XPEnology Community

Has anyone installed on the new ASRock N3150-ITX

Anyone installed XPEnology on the ASRock N3150-ITX? I want to see if there are any issues and if I should wait till it's more widely used.

I want to build a NAS right now and it seems one of the newer boards available with Baswell is the ASRock N3150-ITX. The N3700 is not in stock it seems, and everywhere I asked says a few months out.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

created account to post here, works just fine on the ASRock N3150-ITX board, use the same advice given in the J1900 thread. Did not play with advanced stuff, as I am new to this but so far it's excellent(2x 320gb hdd's in Raid 1 and extra 3TB hdd, no raid). USB Key tested in the black I/O usb ports as well as front panel usb 2.0 on the case.

DSM: 5.2-5565 Update 2

I added also an Intel PRO/1000 CT NIC as the onboard Realtek adapter did not deliver consistent speeds.

Memory used: 1x KVR16LS11/8

Plex on local network works also ok, did not try transcoding yet.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

[spoiler=]

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2015.07.19 16:36:06 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
login as: root
root@192.168.1.204's password: 

BusyBox v1.16.1 (2015-05-11 02:57:09 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

NAS> cat /proc/vpuinfo       cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 76
model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N3150  @ 1.60GHz
stepping	: 3
microcode	: 0x33c
cpu MHz		: 1601.000
cache size	: 1024 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 4
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 4
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 11
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch ida arat epb dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms
bogomips	: 3198.45
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor	: 1
core id		: 1
apicid		: 2
initial apicid	: 2
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch ida arat epb dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms
power management:

processor	: 2
core id		: 2
apicid		: 4
initial apicid	: 4
power management:

processor	: 3
core id		: 3
apicid		: 6
initial apicid	: 6
power management:

NAS> exit

I hope this answers your question.

• 1 month later...

I just would like to know, if there is a big difference between Asrock Q1900-ITX and ASRock N3150-ITX except the CPU? Would there be a problem installing the XPEnology? Or can I just get the N3150-ITX as it is a bit faster and has a lower TDP then Q1900-ITX. Would it make sense to use an extra mSATA SSD for the OS?

Whait kind of RAID can I use with the ASRock N3150-ITX?

Hi Mr.D,

1. besides the CPU there is not big difference

2. had no issues installing XPEnology

3. performance wise they are almost the same, the main difference is TDP.

4. officially the board does not use msata, I see no point of using SSD for OS as it runs just fine off the usb key.

5. the board does not offer any on board raid support, regarding Raid, I used the default settings from xpenology that were offered.

• 4 months later...

Work great with N3150DC-ITX, 4x2 ram, 2x3 To Red, in a Elite 130 (expandability), idle 12 watt, playing music or accessing file 20 watt (at the power plug).

Even Quick Connect (with legale SN and Mac) works.

About 90 Mb/s on film transfert

:smile:

• 3 weeks later...
Confirmed.

It works perfectly with ASRock N3150-ITX.

A major upgrade compared to my good old DS-212j still working but slowly and 2 bays only.

Total setup costed me +- 200$ (without HDD's)

Now I have 4 disks in SHR and it flies with max 30W (15W idle) :smile:

thank you very much!

So I can buy this Mobo.

A question: are the 4 gb RAM enought?

wich model do you suggest?

thank you

Confirmed.

A major upgrade compared to my good old DS-212j still working but slowly and 2 bays only.

thank you very much!

So I can buy this Mobo.

thank you

I am not an expert but it looks like the memory usage never exceeds 1GB on my setup. Unlike some other NAS solutions like FreeNAS, Synology doesn't require a lot of RAM. You'd better double-check in this forum though :smile:

Be careful when you buy the RAM, you need SO-DIMM RAM like this one http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technolo ... Z627YE7E5Q

Edited by Guest

Confirmed.

thank you very much!

So I can buy this Mobo.

thank you

I am not an expert but it looks like the memory usage never exceeds 1GB on my setup. Unlike some other NAS solutions like FreeNAS, Synology doesn't require a lot of RAM. You'd better double-check in this forum though :smile:

Be careful when you buy the RAM, you need SO-DIMM RAM like this one http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35GYE/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BW2HXHTVYZ627YE7E5Q

Confirmed.

thank you very much!

So I can buy this Mobo.

thank you

Be careful when you buy the RAM, you need SO-DIMM RAM like this one http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35GYE/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BW2HXHTVYZ627YE7E5Q

Thank you!

I've bought the mobo with 4gb ram and 2 tb hd wd red..... The system start at first attemp

Very fast and simple to configure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Hello Hugh12. What do you want to know more precisely ? What kind of hardware you should buy or how to install xpenology ?

Hello Luc. I just placed an order for ASRock N3150-ITX. I would like to know how to install xpenology on this mobo. Thanks.

Reading this, and remembering different posts, I read that the n3700 had several problems like the turbo speed of the CPU, CPU always running, etc. Is there any problem with the n3150? I didnt buy any motherboard already and I need to choose: n3150 or q 1900? Thanks.

Reading this, and remembering different posts, I read that the n3700 had several problems like the turbo speed of the CPU, CPU always running, etc. Is there any problem with the n3150? I didnt buy any motherboard already and I need to choose: n3150 or q 1900? Thanks.

Choose n3150 of course. It's basically upgraded q1900. And DS716+ has n3150 originally, so maybe better compatibility.

@hugh12

There is nothing special with this mobo. It's the same installation process as the others. The default BIOS settings are fine and you can tune them slightly later on (fan speed, wakeonlan, power/speed profile, ...).

The installation process in a nutshell :

- from another PC, download the latest xpenoboot and DSM

- from another PC, install Xpenoboot on your usb key (with Win32diskimager for example)

- on your NAS, boot on the USB key (F12 might be required)

- from another PC, download, install and start "Synology Assistant". It should find your NAS. Install DSM from there.

- Enjoy :smile:

@Jauja

It's very difficult to verify even with various "ipkg" tools. From my experience : Turbo is not used, CPU throttling (lower frequencies) is used.

That said, I don't worry too much about it because :

1. everything is very fast including on-the-fly video transcoding (I didn't try H265 yet but H264 is not an issue at all). My network is my limit at the moment (real full duplex 1Gbits, 120 MB/sec measured from/to the NAS)

2. the power consumption of the CPU is low.

Thanks a lot, it's quite useful for me reading your answers and experiencies before buying the motherboard, I say this beacause I've seen that the q1900 CPU is 2.00 GHz and turbo 2.42 GHz, and the n3150 is a 1.6 GHz CPU and the turbo speed is 2.08GHz. The q1900 seems to have a better CPU.

@hugh12

There is nothing special with this mobo. It's the same installation process as the others. The default BIOS settings are fine and you can tune them slightly later on (fan speed, wakeonlan, power/speed profile, ...).

The installation process in a nutshell :

- from another PC, download the latest xpenoboot and DSM

- from another PC, install Xpenoboot on your usb key (with Win32diskimager for example)

- on your NAS, boot on the USB key (F12 might be required)

- from another PC, download, install and start "Synology Assistant". It should find your NAS. Install DSM from there.

- Enjoy :smile:

Thanks. Can't wait to receive the mobo and set it up.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

sorry to necro this thread but I'm new and don't appear to have the ability PM individuals. Had a question about the half size pcie mini slot on the board. Was wondering if anyone has been successful in finding a NAND storage device that will work with this slot and if so what is the make and model?