SAS/SATA PCIe controller
        Kernel driver in use: mvsas
        Kernel modules: mvsas

and that driver is in my extra.lzma (not in jun's default driver set)

for 1.03b you would need the matching extra.lzma from here, just replace the one on the loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

88SE6440 would be a 4 port chip, so if you have 6 sata ports try different ones (maybe they have a different color or are separated)

and if the board has a pcie slot you could still add a pcie card there are different ahci compatible chips jmb585 is good (5port), depending on the pcie slot the bandwidth can get in the way

a picture of the backside had a slot and a spec listing hat a pcie 4x slot, so have a closer look

if its open back pcie and a 8x cards fits in you could also use a lsi sas controller to make use of the 4 pcie lanes (ahci controllers available would only use 2 lanes)

Edited by IG-88

Much closer, using your extra.lzma allowed the installer to find the disk and I went ahead and did a manual install of DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat which I think is what I should be using but that OS will not boot, I just get a blank screen on the console.

Edited by GodZone
Typos