XPEnology Community

Can I add a GPU to my HP Gen8 Microserver to improve transcoding performance in Plex?

Church of Noise

Question

Dear all,

I've been running Xpenology for a while now (and love it!) mainly to use as a server for my media files, using Plex Media Server on the device and the Plex app on the devices where I want to play the media files (on the same network). (For completeness, running as a DS3615XS and DSM 6.2.2-24922 update 4).

Now I'd like to provide a bit more power to the system to support transcoding.

As I currently have the G1610T processor, I am considering these options:

1. Replace the CPU by a compatible Xeon E3 with included GPU (support Intel Quick Sync)
  2. Add a compatible GPU
  3. Both of the above :)

I was wondering which of the options above would be best, and which of those would support hardware acceleration support?

Thanks!
CoN

13 answers to this question

In plain language, you need a new motherboard and chip that supports 4th gen CPU's or later, and you must take care to purchase a CPU that has QuickSync (iGPU).

And as of yet, there is no functioning nVidia GPU support in DSM that I have seen (IG-88 will correct me if that has changed).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, flyride said:

In plain language, you need a new motherboard and chip that supports 4th gen CPU's or later, and you must take care to purchase a CPU that has QuickSync (iGPU).

And as of yet, there is no functioning nVidia GPU support in DSM that I have seen (IG-88 will correct me if that has changed).

So, that means no possibility for hardware transcoding on my current setup, even with another CPU if I understand all the above correctly.

(getting a stronger CPU would just bring more 'horsepower' to do the software transcoding)

Coming across @IG-88's efforts to realize nVidia GPU support, it seems wisest for now to see if (when :) ) that bears fruit, so I could get a suitable nVidia graphics card . The alternative is to get an altogether different hardware setup, which I'd rather not as that would turn out to be significantly more expensive...

Edited by Church of Noise

16 hours ago, bearcat said:

Out of curiosity, since I have been looking to further upgrade my G8, are you using the "non V2" version? 

The E3-1265LV2 seems to be hard to find for a nice price.

Yes, mine is the non V2 version which isn't quite as good as the V2 but much easier to find at a reasonable price. Just for information I'm running mine with 16GB ram, a Win10 VM, a DSM VM with beta 7 & several docker containers.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 1:44 PM, NoFate said:

Hi , also running here the 1265 CPU on HP gen 8... Verry good for software transcoding, but eats a lot of electricity...

Is there a way to add a GPU card ? Anyone tried to have hardware transcoding? Running 3615xs 6.1

Hi. I added a 1265L v2. To anyone coming back to this, I got mine of AliExpress. Spent about R2K (South African Rands) and took 3 months, but came through in the end.

Added a GT1030, cause the GPU choices were getting expensive for what can go into the Gen8.

Satisfied though. Does Plex and some other docker stuff. Kodi and Steam on Ubuntu 22.04 currently.

Anyone can recommend better GPU or let me know about eGPU's (dont mind a little lag).

Thought of Thunderbolt card to eGPU. Or any recommendations?

4 minutes ago, dwpZN said:

Hi. I added a 1265L v2. To anyone coming back to this, I got mine of AliExpress. Spent about R2K (South African Rands) and took 3 months, but came through in the end.

Added a GT1030, cause the GPU choices were getting expensive for what can go into the Gen8.

Satisfied though. Does Plex and some other docker stuff. Kodi and Steam on Ubuntu 22.04 currently.

Anyone can recommend better GPU or let me know about eGPU's (dont mind a little lag).

Thought of Thunderbolt card to eGPU. Or any recommendations?

And is Plex using that GPU card? Does it fit on the gen 8 microserver? I have already 1 slot occuped for internal data card for SSD storage ...  Don't remember anymore if there was a second...

Do you run 3615 ?

13 hours ago, NoFate said:

And is Plex using that GPU card? Does it fit on the gen 8 microserver? I have already 1 slot occuped for internal data card for SSD storage ...  Don't remember anymore if there was a second...

Do you run 3615 ?

The card attached. Dont laugh, i wish to upgrade but added this in January. Plex Docker, yes I set to use Hardware Transcoding when available option. Works well remotely, but again if i could get something to handle all formats, external GPU ... I'd consider that in this time.

JellyFin Docker shows the running of the GPU well (GPU all variable set for Plex and JellyFin. Can get decent IPTV streaming as well.

Would like to do more now.

image0.jpeg

13 hours ago, NoFate said:

Do you run 3615 ?

Not sure what 3615 is?