XPEnology Community

Errors after installation

doppiej

Hello,

I installed XPEnology on a computer and it asked for DiskStation login. So I tried my username and pw and it said login: can't chdir to home directory '/var/services/homes/username'

And as well login: can't run /sbin/nologin: No such file or directory.

Then I also added the admin account and it gave the first error again but not the second and it gave this back:

BusyyBox v1.16.1 (2015-05-11 02:57:09 CST) built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Can anybody help me with this?

And in DSM I see that there is an update available, but I assume I should not update the system?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. I am assuming that you have followed one of the tutorials to install the system.

It looks like you are at the system console of the machine on which you have installed DSM. Normally you wouldn't use it after the installation but instead go to the web console at ipofyournas:5000.

Your first error message is there because you have not set up the user home service in the DSM control panel.

Yes, once you have successfully installed DSM, you don't need the monitor and keyboard attached to the machine. Let it run.

Once that is done, we are in Synology land. DSM is designed to hide all the Linux complexity from the user and to provide various applications and servces. Their web site has all the information needed to set up DSM and its applications - which gets me back to my point about what you are trying to do. The user home service is a standard DSM function that will automatically set up a "home" directory for all the users you create. Rather than me giving a step by step, it would be better for you to head over there where you will find all the information about what you can do with DSM. Oh, and while you are over there, don't say you are using Xpenology to host DSM, they will just send you away.

Over here is where you will find information about what hardware works - with which versions of DSM, how to make it work and issues people are finding with specific versions and hardware.

I will not make a new topic for this question:

I am not able to reach my NAS anymore. Even synology assistant is able to find it in the network. I changed some settings yesterday to make secure connections with https. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Can anyone help me because I am unable to reach/use it anymore :sad:

When I try the first one it gives errors on the: "type ifconfig eth0 IPofNAS netmask 255.255.255.0 up -> now you can connect via browser on the given ip"

When I do ifconfig there is also a strange ip address in the inet addr. Does it mean it gets a wrong ip address? I made a static ip in the router for my NAS.

Is this where it goes wrong?

Well, unplugging the ethernet cable and restarting it resolved the problem. Phew. Lucky me..

I also have the problem of always getting the following error in the bios: "162 - System Options Not Set" (it is an hp compaq 8000 sff)

I've already found something on this forum where the bios would reset after rebooting.

Can this be fixed? I always have to click F1 before it starts booting, which is very annoying because I want it to start right away without having to click something...

When I try the first one it gives errors on the: "type ifconfig eth0 IPofNAS netmask 255.255.255.0 up -> now you can connect via browser on the given ip"

When I do ifconfig there is also a strange ip address in the inet addr. Does it mean it gets a wrong ip address? I made a static ip in the router for my NAS.

Is this where it goes wrong?

I'm really hoping that you typed something like

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.99 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

What error message did you get?

and, yes you ought to be able to connect using the "strange" address that eth0 has - as long is in the same subnet as your PC.

Yes, but I guess I typed something wrong.

However, it works again after replugging the ethernet cable and rebooting.

But then I always get this at startup:

I also have the problem of always getting the following error in the bios: "162 - System Options Not Set" (it is an hp compaq 8000 sff)

I've already found something on this forum where the bios would reset after rebooting.

Can this be fixed? I always have to click F1 before it starts booting, which is very annoying because I want it to start right away without having to click something...

Hmm, this is really bugging me.

I tried anything to fix the bios error, but I can't figure it out.

I have WOL enabled so whenever I use it to wake it up I have to press F1 to continue but I just want it to startup right away without me having to press any buttons...