XPEnology Community

Installation on IOMega PX4-300R

GodZone

One question to the chefs: The info center gives me under general: Intel core i3-4130 / 2,5 GHz / 2 cores.

Clock speed is reported right, CPU name and number of cores isn't...

I assume, the first is only of cosmetic nature (thinking it's a DS3615) and says nothing about the computing ability of the system and it's still capable of using all 4 cores for virtualisation?

Otherwise, if I really need it, I could upgrade to E3-1275 v2 any time or even E3-1290 v2 (without video of course)...

My Apacer USB NAND arrived today, and this is what I did:

I cloned my stick to the NAND using dd (did it on my Mac)

dikutil list output after dd:

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 GB     disk4

1:                        EFI NO NAME                 15.7 MB    disk4s1

2:           Linux Filesystem                         31.5 MB    disk4s2

3:        Bios Boot Partition                         4.2 MB     disk4s3

/dev/disk5 (external, physical):

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *16.0 GB    disk5

1:                        EFI NO NAME                 15.7 MB    disk5s1

2:           Linux Filesystem                         31.5 MB    disk5s2

3:        Bios Boot Partition                         4.2 MB     disk5s3

so everything looks promising so far. (disk4 is the NAND disk5 the USB-stick)

I mounted the EFI-partition (disk4s1) and altered the grub.cfg file in the grub folder to match the VID/PID of the NAND.

Everything else I left untouched.

I changed the new USBNAND with the old one, holding the EMC stuff and fired up the machine.

In the BIOS I changed boot priority to the new NAND and continued booting.

After the test sequence the Intro screen message "Screen will stop updating shortly..." arrived as expected, but the machine never appeared in my network.

As I didn't change anything than VID/PID I'm a bit out of clues right now...

If someone's got an idea about what I might have missed or messed up, he/she would make me very happy.

The machine still boots up from the stick... 

So I thought maybe dd-ing ist not the right thing here and did everything again from the scratch, but now with the NAND, the whole OSFMount / Win32 Disk Imager thing... I was not altering the grub-file in whole, but taking the one that works with the USB-Stick and alter only VID/PID.

Again no boot further than "Screen will stop updating shortly..."

Edited by jollmo

5 hours ago, jollmo said:

So I thought maybe dd-ing ist not the right thing here

there is a tutorial doing on linux, dd is the right thing

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/25833-tutorial-use-linux-to-create-bootable-xpenology-usb/

5 hours ago, jollmo said:

I was not altering the grub-file in whole, but taking the one that works with the USB-Stick and alter only VID/PID.

just for booting and finding it in network the vid/pid does not matter, it matters when installing the *.pat.file

so your problem is elsewhere

if the system is uefi you need to boot the non-uefi representation of the usb

So the VID/PID is only for the first install, right?

Does the install writes any information back on the stick?

So that for every reboot it has to be THE stick you initially installed with?

That would could be the reason, why I can't reboot from the NAND. I think so, because I just cloned my stick to another one with dd and have the same problem.

Only the original stick is able to boot.

So maybe after dd we have to alter some other things on other places?

14 minutes ago, jollmo said:

So the VID/PID is only for the first install, right?

Does the install writes any information back on the stick?

So that for every reboot it has to be THE stick you initially installed with?

If VID/PID does not match, the stick cannot be used to boot.  It's not an install, it's permanent.

The stick is updated on install and every major update of DSM.

7 minutes ago, flyride said:

If VID/PID does not match, the stick cannot be used to boot.  It's not an install, it's permanent.

The stick is updated on install and every major update of DSM.

Ok, but what about my other thoughts?

Does the install-process writes anything back on the install media (USB stick) what prevents it from being cloned without altering something on the new media?

Has anyone here been successful in cloning his stick and booting from the clone?

On the partition with the extra.lzma is a file grub_cksum.syno

May it be that this prevents altering grub.cfg after the install, because the checksum will be checked?

EDIT:

No, it's not the case.

I was able to clone my stick via dd to a compact flash card in a card reader, changed vid/pid int the grub.cfg and succeeded to boot from that via the USB port at the back of the server.

So the NAND problem must be something completely different.

On the Mac as well under Windows it behaves exactly like the old NAND, but maybe they changed something I'm not aware of...

When ordering it as replacement for the old NAND I checked the compatibility as best as I could, but you never know...

Edited by jollmo

42 minutes ago, jollmo said:

Does the install-process writes anything back on the install media (USB stick) what prevents it from being cloned without altering something on the new media?

Has anyone here been successful in cloning his stick and booting from the clone?

No, the stick can be cloned just fine.  There is no checksum limitation on grub.cfg; it can be changed after the initial install.

• Thanks 1

OMG! 😳

I had a closer look at my original bootstick and found out, that I swapped vid and pid numbers accidentally... That was the working one...

On the other media I tried, I always put the VID in the vid column and the PID in the pid column as shown in polanskiman's tutorial...

As I tried numerous times, I accidently again swapped numbers as well on the compact flash card and suddenly it worked...

So now I also swapped VID and PID on the NAND and guess what:

I have a clean machine

No more stick in the back 🤗

It boots from the internal Apacer NAND and everything runs smooth.

Took me the whole day to find that solution...

I need a couple of beers now

Cheers everybody 🍻

Edited by jollmo

I successfully upgraded to Release 3 after adding the Fixup script and am now up to trying to get booting sorted out.

I cant find the onboard USB so I am assuming its just a chip on the mother board (hence not removable).  It gets identified during the boot as sdv 'Ut165 USB Flash Disk'.  I have dd'ed the content to an image file using 'dd if=/dev/sdv of=/PX4.img' but now I am a bit confused. During the boot, the kernel found my usb stick as sdu 'Lexar JD FireFly 1100 PQ' but once DSM was up, there are no device files for it so just dd from it isnt an option.

I am also now confused about the VID/PID that needs to be in the grub config. Some pointers would be appreciated now that I know my goal is probably achievable. BTW: Thanks jollmo for contributing to this post.

At least in my case I had to swap VID and PID to achieve a boot.

If you put in your numbers in google, for example 0x1643 0x0951, which is what I find on my Mac, asking System Preferences for my stick, it shows me: Silicon Motion Inc. Taiwan. 4/8/16GB. 0x090C. 0x1000. Kingston Technology Company. 16GB. 0x0951. 0x1665. Kingston Data Traveller. 4GB. 0x0951. 0x1643.

And that is exactly my stick I used for the first try booting up my px12...

So 0x0951 is the VID (Vendor ID), because it stands for Kingston Technology Company

Whereas 0x1643 is the PID (Product ID)

But to make it work I have to enter 0x1643 where in polanskimans tutorial the VID should be and vice versa...

If its not only in my case, the ( otherwise perfect and outstanding helpful ) tutorial maybe should be corrected?

In the meantime, I try to add 10G to my setup for speeding up the connection (I often have to work on big picture-material which sometimes is up to 3 GB of data) and the buildup of the softwares catalogue file...

I there's interest, I might add an tutorial how I (with your help!) converted the nearly useless Lenovo Server to an outstanding performing Synology beast... Just to give back a little...

Edited by jollmo

On 2/19/2021 at 2:52 AM, GodZone said:

I successfully upgraded to Release 3 after adding the Fixup script and am now up to trying to get booting sorted out.

I cant find the onboard USB so I am assuming its just a chip on the mother board (hence not removable).  It gets identified during the boot as sdv 'Ut165 USB Flash Disk'.  I have dd'ed the content to an image file using 'dd if=/dev/sdv of=/PX4.img' but now I am a bit confused. During the boot, the kernel found my usb stick as sdu 'Lexar JD FireFly 1100 PQ' but once DSM was up, there are no device files for it so just dd from it isnt an option.

I am also now confused about the VID/PID that needs to be in the grub config. Some pointers would be appreciated now that I know my goal is probably achievable. BTW: Thanks jollmo for contributing to this post.

@ GodZone: What are the VID/PID of your internal/onboard USB?

The onboard one is;

P:  Vendor=1307 ProdID=0165 Rev= 1.00

S:  Manufacturer=USBest Technology

S:  Product=USB Mass Storage Device

The only I used to boot from i.e. the XPenology loader is;

P:  Vendor=05dc ProdID=a761 Rev=11.00

S:  Manufacturer=Lexar

S:  Product=JD FireFly

Hmm, not getting very far.

I have dd'ed the individual partitions to the onboard USB, mounted /dev/sdv1 and edited the grub.cfg file replacing the VID and PID values with those above. Not able to boot from it, I dont get the grub screen on the serial console. I can still boot using the external USB and as yet I havent tried swapping the VID and PID values.

I get a 'Prepare to Boot to OS', but then a blank screen.

The USB device can as well be:

Product: USB Flash Disk 
Vendor ID: 0x1307 (Transcend Information, Inc.) 
Product ID: 0x0165 (2GB/4GB/8GB Flash Drive)...

Do you have an idea, where its located?

In my machine, it's located here:373211000_px4-3002.thumb.jpg.92247aef077aba33cd62a5e6dd2fc84e.jpg

(this is actually a picture of your board, the px4-300r)

here is another foto:

123636_2235_draft.thumb.jpg.c16cf7e4116a0e5d19972c92cb196ed2.jpg

the red marked area is the internal USB port.

The white pin is there to arrest the USB NAND in its place.

The pin layout looks like this: (looking at the back of the NAND)

661349744_PINLayout.thumb.jpg.89b268e9f09b64af6d460baf516a6551.jpg

(You can see the hole, where the white pin comes to rest)

Edited by jollmo

10 hours ago, GodZone said:

The onboard one is;

P:  Vendor=1307 ProdID=0165 Rev= 1.00

S:  Manufacturer=USBest Technology

S:  Product=USB Mass Storage Device

The only I used to boot from i.e. the XPenology loader is;

P:  Vendor=05dc ProdID=a761 Rev=11.00

S:  Manufacturer=Lexar

S:  Product=JD FireFly

Could you perform lsusb -ciu and post it here?

On my px4, that socket is empty as per the photo. So I am still asumming it is a chip. Trying to read the tiny writing on the chips is pretty hard so I havent managed to find it.

sudo lsusb -icu

Password:

|__usb2          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7) hub

|__2-7         05dc:a761:1100 00  2.00  480MBit/s 100mA 1IF  (Lexar JD FireFly R98A675RYBQ3BJAG5YX1)

2-7:1.0         (IF) 08:06:50 2EPs () usb-storage host1 (sdu)

|__usb3          1d6b:0001:0310 09  1.10   12MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (uhci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0) hub

|__3-1         1307:0165:0100 00  2.00   12MBit/s 98mA 1IF  (USBest Technology USB Mass Storage Device 00000000000389)

3-1:1.0         (IF) 08:06:50 3EPs () usb-storage host2 (sdv)

Another issue I am having is shutting down.  The last message on the console is syncing the SCSI Cache on the HDDs but the board never powers down.  I have to press and hold the power button.

Swapping the values didn't achieve anything.  I still get a blank screen.

Its interesting that during the boot of the external USB, there are messages to say that sdv1 and 2 may be corrupt as the volume was not properly unmounted. The filesystem on the internal is FAT-fs which I assume to be correct.

I have a vague recollection that the original internal usb oly had a single partition, I am starting to think I need to copy it to another stick and have a closer look.

my newly prepared one showed:

/dev/disk5 (external, physical):

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *16.0 GB    disk5

1:                        EFI NO NAME                 15.7 MB    disk5s1

2:           Linux Filesystem                         31.5 MB    disk5s2

3:        Bios Boot Partition                         4.2 MB     disk5s3

when attached to my mac using the "diskutil list" command in terminal...

And thats the NAND I'm booting from now.

If it helps, I can try to connect the original one (which I just removed, never altered) and look after the partition table...

Edited by jollmo

That looks pretty much identical to what I have so I am not sure what to try next.  And yes I did swap the VID/PID but that mad no difference.  It doesnt look like the firmware loader is starting grub at all.

Disk /dev/sdv: 979.3 MiB, 1026822144 bytes, 2005512 sectors

Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disklabel type: gpt

Disk identifier: AFB38D11-BCEA-4409-B348-F4FEEE602114

Device     Start   End Sectors Size Type

/dev/sdv1   2048  32767   30720  15M EFI System

/dev/sdv2  32768  94207   61440  30M Linux filesystem

/dev/sdv3  94208 102366    8159   4M BIOS boot

Command (m for help):

Hmm just copied my backup to a USB drive on my Mac and it showed the following

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):

0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *1.0 GB     disk4

1:                      Linux ⁨⁩                        1.0 GB     disk4s1

Mounting this on a linux VM, it has everything in the one partition which has an ext2 file system

(fedora)9e61c3f0-6b13-4a06-ac2c-b28ee43f38fc: la
total 2304
drwxrwxrwx. 10 root root     4096 Jan 17 17:45  ./
drwxr-x---+  3 root root       60 Feb 26 11:30  ../
drwxrwxrwx.  3 root root     4096 Feb 19 14:03 '@eaDir'/
drwxr-xr-x.  2 root root     4096 Aug  7  2012  ginstall/
drwxr-xr-x.  2 root root     4096 Aug  5  2013  grub/
drwxr-xr-x.  2 root root     4096 Mar 20  2020  images/
drwx------.  2 root root    16384 Aug  7  2012  lost+found/
drwxr-xr-x.  2 root root     4096 Jan 18  2013  SDKApps/
drwxrwxrwx.  2   99 users    4096 Jan 18  2013  SDKApps_old/
-rw-r--r--.  1 root root  2303079 Mar 20  2020  System.map-3.8.6
drwxrwxrwt.  2 root root     4096 Jan 17 17:44 '@tmp'/

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, hope this topic is still alive. 🙏

I recently digup an iOmega PX4-300R from its grave. It is running the latest firmware from Lenovo (the one that puts on it all the LenovoEMC branding), but it is still an old firmware relative to quantity of features and security issues, and offcourse, is an EOL device.

So I was doing some research in orther to install another OS/Firware on it, when I stumble upon this forum, so I inmediatly created an account so I can comment (sorry, not sorry for the spamy account).

This is how far I have come, I am able to connect through console/serial, enter BIOS (f2) and BootOrder (f12) menues. Disable UEFI and leave Legacy ROMs alone.
I have formated an USB stick with a bootable OS, I have choose from the f12 menu, to boot from the USB, then a message from GRUB appears, I press ESC, select Install then this message appears:

error: no suitable video mode found.
Booting in blind modeBooting in blind mode

And I am stuck, could you please provide me with further detail on how you setup the USB so your  PX4 was able to boot from it?
Then did you installed the OS on the internal storage or leave it running "live" from the USB?

Thanks in advance, I am not the most expert in low level system staff on linux (so clouse to the metal), but I beleive with some guidance I can get there as I have reach this point on my own 😂