XPEnology Community

Installation on IOMega PX4-300R

GodZone

Once again, me!

Followed the excelent tutorial, and managed to produce an USB bootable device, with loaded 1.03b and DSM from 3615, with the extra drivers on /part2.

Then try to boot from the device, and I am able to see the different install options, select bare metal (or something like that) but after that I get once again the error:
error: no suitable video mode found.
Booting in blind modeBooting in blind mode

😔 I think this is as far as I can go, thank you everyone for the detailed guides and helpfull discussion!

I never managed to get my PX4 to boot from the internal USB drive so have a USB stick in the front slot.  It has been running fine for a while now and so long as it does I while keep using it at home. We have had some power issues and if it stops, I have to put my laptop back on the serial port and go through pressing the reset button during power up etc, which is annoying but manageable. It has now been up for 145 days and I have 1.7TB of data on it. I built the boot USB as a DS3615xs and am still running only DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3.  I am reluctant to update further as it would mean dedicating more time to sort out issues and at the moment I don't see I would gain much.

I am not sure I can be of a lot of help. I can say that it is probably worth persevering as their is plenty of life left in the old hardware.

Thanks for your response GoDZone!

I also built the USB as a DS3615xs, and running it from the stick would not be a problem for me.

But for now I am not being able to get to pass the error mentioned earlier.

Maybe I am doing something worng with the drivers.

Once a DD the files to the USB I did not ended up with 3 partitions, but only with one, and in order to see the USB stick as a bootable option on the Boot Menu (F12) on the PX4 I had to leave it on UEFI mode (weird as I have read everywer that it has to be set on Legacy only).

Will keep digging, and let you guys know

Thank you very much, but it seems is the end of the road for this experiment.

I unzip the synoboot.img so I got 3 .img files (boot, image, legacy), partioned and formated the USB stick with the 3 partition acoording to what was supossed to happen once the synoboot.img was in place, and DD each of the files to the corresponding partition but with no luck.

It was fun, and for a moment I thought I had it. 🤣😂
If you leave the content of your USB, which would be the correct way to copy it to mine?

@JavierCairus Sounds like you're on the right track but the issue you mentioned "error: no suitable video mode found" sounds more like a grub or bios issue.
You could try overriding some grub settings as mentioned in this article: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2409853.
Also even if you are in blind mode, I don't know if you really need to see the screen at that point, just try discovering the network address with synology finder.

Thanks for the kind words on the guide I provided, if you want to dump your partitions for the usb here I can see if there is any feedback i can give.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Shrabok!

I was not aware that from that point on, I could try to find the device already, sadly, Synology Assistant or the page find.synology.com did not find the device.

I try booting on UEFI and Legacy options, as with boht I get to the point where I can choose from 3 option for DSM (baremetal, vmware, and the other), choose baremetal and once I see the "error: no suitable video mode found" wait for a couple of minutes and try to scan for the device.

Please find in this link the content of the usb stick, I was not able to copy sdb3 (the one that contains legacy.img).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HCmRGDaPRTyR5kw4i8z9DPoZ8qH1dNA6/view?usp=sharing 

One thing to consider, I created it using a VM with linux, not linux on bare metal, but I beleive there should be no problem with that.
Also I was wrong about the fact that after DDing the synoboot.img to the drive I only ended up with 1 partition, all 3 are there.

Thank you for everything!!

Hi @JavierCairus, From what you mentioned, it sounds like you're reaching the grub menu but upon selecting a grub menu item you go into the "error: no suitable video mode found".

I'm just going to go over a few essentials to see if we can eliminate any missed steps:

• Confirm you've downloaded the correct files to build xpenology (assuming 6.2.3)
  • Ensure you have the correct device information in grub.cfg
    • Generated Serial Number - https://xpenogen.github.io/serial_generator/index.html set as `set sn=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX`
    • System NIC MAC Address - ensure you have the correct mac address added for the correct network interface in format `set mac1=XXXXXXXXXXXX` and make sure your NIC is supported
    • Collect the PID and VID of your bootable USB - Make sure its correct and set as `set vid=0xXXXX` and `set pid=0xXXXX`
  • Ensure you have the correct storage details for your device (not all that familiar with hardware raid requirements, check documentation)
    • Make sure your raid controller is supported by the extra.lzma
    • Make sure your `set sata_args=` values are set correctly for your controller and disk layout
  • Ensure you unzip extra3615_v0.11_test.zip and replace extra.lzma
  • Recommended - Build your USB drive locally instead of on a VM (just incase the USB passthrough is causing issues), there are instructions for windows,osx and linux
  • Ensure your bios has set your usb as the primary boot device
  • Recommended - Use the synology assistant tool (finder url seems to have limitations)
  • Recommended - Check your NIC and Router for active link lights and that an IP was allocated once boot loader loads
  • Recommended - Allow grub to auto select the default entry

Lets start with that and see if anything changes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 2:08 PM, GodZone said:

If anyone has been successful with a PX4 that can help, it would be much appreciated.

Resurrecting a very old post

Have you managed to get DSM working on the unit and if so would you have a write-up that I can follow to get DSM installed ?