XPEnology Community

Installation on IOMega PX4-300R

GodZone

My PX4 recently failed and all attempts to recover using various resources from the Internet (as Lenovo no longer provide any support) were unsuccessful at resurrecting it.  There appears to be nothing wrong with the hardware, the CMOS battery had gone flat but has been replaced.  I thought I'd have a go at installing XPenology as I replaced the PX4 with a Synology RS819.

After spending a lot more time on this than I had expected, I am now hoping someone else has managed to do it.  I can boot the loader off the USB and get the GRUB screen on my Putty screen, but when selecting any of the options, I get messages saying

error: no suitable video mode found.
error: no suitable video mode found.
Booting in blind modeBooting in blind mode

But as far as I can tell, it doesnt. I have put the correct MAC addresses and USB IDs in the grub.cfg file.

If anyone has been successful with a PX4 that can help, it would be much appreciated.

what loader and dsm type did you use?

1.04b 918+ will not work, i has to be 1.03b, you might try 3615

On 1/8/2021 at 4:08 AM, GodZone said:

But as far as I can tell, it doesnt. I have put the correct MAC addresses and USB IDs in the grub.cfg file.

you dont need there two for just booting and finding it in network,, vid/pid is needed when installing dsm to disk and mac only when using WOL

Edited by IG-88

Some progress, the load now boots 1.03b and I can find the NAS over the network but when I try to connect, it says there are no disks.  I had the original PX4 configured with a 3 disk RAID-5 + spare, I am hoping I can possible retrieve stuff off the RAID volume so at the stage I only put the spare into the 1st disk position. But it isnt seen.  Can I login at the Diskstation logn: prompt?  If so what are the credentials?  I'd like to see what the kernel actual sees as devices.

7 hours ago, GodZone said:

it says there are no disks. 

if there is no specific controller you should see that its set in bios to ahci mode

dsm wants every disk to be as a single disk and then make a software raid using mdadm

there are limits on the controllers that can be used after loader 6.0 there where some drivers "lost"

you can try to boot a live/rescue linux and check with "lspci -k" about the drivers to be used, if its sata_* or pata_* then its not going to work, it needs to be ahci

maybe post what xou find with "lspci -k"

17 hours ago, GodZone said:

Hmm, looks like I might be out of luck with XPenology on this hardware then.

not so fast

you log shows 2 port ICH9 and if you cant switch them to ahci you cant use them

but there is also

01:00.0 RAID bus controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6440 SAS/SATA PCIe controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6440 SAS/SATA PCIe controller
        Kernel driver in use: mvsas
        Kernel modules: mvsas

and that driver is in my extra.lzma (not in jun's default driver set)

for 1.03b you would need the matching extra.lzma from here, just replace the one on the loader

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

88SE6440 would be a 4 port chip, so if you have 6 sata ports try different ones (maybe they have a different color or are separated)

and if the board has a pcie slot you could still add a pcie card there are different ahci compatible chips jmb585 is good (5port), depending on the pcie slot the bandwidth can get in the way

a picture of the backside had a slot and a spec listing hat a pcie 4x slot, so have a closer look

if its open back pcie and a 8x cards fits in you could also use a lsi sas controller to make use of the 4 pcie lanes (ahci controllers available would only use 2 lanes)

Edited by IG-88

Much closer, using your extra.lzma allowed the installer to find the disk and I went ahead and did a manual install of DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat which I think is what I should be using but that OS will not boot, I just get a blank screen on the console.

Edited by GodZone
Typos

I just booted the PX4 again intending to do some more diagnostics and the system booted, did a lot of updates (to the drivers I believe) and now I can log in via the web and have completed the setup.  The PX4 only has 2Gb of RAM so I had OOM busy killing stuff off but have disabled stuff I dont use and it looks very promising.

On 1/17/2021 at 5:54 AM, GodZone said:

I just booted the PX4 again intending to do some more diagnostics and the system booted, did a lot of updates (to the drivers I believe) and now I can log in via the web

maybe you gave up on waiting to fast

on some system like older hpe microserver its know that udpate/install can take longer then the 10 min synology has set as default to wait

also when doing a fresh install with 6.2.3 the process will automatically download update3 (latest addition update to 6.2.3) and install that too, adding one more boot and some time

so about 30min might be possible that way for dsm and update to install

but when using serial console you should see some entries about the udpate and also the disk activity should be visible on the led's

the original 3615 comes with 4GB ram so it might be good to add some ram

• 3 weeks later...

For the time being I'm going to just run with the 2GB of RAM.  I have disabled everything I am not intending to use.

Is it safe to install Update 3?  The Updates screen says its available so it wasnt installed automatically.

My biggest query is booting. I would really like to be able to just power it on and have it boot from the internal USB drive. I can ssh to the box and that drive would appear to have the IOMega software still on it.  I am tempted to format that drive and duplicate the XPenology USB drive to it but have no idea whether that is a sensible thing to do or not. I think I should be able to dd from /dev/sdv to /dev/sdu

I see;

/dev/sdv1          962680  296040     617736  33% /volumeUSB1/usbshare

/dev/sdu1           15310   10472       4838  69% /volumeUSB2/usbshare2-1

/dev/sdu2           30642   13642      17000  45% /volumeUSB2/usbshare2-2

sdv1 being the internal and sdu being the XPenology one

On 2/4/2021 at 4:26 AM, GodZone said:

Is it safe to install Update 3? 

yes

On 2/4/2021 at 4:26 AM, GodZone said:

My biggest query is booting. I would really like to be able to just power it on and have it boot from the internal USB drive. I can ssh to the box and that drive would appear to have the IOMega software still on it.

you could transfer the loader to the internal usb module BUT you would need to match the grub.cfg to the usb vid/pid of the interal module

use lsusb to see these information

i guess you could use this guide to write the internal usb with the loader, you could boot a rescue linux from external usb to get the job done, that one can later come in handy if there are problems and you can also copy the content of the internal module (with dd) before overwriting it

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/25833-tutorial-use-linux-to-create-bootable-xpenology-usb/

Hi, I just registered, because I find this discussion very interesting.

I recently got an Lenovo px12-450 (which is a rebranded Iomega px12-450), which is a 12 bay enclosure, and as Lenovo doesn't support this machine any longer, I thought about installing DSM on it, as I also own a DS218+, which would make working with DSM on the px12 very easy for me...

Do you think it's worth a try or should I stay with the Lenovo system, which still works.

The CPU is a 2,5 GHz E3-1265Lv2 (ivy bridge) and I added 16GB of RAM, which should be more than enough.

The DS36xx line has got 12 bays as well, so it should work with Jun's loader 1.03b right?.

Any hint / help would be very nice, thank you!

Edited by jollmo

1 hour ago, jollmo said:

The CPU is a 2,5 GHz E3-1265Lv2 (ivy bridge) and I added 16GB of RAM, which should be more than enough.

The DS36xx line has got 12 bays as well, so it should work with Jun's loader 1.03b right?.

Any hint / help would be very nice, thank you!

why not, you can use the inforamtion from above, for testing you can use a normal usb flash drive (before rewriting the internal usb)

as long as you leave the internal usb the way it is and on use  single empty drive there is nothing changed and an your running system and you can test as mach as you like

most important is to have csm/legacy mode if its uefi bios and using the additional extra.lzma (because of the mvsas driver not persent in the default driver set of the loader)

• Thanks 1

Up and running :-) (after 1h work, incl. updates and reboots)

What a beast... Blazingly fast, didn't test much, the only encounter so far is, that it won't update from DSM 6.2.3-25426 to 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 because of a corrupt file?

Weird... Same error when trying to update manually... (just tried update 2, same behaviour)

I imported the configuration from my DS218+ and it looks very promising.

Trying to connect surveillance station with my IPcam doesn't work, as the password is incorrect, connecting over the web interface, the password is ok, have to check more...

Currently copying data, will go to bed now and keep reporting tomorrow...

P.S.: its easy to find the VID/PID of the internal USB, just go to System / info center / general / external devices and let the mouse hover over the internal USB, the VID/PID shows up after a second...

Edited by jollmo

4 hours ago, GodZone said:

Did you overwrite the internal USB ? I haven't yet

No, not yet, have to read a lot before and buy some more usb-sticks to have something to revert everything just in case...

But my plan is that at the end of the week, my px12-450 is a Synology Device...

I plan to remove some of the 3TB HDDs for better cooling, build a raid 5 of four 3TB and a raid 5 of three 8TB and leave the rest of the slots free so the heat won't be a problem and I have enough spares for every raid...

15 hours ago, flyride said:

So I implemented the script, after rebuilding my RAID due to removing and rearranging the HDDs and verified the install, all correct.

For the moment I'm unable to reboot, because DSM is still checking consistency, which will take another 24h I'm afraid, but tomorrow this time we will know, if I can upgrade to ver 3.

IP camera is fully working in the meantime :-) and I already migrated my photos (1,5TB) 

Thank you all for your outstanding work!!!

A working machine after less than 1h, new life for my big baby, yeah!

The next project will be installing onto the onboard USB, but for that I have to do more reading...

The module in the px is an Apacer managed USB NAND AP-UM001GK10CS-MSNRS, which is no longer available...

The replacement is AP-UM001GR13CS-2MST which I just ordered...

My plan is to keep the original NAND for the worst case and just attach the new one, after copying the existing boot stick (with altered VID/PID) to it.

Lets see...

In the time , waiting for the new module to arrive, I will solder an adapter from USB-A to the connector of the NAND for making things easier.