XPEnology Community

Request for Subforum: Working Hardware/Systems

rok1

Now that I've been a user of XPEnology for a while now, I've wondered why we don't have a subforum dedicated to working systems that users have made. Obviously the HP54/40 Microserver series are a big hit, but there are other very basic servers that work with XPEnology right out of the box. Take my Dell PowerEdge T20 for example. a cheap but very stable platform that has alot of room to grow. Also the forum could help keep track of what does/does not work out of the box. Trantor does a ton of work integrating drivers for SATA/SAS/NIC that somebody could help maintain a list for him.

I do apologize if this has been suggested before, but this forum gets a ton of hits/day and getting some organization might make things a little smoother for all.

I'm busy with a site with exact this.

I need some help with the design, so if you can help, it would be great. The site is far from production ready, but if it is wanted by the community then I throw a lot more time against it.

http://xpenology.azirly.nl/xpenology-systems

What would be a good way to list the systems?

what would be a good way to show a single system?

rok1, I am not sure a whole subforum would be a good idea as it would be hard to search through. An indexible and searchable sticky post or website would be easier to search through and also to maintain. It would also allow one to list devices through categories (like sub-$200, "plex" server, etc). If something isn't listed, people would reply to the OP and the OP would add it then a mod would remove the post (or preferably, the OP would be a local thread moderator so that it could be done in one fell swoop without the possibility of someone missing something.

There's also the option of a properly maintenance google docs "excel" sheet but those can get ugly...

That being said, having a subforum does have its merrits. There wouldn't need to be a specific person maintaining the post/website and thus if that person disappeared from the community, updating the list would not stop. Also, each thread subject could be prefaced with [out of box] and [instructions] (or [oob] and ). Out of box would be for devices that just work out of the box and being that it's a whole thread, for those devices that require instructions, the poster could add full instructions on how to get the box working. I also thing that the posts should be locked right after posting for anyone but the original poster. To avoid confusion, there should also be a predefined format which all posts must take. But... all this is moot point if we don't have the moderators to moderate it to ensure the quality of the posts. :razz: